Going With Your Gut

pigeon controller

Friday saw us as usual heading for the stubbles and as JDog had said previously we were out too early to find birds feeding but we had to to beat other " Butterfly Shooters". We checked a number of farms in our circuit only finding moderate numbers. So we went with our Gut feeling knowing that certain fields/ Flightlines produce birds later in the day. We had two fields to chose from and we picked one and set up . George from Proper Cartridges had arranged delivery last Friday in the field of 1K of 32gramm 6s , so this week all I had with me was these cartridges. It was approx 12.00 when we started to shoot and the initial rush of birds was encouraging, the cartridges were impressive on the far shots hitting hard and dropping solid.On decoy shots we try to shoot the wing or head as to not damage the bird too much. but a few of these were "Oven Ready" as I believe the the shot pattern was still tight. The expected afternoon flightline never started so we packed up at 17.00 so we could have a look round for the next day. We ended the day with Seventysix pigeons and five crows. When we left we looked at the other field and approx two hundred birds lifted off as we drove into the field, so much for my gut!!!!

Saturday , saw us looking in a slightly different area as we had been told of a huge flock of bird visible from the motorway, we know this field well and last year we had a 300plus bag off it. So driving into the farm we met the Farmer who told us the wheat was cut last Saturday but he had not seen much on it . Again going with our gut we knew this field can produce from mid day onwards. As we drove onto the field it was empty , not a bird, We said we would give an hour and decide,so we set up and waited, it was now 11.00 and we had set the pattern further out than normal so we could shoot incoming birds with the tighter pattern we had experienced the day before. This gave us the advantage that the birds came with more confidence as the pattern was further out. I'm Not on Commission but the shells were very good once we had settled into them and the single crow we shot was jaw droppingly high and it just folded and it was mega. After the first hour we had shot twenty birds but decided to stay and give it a go.As our gut predicted the birds started to come at 13.00 and we finished at 18.00 picking up two hundred and twentytwo pigeons and one crow.

7fe382a7-f01a-4f37-a03d-18dc7c419b95_zps

8b725e5f-73f1-404c-8d49-922c9d76bf22_zps

Edited by pigeon controller

Good going as usual.

In saying that you go out too early I forgot that you are normally in competition with other shooters. The great advantage of having sole shooting rights is that I can stay in bed before ambling out in the afternoon.

It's also very handy when you get the local serfs to run around the surrounding field to spook the birds to your preferred shooting location?????? Of course I'm not jealous .

That is a fantastic achievement , well done.

Your posts are always a great read and so inspirational I show them to my kids. Here on the west coast we don't have any stubbles and only the big woods hold woodpigeon in any number you would be doing well to shoot 222 in a lifetime never mind a day.

Well Done :good:

I doubt that the 'propers' are any better than the loads you normally use.

Hi, Motty, there's probably not any great difference but they are value for money as they are cheaper than others.if the price for pigeons and diesel had kept pace with the cost of cartridges there would be no need to source cheaper options. I buy probably twelve thousand shell a year circa £ 2,500 ( at current prices) and £ 120 of diesel each weekend £5,300 per annum. So my Sport costs me approx £ 160 per week so any reduction in that cost is an advantage and now that I've reached the ripe old so sixty six it all helps.

Hi, Motty, there's probably not any great difference but they are value for money as they are cheaper than others.if the price for pigeons and diesel had kept pace with the cost of cartridges there would be no need to source cheaper options. I buy probably twelve thousand shell a year circa £ 2,500 ( at current prices) and £ 120 of diesel each weekend £5,300 per annum. So my Sport costs me approx £ 160 per week so any reduction in that cost is an advantage and now that I've reached the ripe old so sixty six it all helps.

You do spend a lot on your shooting and I admire your dedication.

I reckon you've got a few quid tucked away, though. :yes: