Caught speeding - advice

djrwood

Although the general assumption is that the Police will play fair by identifying vans clearly, and making them visible, there is in fact no actual obligation for them to do so.

The Police are perfectly entitled to use more "covert" techniques to record speeding offences if they believe that this is necessary in a particular area.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why the Police would need to play fair. There are signs denoting speed limits. We all know what the signs mean - or we shouldn't be driving.

Just why would the Police need to give us an extra warning? Before any bright spark starts having a pop - I have one speeding ticket to my name, albeit five years ago.

It's 100 quid and 3 points

I would ignore the PW police. :good: Forget all the man down the pub baloney about there should be signs, or you should be able to see them or there must be 2 officers there it is rubbish. Where you stopped at the roadside and given a verbal Notice of Intended Prosecution? 41 in a 30 might mean a trip to court, what constabulary was it? Have a look on the pepipoo speeding forum http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

There is no magic get out of jail free card, you will have to accept the punishment as it is dished out. Try slowing down a bit in future and being more observant, good luck! :good:

I was caught doing 44 in a 30 and was a FP

Wait till your renewal.

Too irresponsible to stick to speed limits, are you responsible enough to hold a shotgun cert?

these are the questions the feo will ask.

Slightly OTT, i had six points when i last renewed. They were 2 years apart and they didn't question it.

Guest rimotu66

Wait till your renewal.

Too irresponsible to stick to speed limits, are you responsible enough to hold a shotgun cert?

these are the questions the feo will ask.

I hope this comment was tongue in cheek, if not then your comment is absolute nonsense , I had picked up a SP30 6 months before my renewal, included it on my renewal form and it was never mentioned at my interview, renewal granted for SG and ticket opened for my F/Arms.

That is the preferred MO of the PSNI (and the RUC before them.) Blind corners, hidden gateways, farm lanes. All are used.

They also use disguised unmarked vehicles to creep up behind you and clock the speed- white vans, people carriers and the like. Vehicles used for this are unwashed to look more normal. In the bad old days, most police cars were unmarked but you could spot them by the bullet proof glass and the was the armour plating made them sit very low. Traffic branch are much more sneaky now!

What I'm saying is that in this part of the UK that behaviour is entirely normal. The fact you couldn't see them does not matter- you were speeding. Plain and simple. Take it on the chin and move on.

Edited by Big Al

Ha i love this! There really are some class a knobs on here! But then again i was a knob for speeding in first place so it all levels out i suppose

The guy who commented about my feo, i assume thats a joke, otherwise youre a bit of a wally.

Ill take all the comments about kids running out as fair enough, although you dont know the area i was in. The area i got caught was at the end of a village with no houses and just before speed limit turns into a 50. I dont speed through villages as i know a bloke at work, that killed a young boy who ran out from behind a car. He was going under the speed limit and still couldnt avoid him. The pain he feels must be nothing compared to the lads dad. And with a son of my own its just something i dont do

I said to the old bill today apologies and ill take the points and 100 fine on the chin as i was speeding, to which there is no defence. He was suprisingly sound and said he thinks its likely ill be offered the speed awareness course rather than points.

I just thought the way they hid up and caught me was unfair. The section of road is straight and without hazards. They also had an older woman in before me and another two people pulled up after me, so its obviously an easy place to pick people up. Its hard to keep off the gas when the road opens up the way it does, but ill know for next time

Cheers lads anyway, been a decent read! On a brighter note, its my birthday on tuesday so im going to be blind drunk tomorrow and be taxied by the wife. Hopefully her foot will be a bit lighter than mine

Edited by djrwood

Guest rimotu66

I said to the old bill today apologies and ill take the points and 100 fine on the chin as i was speeding, to which there is no defence. He was suprisingly sound and said he thinks its likely ill be offered the speed awareness course rather than points.

:good:

Cheers lads anyway, been a decent read! On a brighter note, its my birthday on tuesday so im going to be blind drunk tomorrow and be taxied by the wife. Hopefully her foot will be a bit lighter than mine

Happy Birthday for tomorrow (don't forget not to drive early the day after :whistling: ) :ernyha::yay::birthday:

That is the preferred MO of the PSNI (and the RUC before them.) Blind corners, hidden gateways, farm lanes. All are used.

They also use disguised unmarked vehicles to creep up behind you and clock the speed- white vans, people carriers and the like. Vehicles used for this are unwashed to look more normal. In the bad old days, most police cars were unmarked but you could spot them by the bullet proof glass and the was the armour plating made them sit very low. Traffic branch are much more sneaky now!

What I'm saying is that in this part of the UK that behaviour is entirely normal. The fact you couldn't see them does not matter- you were speeding. Plain and simple. Take it on the chin and move on.

Yes Big Al you are right. HOWEVER and for far too long road traffic enforcement was not a priority in Northern Ireland as the police had far more important things to deal with - as a result, I believe that NI had one of the worst set of statistics for RTAs, fatalities & injuries, bearing in mind our small population, relatively uncrowded yet good road network and so it became a kind of little boy racers' paradise. Thankfully, those days are now over and PSNI are cracking down hard on drunk and dangerous driving and excessive speeding .

From the posts this evening, it seems that most PW members have zero tolerance towards speeding - excellent - and we all know of tragedies that have been inflicted by those who thought they were God's gift to driving and could just ignore the speed limit - excuses, excuses, excuses - we have heard them all.

Then for the OP who somehow thought he could get advice from PW Members on how to "get off" or mitigate his crime, only to be then told that he had been a very silly boy, and then to now slag them off - he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself - points and a fine and the stigma attached should be his due - no speed awareness course or mitigation - he shows little or any remorse for his irresponsible and stupid behaviour.....

Man up and take the punishment - you were stupid, dangerous and just plain wrong.

Ashamed for doing 40 in a 30?

On which planet?

The natural eb and flow of traffic is 40 in a 30 and 80+ in a 70 in good conditions.

It's revenue collection pure and simple.

They were out round my way today trapping a road that used to be 60, was then made 40 and then truncated down from 40 to 30 in but a few yards. It's an accident free, clear straight road, it's Saturday so there's no school kids and they were tucked away the other side of the 40 sign.

Edited by Mungler

Some terrible comments on this thread and I would love to see all these perfect drivers driving, 90% of people will speed yes its illegal but most of us do it. This will not bother your flo 1 bit as my license has been a million times worse than this 12 points court appearances and so on (and no Im not bragging) If you get the course grab it with both hands.

It would help if speed limits were set sensibly BUT......

When a local Councillor 'asks' for a speed limit because he's had residents complaining and then, after compliance by the engineer who's career depends on toeing the line, the police are 'asked' to enforce it and bingo everybody but the engineer is happy.

There is a way to set speed limits, there is even guidance, so everyone is doing roughly the same thing but, like firearms licensing, some people dont take advice well.

Dont always blame the police. We should all stick with the speed limits, when they are reasonably set and for a good reason - another similarity. Bad speed limits are a bit like Durham.

Edited by Kes

Ashamed for doing 40 in a 30?

On which planet?

The natural eb and flow of traffic is 40 in a 30 and 80+ in a 70 in good conditions.

It's revenue collection pure and simple.

They were out round my way today trapping a road that used to be 60, was then made 40 and then truncated down from 40 to 30 in but a few yards. It's an accident free, clear straight road, it's Saturday so there's no school kids and they were tucked away the other side of the 40 sign.

Dear Mungler

Fortunately, there is no sort of self-selection process where a driver can decide if they can break the law or not - the police have an element of discretion [as has been posted already on this thread] but 40 in a 30 is just plain wrong - the signs are there for a reason and should be respected.

It is not an a la carte menu where we can pick and choose and if you get caught breaking the law, then you have to just take the consequences.

all the best

Dear Mungler

Fortunately, there is no sort of self-selection process where a driver can decide if they can break the law or not - the police have an element of discretion [as has been posted already on this thread] but 40 in a 30 is just plain wrong - the signs are there for a reason and should be respected.

It is not an a la carte menu where we can pick and choose and if you get caught breaking the law, then you have to just take the consequences.

all the best

Its exactly that, if someone wants to do 40 in a 30 then so be it, they will more than likely get caught and pay the price but the can and do pick and choose to speed or not.