Eating in England in the 60's

Jega

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday dinner consisting of roast beef, pork, or lamb, no chicken, home grown veg, (those first earlies ! ) listening to family favourites ? on the home service, bfpo . sunday tea ham on the bone salad, followed with strawberries and carnation milk, Later in the sixties discovering girls before tights were invented,

Yes! The humble Rabbit adorned the table come Sunday! Then in the 80s , along came Chicken! Now if you mention Rabbit as a meal, The country screaches to a halt in disgust and horror :rolleyes:

Binmen WORKED lugging galvanized bins to the back of the cart. Not wheeling them about! They akso took loose bags too, not left them on the street.

Black outs were common place, and we had candles in every drawer. Parrafin lamps and heaters were know to us as kids. Spending weekends chopping fire wood, newspaper on a string hung on a hook instead of loo roll.

3 cars on the whole estate instead of 3 on each drive!

We played with gollywogs without fear of being lynched by a PC zealot!

Radio was king! I was a teen when we got our first TV!

Shooting tins in the woods was a perfectly normal thing! Now your carted off as a criminal under firearms legislation!

Belted ears if you clowned in the class room!

Trousers held together with patches and nobody gave a flying fig. Nower day you look at that and think "Neglect"

Communities were warm and friendly, now they are suspisious and broken.

You very rarely saw a foreigner, unless you went on holiday abroad.

There were loads of open rolling fields, now just loads of housing estates.

There was no waiting to be seen at Hospital.

Trains were on time and fun to be on. Heads out of the door windows while traveling at light speed, Trying to catch your breath :D

buses had 2 doors.

Parks were safe even at night.

1p would get you 4 chews

We used lead based paints

man the list is endless.

Dolly blue in a bag to get the white washing really white. Mixed wash loads were unheard of.

The first electric washing machine we had was a single tub with a wringer.

Mums excitement when Dad got her a gas cooker and the old range got replaced with a normal coal fire.

The smell of burning oak logs in the fire.

Getting washed and dressed in the kitchen because the bedrooms were too cold in Winter. Hot water bottle to toast your feet on.

Putting milk in a bucket of salt water on the pantry floor in Summer.

The galvanised mesh meat safe to keep the flies off. Meat was only bought as it was needed to be cooked and eaten promptly. I was 15 before we got our first fridge.

Dolly blue in a bag to get the white washing really white. Mixed wash loads were unheard of.

The first electric washing machine we had was a single tub with a wringer.

Mums excitement when Dad got her a gas cooker and the old range got replaced with a normal coal fire.

The smell of burning oak logs in the fire.

Getting washed and dressed in the kitchen because the bedrooms were too cold in Winter. Hot water bottle to toast your feet on.

Putting milk in a bucket of salt water on the pantry floor in Summer.

The galvanised mesh meat safe to keep the flies off. Meat was only bought as it was needed to be cooked and eaten promptly. I was 15 before we got our first fridge.

Our first washing machine was a Burco, it had a mangle but the agitator was a manual one, you had to bolt the lid down and put the handle on the top and then work it like mad for an hour or so, then the mangle and rinsing! The twin tub appeared in our house in the mid sixties, blimey, mum was so chuffed! Those things were so big, most modern houses wouldn't have room for them.

Our first washing machine was a Burco, it had a mangle but the agitator was a manual one, you had to bolt the lid down and put the handle on the top and then work it like mad for an hour or so, then the mangle and rinsing! The twin tub appeared in our house in the mid sixties, blimey, mum was so chuffed! Those things were so big, most modern houses wouldn't have room for them.

My dad worked Nights (and days) and we were one of the first to have a TV It was in a box the size of a small car and had a 6 inch screen on this the whole neighbour hood watched wagon train, which was the only programme on I think,

We had a Radiogramme. It was a beautiful piece of wooden furniture in its own right. Big lift up wooden lid, size of a large sideboard. A box of very sharp metal needles to play the 78 records and the radio made a fizzing noise while it warmed up.

Big bakelite knobs to tune in the few radio stations. Radio Caroline the first pirate radio station.

Ratching about and ratting on the local council tip with Milbro catapults and using hammered flat and then chiselled out lead piping for projectiles; placing pennies on the railway lines for steam trains to flatten;creeping into the 'keepers cottage when we knew he was out to have a gander at his shotgun hanging over the fireplace; nicking apples and pears from orchards; and on one unforgettable occasion following a couple of sweet shops being flooded when the river broke its banks, finding boxes, packets and rubbish bags full of sweets of all description on the local tip and taking them home by the bucketful! :) 'Tattie picking' on local farms; the entire class going on 'nature walks' where we would collect Rosehips by the bagful for the dinner ladies to make into Rosehip syrup which we poured on our Tapioca and Semolina. Not forgetting scratching yourself raw after someone put some of the seeds down the back of your collar. Pink custard and peas pudding (not together obviously) and thick slices of luncheon meat with mashed potatoes. 'Smash' and 'Vesta' dried chinese meals were the height of sophistication when they arrived in the '70's.

I recall a mate coming to school one day with a cap on, and when I asked him why he was wearing it he took it off to show me his patchy scalp, covered in ringworm. The school nurse shoving her hand down the front of your keks for a fondle...I can't get a nurse to do that nowadays for love nor money.

Edited by Scully

Ratching about and ratting on the local council tip with Milbro catapults and using hammered flat and then chiselled out lead piping for projectiles; placing pennies on the railway lines for steam trains to flatten;creeping into the 'keepers cottage when we knew he was out to have a gander at his shotgun hanging over the fireplace; nicking apples and pears from orchards; and on one unforgettable occasion following a couple of sweet shops being flooded when the river broke its banks, finding boxes, packets and rubbish bags full of sweets of all description on the local tip and taking them home by the bucketful! :) 'Tattie picking' on local farms; the entire class going on 'nature walks' where we would collect Rosehips by the bagful for the dinner ladies to make into Rosehip syrup which we poured on our Tapioca and Semolina. Not forgetting scratching yourself raw after someone put some of the seeds down the back of your collar. Pink custard and peas pudding (not together obviously) and thick slices of luncheon meat with mashed potatoes. 'Smash' and 'Vesta' dried chinese meals were the height of sophistication when they arrived in the '70's.

I recall a mate coming to school one day with a cap on, and when I asked him why he was wearing it he took it off to show me his patchy scalp, covered in ringworm. The school nurse shoving her hand down the front of your keks for a fondle...I can't get a nurse to do that nowadays for love nor money.

We too used to collect Rosehips for school and got a badge for collecting each stone of them. I think they went to make rosehip syrup which was doled out to us along with free orange juice to make us big and strong. Its gone the full circle now,,,I take Rosehip capsules to fend of the worst discomfort in my arthritic knees .

Going down the local pond with a net and a jamjar and coming home happy covered in mud.

The only thing the school nurse did at our school was check for nits.

Oh Yes we had the close encounters of the school nurse at least once a year but it seemed to stop when we were fourteen and I think we know why :whistling:

Great thread keep em coming

Oh Yes we had the close encounters of the school nurse at least once a year but it seemed to stop when we were fourteen and I think we know why :whistling:

Great thread keep em coming

I remember doing the coughing test at school, what was that all about ? also collecting great crested newts from the local farm pond plus just about anything else that flew crawled or swam

Nice to look back through rose tinted glasses, but if it hadn't been for you hippy dropouts in the sixties we probably wouldn't have had the drug culture we have today.

Just saying :)

the only dope we had back then was what we put on model aeroplanes.

Yes! The humble Rabbit adorned the table come Sunday! Then in the 80s , along came Chicken! Now if you mention Rabbit as a meal, The country screaches to a halt in disgust and horror :rolleyes:

Did myxi start in the early 60's, I remember going around as a lad clubbing rabbits to death, what a waste

We too used to collect Rosehips for school and got a badge for collecting each stone of them. I think they went to make rosehip syrup which was doled out to us along with free orange juice to make us big and strong. Its gone the full circle now,,,I take Rosehip capsules to fend of the worst discomfort in my arthritic knees .

We got 3 pence in old money a pound for rosehips which had to be topped and tailed, collected and weighed at the school. This went on into the 1950's as I recall. So can you still buy rosehip syrup and if so where do the rosehips come from today to make it. One thing I remember is that it tasted a lot lot better than the cod liver oil which was a daily dose the winter through.

Blackpowder

Did myxi start in the early 60's, I remember going around as a lad clubbing rabbits to death, what a waste

Came through the south east Borders around 1954 -55, it killed a whole trade in rabbit catching and transporting to cities.

Blackpowder