License photocopied buying cartridges

88b

I'm sure I remember seeing a post about this before but can't find it. I was told today about a new shop in Hadleigh that was selling cartridges cheap, it's only a few miles from home and on the way home from the shoot so I stopped off. £33 a slab for Trust 28 gramme I recently paid £38 for 24 gramme. Showed my license and they photocopied it, when I questioned it they said it's only the front and although not absolutely necessary Essex Police have asked them to do it and as they are a new shop felt they had to.

I'm not too bothered but I feel this is a tad underhand.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO where i have seen in the guidance or legislation does it say they are to do this, Now where do they keep the copies? as that info will be subject to data security. In a safe as a minimum.

its all a bit daft really as if they were selling under the counter to wrong uns they just need enough copies to look legit, you bought 1 slab dodgy dave had 750 out the backdoor....... they mark you down as 1k.......

How do you mean underhand?

On the part of Essex police , keeping an eye on what you buy. Funny how they take for ever to renew or grant a new license yet have the man power to do this.

As I said I'm not bothered one way or the other but if it's not a legal requirement why do it ?

On the part of Essex police , keeping an eye on what you buy. Funny how they take for ever to renew or grant a new license yet have the man power to do this.

As I said I'm not bothered one way or the other but if it's not a legal requirement why do it ?

To put more obstacles in the way of people doing what they are legally entitled too......

Personally I would say no thank you and leave.

As someone else has mentioned - where will the copy be kept?

What happens when they have a clear out, will they shred, burn or just put in the bin where some lowlife will then have potential access to your name and address.

We keep a members contact list at a local gun club that I help run and that list must be locked in a safe which club officials only have access to.

Just my thoughts.

ATB.

As a side note - I would allow them to have my certificate number and surname. The Police can trace any and all details from that info.

Edited by station

I fail to see what police manpower will be involved in the shop taking a copy of your SGC.

CCI at Corby have always had a copy of the front page of my SGC, I have been buying from them for 20 odd years.

Really can't see the problem!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

They can't use the copy for anything as when you copy it it has like a watermark stating fraud all over it. I know this as my original is at lincs police for renewal so I copied mine.

To me it's more the fact that someone with bad intentions could have access to a piece of paper that clearly states "Shotgun Certificate holder" with my name and address - probably just paranoid, but sooner be safe than sorry.

I'm sure I remember seeing a post about this before but can't find it. I was told today about a new shop in Hadleigh that was selling cartridges cheap, it's only a few miles from home and on the way home from the shoot so I stopped off. £33 a slab for Trust 28 gramme I recently paid £38 for 24 gramme. Showed my license and they photocopied it, when I questioned it they said it's only the front and although not absolutely necessary Essex Police have asked them to do it and as they are a new shop felt they had to.

I'm not too bothered but I feel this is a tad underhand.

Write to your Chief Officer of Police (Essex) and tell him (her) what you have been asked to do. Copy in BASC and your local MP.

The police have no right to ask the RFD to do this under the guidance issued by the Home Office.

I would do as Whitebridges suggests - this is not required, not desirable and will lead on to other things.

Shortly a DNA sample will be required which will take £100 and 4 days to process - obviously not - but you get the drift. Stand up for only that which is required, or more will be a minimum requirement.

I would do as Whitebridges suggests - this is not required, not desirable and will lead on to other things.

Shortly a DNA sample will be required which will take £100 and 4 days to process - obviously not - but you get the drift. Stand up for only that which is required, or more will be a minimum requirement.

You jest..... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9674764/DNA-database-to-catch-foul-dogs.html

Check the date!

Personally I'd just say no, and if they tried to insist I'd simply tell them I'll buy my cartridges elsewhere.

We sometimes meet up with our supplier in a farmyard while he's on his way up North to either shoot or conduct business. We buy CF ammo and shotgun cartridges from the back of his van; there is no photocopier in there.

That should be the last of our worries,if you google list of firearms licence holders,it brings up an article where detailed information on all 59,585 licence holders was given to a tabloid under the freedom of information act.

Edited by Davyo