The Island with Bear Grylls

955i

Ray Mears is good but he often rolls up in his landy with a trailer full of pots and pans. He certainly knows huge amounts but reckon Bear would have him in a fight!

I don't doubt he knows his stuff, but with the greatest respect, I'm weary of any survivalist that comes back plumper than when he left!

All I can say on Grylls, his read is book if your interested. He has done long stints of survival, even if not on TV. And thats down to him being passionate about it, not because he wanted money. Its a good book. I think I may have a copy if anyone wants it? (subject to me being able to find it)

Edited by OJW

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do these things always turn into Ray vs Bear threads?

They are both reasonably good at what they do, they both know far more than the vast majority of us and would both fair far better than 99.9% of us in any given survival situation. Are they the best out there.... hell no! there will be plenty of modest, unasuming survival and bushcraft experts out there who know more, are better practiced and more skillful than either Bear or Ray... Just like there are plenty of musicians (mostly classical) who are far better musicians, both in theory and practice than 99.9% of the musical stars out there that we all follow... Just like the rock & pop stars, Bear & Ray have found fame in what they do and along with the fame, fortune but just because they are famous and rich doesn't make them the best! (or even competent in a lot of "musicians" cases!)

Just take it for what it is... TV... and let's face it.. 13 blokes marooned on an island who, within 1 hour have sourced potable water, got a fire going, built a shelter and have started harvesting food whilst ensuring a great group dynamic and therefore keeping morale at its highest..... would make for pretty dull viewing! Sadly, it's in our nature to want to see misery, suffering and even death... wathching happy, succesful folk just doesn't have the same draw!

Edited by Vipa

Just take it for what it is... TV... and let's face it.. 13 blokes marooned on an island who, within 1 hour have sourced potable water, got a fire going, built a shelter and have started harvesting food whilst ensuring a great group dynamic and therefore keeping morale at its highest..... would make for pretty dull viewing! Sadly, it's in our nature to want to see misery, suffering and even death... wathching happy, succesful folk just doesn't have the same draw!

Well done that man! This sums it up perfectly.

• 3 years later...

Just watched them catch that well placed tranquillised cayman. They even had to open its mouth themselves to put place the noose.

Yeah - was the same last year, when in desperate need of food *bang* a relaxed Cayman appears out of know where 🤔 fake as ****.

Did watch it and as all other "reality TV" it gets worse each series.

Then they invite people to apply for the next series, there's a whole selection process in place to weed out anyone with an interest in bushcraft and the likes, I would have gone into the bush and found myself a nice bit of land after about the first week rather than put up with them moaning constantly.

Its just a tv show that gets interested people watching a selected few for a few edited minutes,just big brother on an island.

The Pigeon watch massive would have a hunting lodge built and wild pig and muntjac imported via the new harbour and made a fortune out of plastic bottle recycling.

Even if the selection process weeds out those interested and knowledgeable in the art of bushcraft and survival the people must have seen previous series of programs like this, or the previous series to have a bit of an idea of what to expect. They must have some notice of the timespan of when they are going out to arrange leave/holiday from their jobs/lives. So how come they haven't read up on stuff like making a fire. Ray does it in a jiffy. why do they spend most of the first day wandering through heavy foliage often round in circles to get to somewhere that they don't know exists? Why do they all moan about no food or water or shelter but swan about on the beach instead of getting anything sorted out. Why use up valuable energy cutting logs with a machete when they could put long lengths of tree on the fire and let it burn through and then put the ends on the fire. Why chuck up a shelter with such a shallow pitch of roof with so little palm leaf branches across ways instead of weaving from top to bottom. It almost looks like they do everything the wrong way for the camera and the programme. I like bear but I'd vote to be on Rays team. He knows where the best bushtucker is and he must find a fair bit.

Edited by fortune

Guest stevo

I stopped watching bear the day I saw this...... if you was cast adrift in the Pacific what are the chances you would have a blooming hose pipe.

Christ what would you say to the coastguard as they pull alongside ?

Oh i slipped 😂

Oh dear, I'd better go and put £5 in the swear box for mentioning RAY MEARS! OOPSS I did it again, oh dear I mentioned RAY MEARS Again. I'd better go and have a chat to the hound about the wind and RAY MEARS and things and head off to see the bank manager about​ a loan to pay out poor Bear about keep mentioning RAY MEARS. I'll go now.

Guest stevo

Oh dear, I'd better go and put £5 in the swear box for mentioning RAY MEARS! OOPSS I did it again, oh dear I mentioned RAY MEARS Again. I'd better go and have a chat to the hound about the wind and RAY MEARS and things and head off to see the bank manager about​ a loan to pay out poor Bear about keep mentioning RAY MEARS. I'll go now.

Ray mears ROCKS 👍 Imo

I find bear a little too intense. Where good old ray I find is more laid back and entertaining on tv.

I think it's fair to say if you was caught in a life or death situation. Either one would be good to have in your camp.

The bloke that I was apprenticed under had been sent out to Malaya during the war and he told me about how they used to dig a hole in the ground back away from the beach and it would naturally fill up with water that was fit to drink and not salty. I don't know how true that this would be but even if you boiled this water it would save poor little Mbongo having to treck for miles to get water from the spring. Failing that they could move the camp near to the source of the water.

Ray mears ROCKS Imo

I find bear a little too intense. Where good old ray I find is more laid back and entertaining on tv.

I think it's fair to say if you was caught in a life or death situation. Either one would be good to have in your camp.

GO ON find your way to the swear box. You uncouth person, mentioning RAY MEARS. OOPS I did it again I'll come with you.

Even if the selection process weeds out those interested and knowledgeable in the art of bushcraft and survival the people must have seen previous series of programs like this, or the previous series to have a bit of an idea of what to expect. They must have some notice of the timespan of when they are going out to arrange leave/holiday from their jobs/lives. So how come they haven't read up on stuff like making a fire. Ray does it in a jiffy. why do they spend most of the first day wandering through heavy foliage often round in circles to get to somewhere that they don't know exists? Why do they all moan about no food or water or shelter but swan about on the beach instead of getting anything sorted out. Why use up valuable energy cutting logs with a machete when they could put long lengths of tree on the fire and let it burn through and then put the ends on the fire. Why chuck up a shelter with such a shallow pitch of roof with so little palm leaf branches across ways instead of weaving from top to bottom. It almost looks like they do everything the wrong way for the camera and the programme. I like bear but I'd vote to be on Rays team. He knows where the best bushtucker is and he must find a fair bit.

My thoughts exactly. :good:

hello, not my kind of tv watching just like the jungle tosh, and the house thing whatever its called, ray mears can be interesting, seems the norm for reality programmes these days, but then each to their own.

You know you watch all them on series link,bet you could name all the winners,come on just admit it :rolleyes:

The bloke that I was apprenticed under had been sent out to Malaya during the war and he told me about how they used to dig a hole in the ground back away from the beach and it would naturally fill up with water that was fit to drink and not salty. I don't know how true that this would be but even if you boiled this water it would save poor little Mbongo having to treck for miles to get water from the spring. Failing that they could move the camp near to the source of the water.

I've been told this also, that and catching rainwater.

When the "old'uns" first went over the water to the "young'uns" island they found running water????always preferable.