Unannounced security checks

derfley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general idea is that a) Gun cabinets (and so the very high likelihood of the person owning firearms) should not be obvious to the casual visitor. b) Guns are secured from theft by other than the most determined offenders. c) Those who may gain access to the guns do not gain instant access to ammunition.

Most certainly advertising to anyone (to whom you may open the door to) is inappropriate in that it may make your property a target for firearms theft. Thus, cartridges in clear view should be frowned upon. If a 'sensible' common thief raids your home, they are unlikely to interfere with gun cabinets (for the guns) as they would know that plod would actually be properly investigating the incident and not just recording the break in as just another crime statistic. The police take firearms thefts seriously - even more so if it involves high power centrefire rifles!

There is no second hand market for stolen firearms unless to the criminal brigade. We know that guns are easy to come by, for criminals. Don't make it any easier!

Suprised by peoples attitude to police visits, I always found working with the police a good and sensible idea,

Giving them the legal situation would rather Pxxs me off, if i was a policman and i expect it would to the average policeman who would then take their time if nothing else

Suprised by peoples attitude to police visits, I always found working with the police a good and sensible idea,

Giving them the legal situation would rather Pxxs me off, if i was a policman and i expect it would to the average policeman who would then take their time if nothing else

There's a very long thread on this which you may not have read, or perhaps you haven't seen the correspondence from your shooting organisation about it? When ACPO first trumpeted the policy of unannounced visits, they used language implying a link between law abiding shooters and terrorists. This wording appeared in press releases in the national media. Some of us us found this offensive and insulting, so did CLA, BASC and other associations. ACPO backtracked a little and apologised for this wording when challenged but the surprise visits continue and there is still an undercurrent of "you're all probably wrong 'uns, we need to sneak up and catch you unawares". I am normally supportive of the police, but this "initiative" and others like it breed distrust.

The only reason to visit you unannounced is because you are not trusted and they want to "catch you out". If the police genuinely think that a shooter is not complying with the conditions of his licence they should apply for a warrant and seize the guns or face the music if they've made a mistake. For everything else they should make an appointment and turn up at the householders convenience.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Notice you posted at 8.02pm and say they 'just' visited, so I'm assuming this visit was early evening?

Yes, late enough to make sure (a lot of) people are home from work, early enough for people not to take the hump.

I am surprised you didn't ask why they had made the visit.

You may have a neighbour who thinks you are a risk, someone thinks your behaviour is concerning or is it your doctor ?

So what has changed from your grant?

The police must tell you why an unannounced visit and if they dont, I would definately ask my representative group to press for an answer, as well as reporting the fact that the visit took place.

It would be interesting to hear what info BASC get for you or what they do, if anything.

Kes, I did I was given the vague reason of security check, no mention of anything else specific.

I get on well with the neighbours, and I've not seen my doctor (or had reason too) for the last 18 months, which will have been a chest infection that required a course of antibiotics to clear up fully.

Nothing has changed from my grant.

And finally, yes I emailed BASC last night, and got a phone call just after getting out of a meeting around 10:30 this morning which was lucky timing.

Their advice was to send a letter recorded delivery asking the following points to be clarified in writing;

• Why they appear to have incorrect information about guns owned.
  • Specify exactly what the trigger for the visit was, quoting the ACPO advice/ guidelines on this matter.

And then get back to them when I get a reply so they can follow up as appropriate.

They seem very keen to follow up on the unannounced visit unless Humberside Police can provide an adequate reason for this visit!

So, letter is drafted but unfortunately I didn't have my SGC details to hand with me at work (and don't have a working printer at home) so the letter will be going out registered post Monday.

I'll pop back into this thread for a longer update once I've heard back from the Police and BASC as appropriate.

Edited by derfley

Yes, late enough to make sure (a lot of) people are home from work, early enough for people not to take the hump.

Kes, I did I was given the vague reason of security check, no mention of anything else specific.

I get on well with the neighbours, and I've not seen my doctor (or had reason too) for the last 18 months, which will have been a chest infection that required a course of antibiotics to clear up fully.

Nothing has changed from my grant.

And finally, yes I emailed BASC last night, and got a phone call just after getting out of a meeting around 10:30 this morning which was lucky timing.

Their advice was to send a letter recorded delivery asking the following points to be clarified in writing;

• Why they appear to have incorrect information about guns owned.
  • Specify exactly what the trigger for the visit was, quoting the ACPO advice/ guidelines on this matter.

And then get back to them when I get a reply so they can follow up as appropriate.

They seem very keen to follow up on the unannounced visit unless Humberside Police can provide an adequate reason for this visit!

So, letter is drafted but unfortunately I didn't have my SGC details to hand with me at work (and don't have a working printer at home) so the letter will be going out registered post Monday.

I'll pop back into this thread for a longer update once I've heard back from the Police and BASC as appropriate.

Good for BASC and good for you. I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

Good for BASC and good for you. I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

To be honest, my main reason for sending the letter is I am worried about why the don't appear to have details of my guns. If it's as simple as they don't provide that information to the officers going out to do the checks (they did appear to have a copy of my SGC when I took a sneaky peek, but been a first issue it will not have my guns on their copy) I'll be happy enough with that, as long as their records are correct!

As for the visit question, I don't think my request is unreasonable and the letter is very polite.

At the moment I am more than happy with the BASC response/assistance given, and their apparent willingness to take the Police to task if required.

Same questions they would ask for a grant/renewal. Are you in good health or have any health problems they should know about, change of job/relationship or any recent stress points I'm guessing for the circumstances side of things

I understand that but it was not a grant/renewal, I thought the checks were for security of the firearms not for information that they already have when they approved the certificate.

Edited by ordnance

Stevo - Post 35

Not a problem until they get nicked,most likely with damage to the vehicle.The insurance men would not go along with any claim for theft/damage,they would also want a Police Report number and I doubt if the police would look kindly on the issue,probably no law broken but a short entry of fact on your file would ensure you are closely scrutinized when renewal time comes around.

I understand that but it was not a grant/renewal, I thought the checks were for security of the firearms not for information that they already have when they approved the certificate.

Sorry for the late reply, just spotted this, been a busy couple of days.

The officer appeared to have, a copy of a APCO guidance letter, a copy of my SGC, and a couple of sheets of A4 with a number of questions / tick boxes.

So, checked my SGC (tick), check the cabinet (tick), any health problems (no, tick), burglar alarm fitted (tick), window locks fitted (tick) and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by derfley

Stevo - Post 35

Not a problem until they get nicked,most likely with damage to the vehicle.The insurance men would not go along with any claim for theft/damage,they would also want a Police Report number and I doubt if the police would look kindly on the issue,probably no law broken but a short entry of fact on your file would ensure you are closely scrutinized when renewal time comes around.

I think your wrong there matey on nearly every point you make .

They have a scock coming to mine then I have cartridge next to the gun cabinet open my front door theere about 200 on a side table have about 50 in the living room on the coffie table and then 2slabs in a another bedrom have lose cartridges in several coats laid about the house

Bloody hell, where do you live, the Proof House ???

Ah, yes and I fully agree with you, BUT you are overlooking one important fact............................Human Rights and the power to exercise them !

I Do Remember Having a visit from My F E O, just as a check on my numbers out of my licence reminder:

When getting the Keys, I asked him to turn his back, So he wouldn`t be able to see where I had Hidden Them..

He said " I am the one who issues the licence"..

To which my reply Was " A Police officer killed his Wife and two children yesterday " ,,, "Turn Your Back".

How do we know these ordinary police officers or whatever They are, are sane in the first Place. (They have no Rights normally to view Firearms of any type And where they are stored, and what address:

(YES) ??????.

Sorry for the late reply, just spotted this, been a busy couple of days.

The officer appeared to have, a copy of a APCO guidance letter, a copy of my SGC, and a couple of sheets of A4 with a number of questions / tick boxes.

So, checked my SGC (tick), check the cabinet (tick), any health problems (no, tick), burglar alarm fitted (tick), window locks fitted (tick) and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

This would be my main concern. i.e.they have no specific reason for doing these checks, as they required to, apparently. This also reinforces original concerns that the police are just increasing checks for no additional security reasons, simply reinforcing their incorrect assumption that any weapons might fall into terrorist hands. Based on the potential intelligence, the risks of our group, this is a grossly inefficient use of police time. At the same time they complain of underfunding - 2 police to check someone about whom they have no specific change in circumstances from the shotgun cert grant.

Lets hope BASC take this forward, otherwise we may all get 'unannounced', unjustified visits in the future. I have no problem with the actual visits but with the continued abuse of powers and the assumption that doing something will improve the service provided against terrorism.