Rifle or Shotgun?

tharsus

Which do you prefer? I know that each have their uses. I have not long got my SGC after years of rifles only and its becoming my favourite. I find it a lot harder to shoot a shotgun to a decent standard, thought I was a natural as my very first 60 bird sporting outings went something like 25,30,37,45 seems to have settled around mid 30s now though. first year on the syndicate and I have not hit much there either :blush: Found it pretty easy to shoot decent groups with my 308 (moa) out to 300 yards or so with just a 3/9x40 and bipod.

cheers

Was a shotgun man now a rifle man. Still use the shot gun but dont enjoy it as much as the rifle.

Bit the same here :yes: Shotguns are great, but round here, the shooting is really quiet for most of the year. You may get 1/2 a dozen good decoying days and blank the rest of the trips out. Somehow, the bag expectation is a lot less with the rifle and a few long shots on crows or bunnies with the rimfire is more than a match for any walk round with the shotgun. Plus, hardly anything to carry about :good::good: I'm having a lot of fun/use out of my CZ452 ,22 at the moment :good::good:

Which do you prefer? I know that each have their uses. I have not long got my SGC after years of rifles only and its becoming my favourite. I find it a lot harder to shoot a shotgun to a decent standard, thought I was a natural as my very first 60 bird sporting outings went something like 25,30,37,45 seems to have settled around mid 30s now though. first year on the syndicate and I have not hit much there either :blush: Found it pretty easy to shoot decent groups with my 308 (moa) out to 300 yards or so with just a 3/9x40 and bipod.

cheers

Pretty much identical to yourself here.

Although I shoot game reasonably well - I just find it easier to track and judge live quarry than clays, I guess.

ATB

Shotgun man here used shoot thousands clays when I was younger, then started game keeping and used rifle alot took while to get used to but got there and with that become more game shooting. Still shoot both but rather go shoot clays than targets and game than stalking or lamping. Imo there nothing more sporting and fun than good days pigeon shooting or wild duck flight.

I grew up a rifleman and more or less regarded shotguns as agricultural implements, until I was introduced to clay pigeon shooting. I very rarely shoot clays anymore but shoot live quarry on an almost daily basis with my shotguns. I would much rather go shotgunning than rifle shooting nowadays, but still enjoy my rifles, especially lamping bunnies.

Both present different challenges for me, I find trying to get a fox at night with the .223 around 200 yards just as challenging as trying to shoot a pinkfoot goose flying at 50 yards with a gale force wind in its favour with the shotgun!

I had been shooting shotguns for more than thirty years until I applied for my first FAC, I suppose this was because my father was a shotgun only chap and once he wasn't able to carry on I changed my direction. I still like to get out on the pigeons and crows but only seem to manage about half a dozen times a year. I just love my rifles now and find the times of day ( and night ) much easier to fit into my family life style, and then there is the reloading, butchery etc.

nothing beats the feeling of two successive shots and two lots of clay dust, equally however, nothing beats the feeling of putting successive bullets through the same hole!

Someone told me that introverts are more suited to rifle shooting while extroverts are more suited to shotgun, to some extent this is true but I think one can be good at and enjoy both.

They are both different tools for different jobs, I should see no appeal in hunting geese or duck with a rifle. Undoubtedly I am more capable with a rifle were I can stretch the limits, with a shotgun I have to wind them in "a mans got to know his limitations". I have all sorts of issues with shotgunning intermitent pull from my less dominant eye and overthinking the shot, rifle thinking requires more thinking through and it hard to find a truly great shot with both tools, though you might find a great shotgunner who thinks average with a rifle is actually great

The most challenging is using a lower powered rifle on outsize quarry and needing to get in real close. if you can get close enough to wary crows to use a 12ft lb airgun with regular reward your doing good

Both!

Depends on the situation.

I go round in circles, sometimes enjoy the laziness of my HMR on my permission and not having to get out of the car to kill a rabbit, then I enjoy going for a walk along a hedge and spinney with shotgun and then at the moment I am very much enjoying stalking in close with a springer airgun...