Eating in England in the 60's

Jega

Smiths crisps with a twist of salt in blue paper. Popeye and beans on toast, dad going off in the evneing to 'choir practice' at the local PUB.

Rabbits by the bucket load and scrumping. Fairs and sledging. Nice people, good times even real gypsies who were respected everywhere.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spud picking for "harrowings" which were missed by the spinner first time round for 5 shillings a day. Backbreaking work but between two of us enough to raise the £2 pounds 10 shillings we needed to buy a BSA Cadet .177.

Gathering anything edible from hedgerows like the wild plums we found once and carried home in a jumper with the arms tied in knots.

Used to peel up the lino edge and try to count them before they disappeared. Got told off by Mum many a time for doing that. Could never manage to catch them. Too fast.

Scrounging match boxes to put bugs in.

Mum wasn't happy when she went to light the fire and got hit on the nose with a grasshopper.

Frozen jubleys

Sherbet dabs with a liquorice straw

Esso Blue

Wearing short trousers to school...in the snow

Girls with fireside tartan

Homemade cattys..with 1/4" elastic if you were "man" enough

Gat guns

Tank aerials for fishing rods

Health & Effiency magazine...pre Kays catalogue

catty elastic

tank aerials for fishing rods

Parade mags

you always pressed button B to see if anyone had forgotten

the winter of 62/3 snowed on Christmas eve and stayed till spring,

getting the cane on both hands at school for fighting

scrumping

learning to swim in the river

getting a ring around your legs from wearing wellies and shorts

making dens from bales

lighting fires

cooking eels

fishing all night

getting a clout round the ears for just about everything

In the late 60's you could buy a gallon of petrol for your Enfield Crusader for 5 bob, a half of bitter for 9d and a Babycham at 1 shilling for the unsuspecting lass you had persuaded to ride on the pillion. All you could afford for a night out on apprentices wages

With salt sprinkled on and the brown jelly as well. Best melted on toast.

That was always a favourite as was dunking a slice of bread in the Sunday roast pan and letting it soak up the juices and odds and **** left in it.

I'm sure our salt used to be in a block wrapped in waxed paper and looked like a loaf, does anyone else remember that or is my memory playing tricks?

Playing stretch on the front lawn with a commando knife. None of the neighbours battered a eyelid. Luckily we were pretty good at aiming and missed our feet. Still got that knife. Went and measured the blade it is 6" :oops:

We called it split the kipper :lol: many a little white mark on top of feet when tanned.

Finding Lemonade and if very luck soda syphon bottles to take back to corner shop for sweets and matches.

When really hungry we would eat virtually anything, but sat at the dining table saying I'm not eating that muck with back of head ringing and said hot food stuck to face.

Figgy

That was always a favourite as was dunking a slice of bread in the Sunday roast pan and letting it soak up the juices and odds and **** left in it.I'm sure our salt used to be in a block wrapped in waxed paper and looked like a loaf, does anyone else remember that or is my memory playing tricks?

Remember my gran buying Saxa salt like this but looked more like a bigger block of butter shape wise.

As a child my gran would take the roast of of the tin then Turn the oven up and start stirring the dripping reducing the clear fat down to almost brown juice. This was then put in a bowl to set cold. Mixed up the liquid and set dripping with the knife and spread on home baked bread with salt was better to me than the sodding meat on the dinner, far more tasty.

Figgy

A decade earlier it was a toasting fork by the fire (if you hadn't burned the house down with a sheet of newspaper trying to get it going) with the toast then covered in dripping while you listened to 'Journey Into Space' and '**** Barton' on the radio.

Edit: "****" is short for 'Richard'.

Edited by wymberley