Sparrowhawk on the kill

Peskyfoxs

Going by the screeching I doubt it too

Great pics.

Those male starlings can do a bit of damage with that sharp beak....often the hawk will use its talons to kill it and keep its vulnerable eyes well out of the way until its dead.

I saw a young bird try and take a green woodpecker once and after about 5 minutes it wished it hadn't ! The pecker got away. !

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I often get remarks about shooting about the humaneness, and the badger cull recently had all that malarkey about certain amount of seconds to die etc...

However we let and watch with awe at animals killing their prey and nobody batts an eyelid. E.g some pictures of a young buffalo (i think, or could have been something such like) being killed by a Lion in yesterdays dailymail online. Was a young one and took an age to die whilst the lions tore at it's flesh whilst it writhed around on the floor and the adults were all watching and trying to stop the lions and tried to revive it when they had gone but it was dead...

Pretty horrific stuff - yet shooting is apparently worse?

Do love to see BOP out and about, quite buzz when you hear their huge wings going.

Saw same in our garden yesterday but was it was away as soon as I opened our door , I have seen it happen several times over past few years in our garden and wonder if it is the same bird or at least from same brood as once they find easy pickings they often return , I feed the songbirds and they in return feed the raptors , just wish I was as fast with my camera !

Good enough pics to enter into this years Countryfile competition. Well done sir. Unfortunately the subject matter may be a little raw for many armchair wildlife lovers :(

Funny how a freshly barbecued chicken leg or a piece of crispy brown bacon steaming on a plate doesn't even register as something that was ever alive...