Record for getting Shotgun and Firearm Certificate renewed.

camojohn

Delivered my forms by hand into the police station on the 16th Dec 2014 and got my new Certificates back on the 9th Jan 2015. 24 days that has got to be some kind of a record when you consider Christmas and New Year came in that period.

Edited by camojohn

Similar to Steve b, application handed on Monday, cabinet check Tuesday and cert hand delivered on Friday afternoon. My SGC was pretty much the same as well, that was with Gmp, now under Cheshire so will see how they get on in the future, if land clearance times are anything to go by I won't hold my breath.

S

west midlands now with staffs see how we go this year lad's, for the first time. sent mine off November 2014 for feb 2015 keep you posted.

I don't think they did merge in the end. I'm staffs and fac took 5 weeks in total and could of been earlier by a week but I wasn't around for interview

Oh and staffs are excellent now

Edited by team tractor

What licensing force do you come under, Mike?

Dyfed Powys. To be fair they have being going through a phase of reorganisation. The new FEO is a PC rather then civilian and was spot on, just a shame I had to wait so long. Hopefully in 2020 when it is renewal time again they will have improved.

Hand delivered my renewal 24/11/14, never heard jack ****,but even if it comes back before it expires 26/03/15 it will be a miracle.

Durham is pretty bad now. Just wait til you get the phone call a couple of days before expiry (or rather you ring them) and they tell you its fine for you to keep your guns in your safe until your new ticket arrives! :rolleyes: Of course they'll not give you anything in writing telling you to do that though.... <_<

If they do try that make sure you ask for a S7 certificate and if they say they don't issue them (which is very likely) direct them to the last published meeting of the Firearms and Explosives Licencing Working Group, item 3.5 here;

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/crime/2014/FELWG_11%20June%202014_Minutes.pdf

Edited by Breastman

Durham is pretty bad now. Just wait til you get the phone call a couple of days before expiry (or rather you ring them) and they tell you its fine for you to keep your guns in your safe until your new ticket arrives! :rolleyes: Of course they'll not give you anything in writing telling you to do that though.... <_<

If they do try that make sure you ask for a S7 certificate and if they say they don't issue them (which is very likely) direct them to the last published meeting of the Firearms and Explosives Licencing Working Group, item 3.5 here;

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/crime/2014/FELWG_11%20June%202014_Minutes.pdf

I will be asking for s7 and taking name rank of officer as my mate did this before he went off shore and came back to a threat of arrest on xmas eve.When he called they said the request for section 7 was never made.

I know it's highly unlikely but they may surprise you now that C.I.Ball isn't in charge of the licensing department. Maybe they've got someone in who knows what they're doing and can sort it out.

That someone new has stated to BASC that he will make Durham the tuffest strictest licensing force in the UK.I was told this by BASC only a couple of weeks ago when I got an unanounced visit and they said they would be back to interview my son when he finished school.My sons friend has a friend ( so not a direct friend of my sons) who is trouble and Durham wanted reassurance that my son was not directly a friend of this troublesome) they also stated that they wanted both our FAC's and SGC's ready and access to the gun cabinet if needed,poss with the intent to revoke if my son couldn't satisfy his none association with this chap.Also my licence was under threat as I am reasonsable for my son,when BASC called me back they said they are enforcing some old legislation,revoke through association or something down those lines.Fortunatly the 2 officers left satisfied that my son has no direct contact with this lad.They did have full intensions of taking licences and guns as they had with them what looked like a large padded gun slip.

My SGC renewal is in at the moment and was handed in to them in Nov,it expires mid March so I don't know what's going to happen. If they refuse that ,then they will be back for my FAC.I had a chat with the two officers before they left about all the visits ect,and from what I gather I don't think shooting in the UK has a very good future.And it is clearly apparent that they have our shooting organisation running scared,the advice I got from BASC was basically "take it on the chin"

Edited by Davyo

Durham police is a disgrace .!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Durham but spend lots of my time over in Cumbria where I keep my boat.My renewal was due 29th March 2015 and got a reminder from Durham police to get my application in asap due to reorganizing within the department.

So I thought I would pick up a application form from Cumbria police which I did,filled it in and sent it off to Durham.

Couple of days later got phone call from Durham police saying I've used the out of date application form and need to get up to date one from Durham HQ .

So cut my visit to my boat short came home and went down to Durham HQ.

I asked them what was wrong with the form that I had submitted and was told Durham was involving applicants in GP referral and was told this was compulsory and I must comply.

I rang BASC and asked for advice and was told this is rubbish and not to comply with this request so I completed my application and took it directly down to Durham HQ and asked could I please talk to someone from the Firearms dept and was told no as........at Durham Police HQ there is NO firearms officer's in this large police HQs and are now housed at Peterlee some 20 odd miles away. Incredible !!!!.

I then asked could I talk to someone from firearms and was put through on the phone and asked could I call to Peterlee and get a officer to look over my application and discuss this new idea on GP referral and was told no...sorry we don't have time to do this.lol

I left my application form at Durham and they said it would be handed over to Peterlee firearms .

Three days later I got a phone call from firearms asking why I haven't complied with the GP referral...I bloody give up with Durham and have lost all confidants in my police force.

I then rang BASC again and explained this problem and was told they would contact Durham firearms and get back to me ....I'm still waiting some 4wks later nothing !!!!

Durham police would be very happy if no one had shotguns then they wouldn't have to make all the mistakes they have made in the past.

I don't think they did merge in the end. I'm staffs and fac took 5 weeks in total and could of been earlier by a week but I wasn't around for interview

Oh and staffs are excellent now

They did merge and dealt with have my recent renewal pretty quickly to be fair. They did do a telephone interview which seemed a bit pointless as most of the questions were answered on my application!?! Can't recall exactly, but it was less than 2 months turn around.

BUT, my renewal previous to this last one (ie just over 5 years ago) was dealt with by West Midlands in 10 days from application to get this.......hand delivered certificate!

west midlands now with staffs see how we go this year lad's, for the first time. sent mine off November 2014 for feb 2015 keep you posted.

I am West Mids/Staff too. Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I sent my renewal application off in October, it was for a December renewal.

They contacted me to ask if I was OK to have a telephone interview the following day. I agreed, a very polite Woman called about 15 minutes late, and apologised for doing so!

The interview took about 10 minutes and mainly just covered stuff already on my application. However, she did specifically ask me if my cabinet was the same and still in the same place - which it is. Also, to confirm that I understood that they are entitled to seek medical opinion if needed, which I am aware of.

At the end of the telephone convo, she told me the Cert would be sent out directly. Odd though, because when it arrived, it had been signed and dated the day before my "interview" !?!?!?

Anyway, it was all was dealt with in plenty of time ie well before my renewal date.