Pigeons in a cow field

Longchalk

Not many birds in this corner of Northants. It's practically all wall-to-wall mature rape and wheat here, for miles around. I haven't got a single field of peas or beans on any of my permissions, worse luck. So as an alternative, I've been out rabbiting in the evenings with an air-rifle. Now virtually every evening I've been there, (6pm - 8pm) in a cow pasture next to a warren I shoot, there have been hundreds of pigeons on the grass in amongst the cows. I can't shoot it for obvious reasons, but I'm puzzled what the attraction is for them? There's nothing obvious they are feeding on, just pastureland.

Edited by Longchalk

Is there no way you can shoot the fields safely ?i think you might be surprised how well they will decoy .I'm going this afternoon on grassland that's got chickweed and clover on , there's cattle on there but only twenty or so and they tend to leave me alone, famous last words. It's a super spot with a couple of sitty trees and one of those areas that always holds birds this time of year. I've shot some really good bags there over the years with my air rifle, I went out last evening and shot ten birds to start off with. I've been watching the field for a week or so and there's two hundred birds feeding there most afternoons,

Just shot over a grass field with chickweed in it today and managed a reasonable bag between the showers! Wind made it interesting with many never hearing the report from the 20 bore and coming in as their pals dropped. Fibre wads a must though.

Thanks guys. In my case it's not the biggest field, even though it's fringed by sitty trees. Currently it has around 20 bullocks in it, and they are fascinated with anyone that goes near them. All the while I'm rabbiting they follow me around wherever I go. Haven't spoken to the farmer about it but can't imagine he'd be too keen on me decoying a field with stock in it. Would rather give it a miss till he moves the cattle rather risk the permission.