Gun thoughts - MK38 gr5 - MK60 High Pheasant - Browning 725 Hunter Gr

spaniels

As the above, thinking of treating my self to a new gun. I shoot mainly high bird shoots in the season. I currently have a 325 28" sporter which I shoot quite well with but would like the extra 32" by the swing. I used to shoot MK70 20 bore 30" which i liked a lot.

I understand the 725 gr 5 doesn't come in 32 as a game gun just in sporter which I can live with.

Whats peoples thoughts on the matter, I would keep the 325 for rough shooting and pigeons etc?

I had a mk38 grade 5 Teague choke 32 inch, ended up going back to a 30 inch due to the weight of the m/c barrels. If I was in the market for a new gun I would go for a 32 inch mk60 grade 5 high pheasant, the 32 inch fixed choke would be much more balanced.

The mirokus are much better value for the money than the 725 in my opinion.

The 725 sporter and game are very much the same gun. I prefer the engraving on the sporter and it suits high bird shooting better, the multi chokes can be changed to suit your needs and cartridge choice for that drive or day. Some grade 5 mk38 can be barrel heavy and tiring on game day best to swing one around for yourself.

I have a 725 sporter and love it. Very well balanced overall.

bear in mind though that the sporter has the Marmite palm swell where the hunter doesn't.

You could always get some Muller chokes for the Miroku if wanted to save a few g.

Am thinking of going down the same line and changing from beretta, only thing that is stopping me is a lack of information on the proof level of mirokus.

I want one gun for everything and need an HP steel proofed gun but cant get a reply from Browning UK on if the Miroku is steel hp proof.

Out of interest Westward, what would your other suggestions be?

Thanks for the info, going today to look at a few, the MK60 High Pheasant is the only one I've not tried and I understand the balance is good. I loved the feel of 725 but the lack of 32 in game is putting me off a little. If I get one I'm shooting tomorrow so will be able to test it out although they won't be so high...

Out of interest Westward, what would your other suggestions be?

Staying in the same price range there is the upgraded Silver Pigeon called the 'Classic' and a couple of CGs, the sideplated 'Magnus' and the 'Challenger'. Both these are good looking, beautifully fitted and finished guns with great handling and in my experience put every other mid priced gun to shame. I've had a Browning, a Miroku and several Berettas but none of them, not even the 24 year old 687, was built and finished as well as the Guerini Challenger I've just bought.

Staying in the same price range there is the upgraded Silver Pigeon called the 'Classic' and a couple of CGs, the sideplated 'Magnus' and the 'Challenger'. Both these are good looking, beautifully fitted and finished guns with great handling and in my experience put every other mid priced gun to shame. I've had a Browning, a Miroku and several Berettas but none of them, not even the 24 year old 687, was built and finished as well as the Guerini Challenger I've just bought.

I must agree. I've had a bag full of Beretta's and Brownings but I've been converted to Caesar Guerini. My Challenger is a 32" version and has a swing as smooth as Lee Travino :good:

I must agree. I've had a bag full of Beretta's and Brownings but I've been converted to Caesar Guerini. My Challenger is a 32" version and has a swing as smooth as Lee Travino :good:

Yep. 32" seems to be exactly the right length for the Challenger. Smooth moving but fast pointing. Compared against either the 692 or the 725 it was just no contest...

Had thought about Geurinis abd seens some very nice ones. Anyone know if they are HP steel proof?

Have tried calling/emailing the importers without success.

Cheers

My barrel set has the fleur de lys stamp which I believe means HP proofed. Not really my area of expertise though.

I think CG has successfully demonstrated to the naysayers (of which I was one!) that their guns not only look nice but also hold up for high volume use. What they do that is so refreshing - and so different from the others - is that they actually seem to care about customer satisfaction. Their attention to small details, right down to supplying a dated QA certificate with the inspector's full name is unique in the mid range sector as far as I'm aware.

• 2 years later...

I'm more into 'bling' rather than 'shootability' ......

Have placed an order for a 20 gauge MK60 Grade 5.

I've read that the High Pheasant has a beefier stock than the Game gun specs of the 20 gauge coming my way ...

Does the High Pheasant have more / different engraving and is it's wood quality superior to an average grade 5 ?

I've read that the High Pheasant has a beefier stock than the Game gun specs of the 20 gauge coming my way ...

Does the High Pheasant have more / different engraving and is it's wood quality superior to an average grade 5 ?

Beautiful gun

Edited by button

Same engraving the HPs from what I've seen to have the better end of the grade 5 wood.

Yeah, I'm now getting back into Mirokus after previously owning a Model 9000 Sporter grade 1 ( with a grade 5 buttstock ) and a Model 10 Sporter Grade 5.

I've recently bought a well used Model 9000 'Special Edition' Grade 5 and now looking forward to receiving the MK 60 20 gauge.

Down here in Australia, Mirokus are 'everywhere' !