Thomas the Tank Engine is Classist, Sexist and Racist!!

Reece

Only in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

Seriously, I can't tell if this is a joke article or not.

To be fair the comments are mostly ripping the **** out of it.

BTW Reece, the guardian's climate change coverage is about as factual as that article.

Nial

Edited by Nial

To be fair the comments are mostly ripping the **** out of it.

BTW Reece, the guardian's climate change coverage is about as factual as that article.

Nial

I enjoyed the comments as well. There's some funny ones in there if you have a good look.

I find the guardian to be more reliable than most for climate change, considering they have scientists writing occasionally (in contrast, this article is entirely an opinion piece). But let's not derail the thread.

Quite right. You wouldn't believe the things him and Ivor the Engine got up to in the green room after filming - the BBC knew but they covered it up.

Apparently Spencer is a tank engine fiddler but Sir Topham has lost the file with all the evidence.

I wonder what the Guardian would make of the book I still have from my childhood?

"Little Black Sambo" is staying in my bookcase no matter what the PC brigade say.

I have an old book with a similar title.

I have put it away so the kids don't find it. Not that they would see it as racist , they are only six and don't see things that way. To them it would just be a book. But I would not like them to go into school and talk about the book. I will when they are older and can understand these things show them the book. After all it will belong to them one day , you never know it might even be worth some money one day. As time goes on I bet these are harder and harder to find as people have binned them

It's sad really as these little books are seen as "no go" areas for kids. As they were never intended to be racist , they were just story book about people from other parts. Of the empire,

My kids have lots of books. And most modern books have people of all colours in them and story about both .

Just like the nursery rhyme - "Baa baa rainbow sheep".

Right, I'm going to have a quick 'thought shower' (Brainstorm is apparently rude to those who are mentally impaired) - on a few more of these PC issues.

I have a big interest in other cultures (I need to with my job, as I visit many) - and one of my friends and clients is Bengali, he classes himself as 'brown' and hates being referred to as 'black' or 'coloured'.
His reasoning is that he literally is brown, and not black and that coloured is too generic in the way that even white is a colour too. Very interesting guy to talk to about that type of thing.

When asked about if he get's upset at being labelled as his colour to point him out in a crowd his answer was "Well, you'd notice that I was brown before you'd notice I'm chubby... "

The PC brigade seemingly get's most of their issues from committees and sub committees making issues up so they can get paid for doing nothing else with their lives.

When our son was little he was a Thomas devotee and we had to endure endless hours of Ringo Starr's nasal intonation. It was lightened somewhat by his childish tendency to separate words into distinct syllables, the corpulent chap in the top hat became four separate words, implying an overweight rotating gynaecologist.

How we (I) laughed!

My daughter was taught Ba Ba Black sheep and has not come up with any racial views one way or the other. Her friends are a mix of races,creeds and cultures.

Sure the chimney emissions contributed to global warming?

I apologise for watching Thomas the Tank Engine, Noddy, Tin Tin and other programs I now know to be racist/sexist as a child. I shall turn myself in for my shameful crimes. Hopefully with re-education I can one day re-integrate within civilised society. :whistling:

Tom

Edited by TriBsa

I apologise for watching Thomas the Tank Engine, Noddy, Tin Tin and other programs I now know to be racist/sexist as a child. I shall turn myself in for my shameful crimes. Hopefully with re-education I can one day re-integrate within civilised society. :whistling:

Tom

Next thing you know they will be investigating Big ears in operation yew tree.