Another insurance rant

JimLondon

Got my insurance renewal letter yesterday and guess what it's gone up by £200.

So I gave them a call to ask why,"we've changed the way we calculate our quotes"

Have you now,well I'm not playing ball says I

Ok they retort.

So I go online to find a new insurer and yep my current insurance company come in at £300 cheaper than my renewal quote. So thanks the co-op Eco insurance but stick it where the sun don't shine.

Rant over.

Got my insurance renewal letter yesterday and guess what it's gone up by £200.

So I gave them a call to ask why,"we've changed the way we calculate our quotes"

Have you now,well I'm not playing ball says I

Ok they retort.

So I go online to find a new insurer and yep my current insurance company come in at £300 cheaper than my renewal quote. So thanks the co-op Eco insurance but stick it where the sun don't shine.

Rant over.

I have been with Admiral for years now for my 4x4 and the last 3 years every renewel comes in about 100-120 pound dearer than last years. so i go on a comparison site then ring them up and tell them that im leaving and going to xxxxx for xxxx cheaper and they "have a look" and bingo its about 160 pound cheaper than the original quote and 30-40 pound cheaper than last year...this has gone on for 3 years now or so...im sure its just to catch people on auto renew...

Rich :)

I have been with Admiral for years now for my 4x4 and the last 3 years every renewel comes in about 100-120 pound dearer than last years. so i go on a comparison site then ring them up and tell them that im leaving and going to xxxxx for xxxx cheaper and they "have a look" and bingo its about 160 pound cheaper than the original quote and 30-40 pound cheaper than last year...this has gone on for 3 years now or so...im sure its just to catch people on auto renew...

Rich

I thought that but when I mention I'd be looking elsewhere the guy sounded like he couldn't give a rats **** .

To be honest if he had of "found" me a deal I think I would have walked anyway. I'm one of those that get a renewal and think "yeah that ain't bad" and just carry on. I think I'll change my ways and get quotes every year from now on.

Rich

I thought that but when I mention I'd be looking elsewhere the guy sounded like he couldn't give a rats **** .

To be honest if he had of "found" me a deal I think I would have walked anyway. I'm one of those that get a renewal and think "yeah that ain't bad" and just carry on. I think I'll change my ways and get quotes every year from now on.

Hi Jim

Yes thats what i do now every year...

I like NFU I swapped to them when I had a rebuilt Defender 90 on a Q plate and they were the cheapest by miles of any other quote.

Someone answers the phone when you ring and sorts your details out there and then. Renewal only increases the premiums marginally, but you get a loyalty discount as well so often stays the same. My premiums went down the other year as I mentioned I had retired as it had a bit on about occupation. They told me if I wasn't using the vehicle for work at all it was cheaper. No extra charges for changing your vehicle details like one insurer I had. Can't beat them.

Insurance is like any other market place - they are trying to make a profit and if there are areas of their business where they can squeeze a bit more out they will. People renewing tend to be slightly apathetic about increases especially when paying monthly. If you are hit by a big % increase shop about and go back to your insurer with your findings - depending on how poor their results are (and insurance runs on very small profits, often investments returns only) you may find leeway if they want to keep you. It is cheaper to renew your policy than replace you.

Theives they are, a young fella at work was quoted nearly £3000 for a micra he paid £750 for.No wonder people drive around with no insurance.I know hes a new driver but its stupid the prices he's been quoted,in comparison I pay £180 fully comp for the Grand Vit, & £198 fully comp for a new focus tdi.

Edited by Davyo

Why not bobt? Statistics? Were you not once a 17 year old looking for insurance? I'll tell you another farce about car insurance. After the law changed preventing insurance companies from discriminating against men, they had to find a way to recoup the potential losses.

This is where the no claims con comes into it. If you currently own one vehicle, and have amassed say 10 years no claims on that vehicle as an example, you cannot use your no claims against an additional vehicle should you wish to purchase a second vehicle. So basically if you own two cars you can only use your no claims discount against one of them, and the other must either be insured as if you've no driving experience whatsoever. That is unless you use one of these rip off multicar policoes.

My current insurance is £579, but if I wanted to buy exactly the same car again and have two cars at once, I'd have to pay £2751 (cheapest) to insure the second car, even though it's identical in every way to the first. You can only drive one car at a time you know!

Theives they are, a young fella at work was quoted nearly £3000 for a micra he paid £750 for.No wonder people drive around with no insurance.I know hes a new driver but its stupid the prices he's been quoted,in comparison I pay £180 fully comp for the Grand Vit, & £198 fully comp for a new focus tdi.

They are thieves,

28 yrs ago I insured my first,an 850 mini van worth £120,insurance was a smidge over 300 and my wage was £32 to take home.

Not really that different relatively,just the numbers are bigger.

They are not thieves - you have to insure, they are registered insurers and they have to collect sufficient premiums to pay claims which can run to several millions at a time. They also have to take a share Of uninsured motorists claims - one I was involved with was a Latvian driving a minibus, no licence not even for a car, who killed three and maimed his niece. Estimate when I handed over on retirement was £3m. Don't even start on young lads - virtually uninsurable and if only the government would listen licences should not be granted under 25, they should have a nighttime curfew, they should not be allowed to carry passengers and they should drive cars limited to 25miles per hour!!

I totally disagree! pure nonsense!

How do you expect school leavers to hold down a job without being able to travel? We had our first child when i was 20 and had a house, how would i have been able to afford that without being able to travel/commute? Im now almost 26 and have a 24 mile journey to work which would be impossible without the use of a car! Where meant to be encouraging young people into work not preventing them from working by not allowing them access to a car!

How would i have carried my young family around if i had a no passenger rule/law?

25mph would limit you to 40mph roads tops because anything faster would be too dangerous at 25mph and in turn would probably cause more accidents and raise insurance premiums even more!

They are not thieves - you have to insure, they are registered insurers and they have to collect sufficient premiums to pay claims which can run to several millions at a time. They also have to take a share Of uninsured motorists claims - one I was involved with was a Latvian driving a minibus, no licence not even for a car, who killed three and maimed his niece. Estimate when I handed over on retirement was £3m. Don't even start on young lads - virtually uninsurable and if only the government would listen licences should not be granted under 25, they should have a nighttime curfew, they should not be allowed to carry passengers and they should drive cars limited to 25miles per hour!!