Gibraltor

rec-baller

Went to Gibraltar on Sunday, what a nightmare !! , took us an hour to get through customs on the way in, the main shopping area is one road that has a good selection of shops, booze is ridiculously cheap, 1 ltr of Smirnoff was £5.50 , 1 ltr of three barrels brandy £5.80 200 l& b fags £21 , food wasn't cheap, but the best bit was the ww2 tunnel tour, we were taken round by a young Dutch girl called sandy who really knew her stuff, the apes at the mountain top were quite funny, then the nightmare of getting off Gibraltar , took us over 1 1/2 hours !! Customs searched every single vehicle .

We were told over 11 thousand people a day commute onto the island everyday, that is one job I wouldn't like to take on

The Spaniards have been acting up for the last two years with border controls and incursions into British waters our government has'nt got the bxxls to stand up to them.

The cost of food is offset by low tax and utilites etc, gib is a great place when you get to know it with several beaches and the smallest clay pigeon ground you will ever see, its about as big as a medium back garden and they shoot over the sea they also have a thriving rifle club. On wednesday night a new series Gibraltar britain in the sun starts on channel 5 at eight oclock.

Used to get to gibb a lot, mate had a boat in the marina used to stay on it,did loads of diving on the wrecks around gib always had a great time always bought a watch or two after knocking the price down from one shop to another, used to fly with GB airways then only way to get there , think sleazy jet bought them out?

KW

Gib is a great place to explore,the tunnel tour only shows you part of what is in the rock,there are more miles of tunnel in the rock than there are roads outside,i worked in a fully fitted workshop in the rock for a while,and also helped install the fibre optics conduits from the very top of the rock where the "golf ball" is,there was some interesting views while hanging off the side of the rock in a harness,and those apes you see are the tame *******, at the top of the rock they are vicious horrible things. If you walk through the tunnel outside the rock on Europa road going to sandy bay you will see a memorial to some Sappers who died in an explosion when blasting the tunnel,and inside the rock there are quite a few rock carvings or cement plaques from various Royal Engineer units.

My claim to fame in Gib is that a set of the Casemate gates were replaced by my unit,i helped make the hinges and our chippies made the gates and then we hung them,when we took the old hinges out there was a brass plaque in oil cloth with the Sappers names on a hundred years before,so we had a plaque made and put them both back in the wall when we hung the new gates.

We went here on a day coach tour thingy and the tour guide had a bit of a guess the answer quiz about what was missing from a statue of a Lion on a roundabout looking down a valley towards Gib. I remember the policeman at the Gib side of the crossing coming on the bus and just having a quick look and saying "good, No black faces have a good visit” Not very PC. Quite liked the place, Had lunch opposite the Governors residence where they changed the guard whilst we ate. The food was a bit pricey but on holiday. I remember the tour guide proudly showing us a petrol station where the SAS had shot the IRA members and the place was a bit like Hastings old town sort of feel. When we left though the border crossing everyone had to get everything off of the coach and walk through and there was some bloke out in the coach park begging.

We went here on a day coach tour thingy and I remember the tour guide proudly showing us a petrol station where the SAS had shot the IRA members and the place was a bit like Hastings old town sort of feel.

I was on Gib a week before that took place and filled up the hire car in that garage ,it had feel of old town Hastings also what springs to mind was the smell of the drains :sick: gawd knows what its like in the height of summer,we had to show our passports to get on then which was unheard of so we thought the SAS were on to it.