hare, what shot size?

As the title, what shot size? would be best for shooting hare.

I am going on a shoot next week and I have been told that there may be hare about, so what size shoot would you use. There may also be partridge some duck and of course pheasant so I am going to have a bit of a mix in the cartridge bag. Having never shoot at hare nor rabbit I am not sure what shot size to use.

cheers

a normal game cartridge will do for a hare on a mixed day, but if your not sure leave them there is nothing worse than a maimed hare screaming behind the guns on a drive, you won't be the only one many competent shots don't raise their gun to them. Non toxic for duck.

I should have said number 5 min and possibly number 4 in a fair load a bit back then I got out with the .410 and number six and it kills hares just fine at the correct ranges ( just make sure they are under 30 yards and at a good angle and std game shells work just fine). Non toxic for the duck should work fine, steel is very good on Rabbits even in the smaller sizes

As he is in scotland he will not need non toxic , unless of course he is coming over the border to shoot .

So with Duck and Hare possible I would go for a 32 gram load of 5s

Agreed :good: or as kent say , shooting over Wetlands

Edited by stevo

a normal game cartridge will do for a hare on a mixed day, but if your not sure leave them there is nothing worse than a maimed hare screaming behind the guns on a drive, you won't be the only one many competent shots don't raise their gun to them. Non toxic for duck.

My Dad always used to say that, I think I'd stick with a rimfire. Mind you I have never seen them around to be honest.

You need to hit them pretty hard and if they're not at an angle running away from you I wouldn't shoot because you're more likely to wound them. I'd use a heavy load of 5's minimum if possible. On a hare drive I'd take magnums because they can be tough to stop. Some will disagree but I'd rather hit them hard and kill them clean. I shoot more with a rifle than shotgun though.

I would also like to add that I personally would use a min of 3/4 choke , normally full and like said ,DONT shoot them running away from you , your only going to back end it , and that sound of a wounded hare will haunt you :sad1:

I'm all for the need to thin them out ( when it really does need to be done ) , but respect IMO really needs to be given to the humble hare , they have a tough old life .

anyway ive said me bit .

Cheers for the reply's guys, yes I was thinking of No.5`s and I will have a mix of shot sizes

If you are not an experienced shot then pass up any chances you may have at shooting hares.

I would not consider myself a novice shot JD but I have never had the chance to shoot hare or rabbit with a shotgun but I will heed the advice given and think twice about taking a shot and if its not on then pass and let the next gun take it.

Yes if the duck are not near the water

As mentioned fortunately non toxic is not mandatory in Scotland when not shooting over water or wetland but I also have some steel cartridges in my bag.

We don't do Hare drives anymore but when we did 4's were the size I used. Hit them up front by sweeping the muzzle through the front legs and shooting as you push through. You don't really want to hit them anywhere else but up front, so if they aren't presenting a chest or head shot then personally I'd leave well alone.

Don't overlook the fact if you kill one you will be expected to carry it, and if you've been carrying one in your game bag for a while I can guarantee you wont shoot the next one that gets up. :)

I have shot many a hare with no 6 shot during mixed days. If you are going to shoot them make sure someone shows you how to quickly despatch them.

You mean after you have wounded them? To be fair hit them head on or side on and normal game loads poleaxe them, if you having to finish them its range or angle related. 18 grm of number 6 at 25 yards and they fall to a .410 like a knockover target, amazed me at first as I was previously a big shot heavy load sort of guy on here

You mean after you have wounded them? To be fair hit them head on or side on and normal game loads poleaxe them, if you having to finish them its range or angle related. 18 grm of number 6 at 25 yards and they fall to a .410 like a knockover target, amazed me at first as I was previously a big shot heavy load sort of guy on here

Yes Kent I do mean if wounded. Sadly if hares are shot or anything come to that, there will always be the odd one not immediately killed. As you will agree all species have to be despatched as humanely and quickly as possible. Unless you have been shown and know how to deal with a hare it can be difficult first time around cant it.

So just out of general curiosity how do you dispatch a hare effectively. We don't shoot ground game and to be fair the ones I do see I'd rather see running around but its always good to know.

The way I was taught with a Hare while I was still in short pants for school was back legs in non dominant hand and a smart kung foo chop downwards behind the ears back of the head to snap the spinal connection to the brain with out bruising the meat. What you never do is hit it with the Butt end of a webley .410 bolt action while loaded, seen that once and luckily it only ended with powder burns :oops:

Hares really can cry like babies as others have said so its best to kill them stone dead with the first shot or leave them be, lightly wounded and you need a darn good dog with some speed and determination ( a time when a little wildness comes in handy)

So just out of general curiosity how do you dispatch a hare effectively. We don't shoot ground game and to be fair the ones I do see I'd rather see running around but its always good to know.

As Kent has said breaking the neck as cleanly as possible. A heavy priest is usually more effective than the hand chop for some people. Because I never carried a priest when walking up I would use my knee as the lever point and break their neck. But this is only possible if you have the body strength. You cannot compare the necking of a hare with the necking of a rabbit. The effort required is far greater so shouldn't be tried unless you feel confident.

I carry a hammer handle that I've drilled a hole through the bottom and attached to a retractable lanyard. It is effectively a light priest and it is in my gamebag for every shoot of all types. Like kent said, a swift knock at the base of the back of the head is usually sufficient

rick

I was shown the karate chop method by my grandad when I was seven and he took me to check his snares. Completely botched it so the old boy took over and made me a priest for the next time. Sharp tap with a priest then and avoid trying to chin one. Cheers fellas

Always broke the neck with a chop at the base of the skull.

When going hare shooting I always used 4's, standard load grand prix or maximum. They are very effective but I would never shoot a hare with 6's or a fox come to that - not enough ballistic energy to my mind. Still its a free country.

Always broke the neck with a chop at the base of the skull.

When going hare shooting I always used 4's, standard load grand prix or maximum. They are very effective but I would never shoot a hare with 6's or a fox come to that - not enough ballistic energy to my mind. Still its a free country.

Range and not shooting them up the rear take care of it as long as you are no further than 30 yards preferably 25. Never would have said that before about two years ago when I started carrying a .410 again. Thing is I think a lot of guns think a Hare is closer than it is due to its size and they do tend to run directly away from you rather than dart off sideways like rabbits do when running for home / cover, leading to too many bum shots and often too far out no matter how big the shot is or how heavy a load (of course its mostly what is in the gun)