Everest Double glazing Quote

Twistedsanity

We had a guy round from Everest promising to beat any quote-he came up with £8500, when I told him I had a written quote for £6500 he actually said "fork that" and walked out never to be seen again. Had a similar occurance when we bought our Solar Panels-first guy came up with a "only valid for today" price of £11500-2 weeks later we had a better system fitted by Createrenewableenergy for £5500-could not fault the service (even got a christmas card from them!) ALWAYS ring around :good:

Can't beat a double glazing salesman for a laugh, the only job where they quite your triple to start and then come down a bit without giving a hoot if you actually pay it or not. I got a porch, front door and two Windows for less than the quote of the front door and window from Everest. the salesman had me I'm stitches even when I told him to leave he was still stamping on his window pointing out how tough it was.

On a slightly different tack. We live in a 1933 built semi with square front bays which, when built, had lead glass windows over each front window panel; and, lead glass over and on each side of the front door. Some years ago our wooden windows needed replacing and we decided that we wanted to retain the features of lead glass and window design and invited quotes.

None of the major companies were willing to incorporate our lead glass windows into their products. Even worse, they had standard designs which would have a sort of lead glass finish but none of them matched the 1930's look so that we could maintain the style of the house as designed. The attitude was that this is what's on offer, take it or leave it!

Then a local company said yes, they could create windows exactly as we wanted them. They carefully removed the lead glass in its frame and in their premises removed the panels and incorporated them into the front of the replacement panels. And every window in the the property looks as if it opens. Just what we wanted. An amazing piece of meeting customer needs.

And, despite all of this personal service they were still cheaper than one of the major suppliers with a bog standard fit. So, at times , it does pay to shop around and shop local.

About 10 years ago I had a quote for a kitchen. We had a useful chat about the design but the costs were absurd (£16k after 30% off but without appliances, electrics or any decorating). I was trying to get my head around how it could be so expensive so I asked him how much a single 600mm unit with 3 wicker pull-out baskets was costing. He was reluctant to tell me but eventually stated it was £850 - we are talking machine made carcasses from MDF here, not exotic hardword made by elves. I must have looked stunned as he added, "The baskets are expensive". I asked him if they were made from organic wicker and he took me seriously enough to ask his boss. The real problem I had was getting rid of him. He just wouldn't leave until I got very blunt and he kept wanting to call to see if he could get anything else off the price, which didn't move much anyhow. Never again!

Anglian are very like that. They exploit people. My mother needed to buy a new front door and bedroom window when she moved house. We said we would sort it but she called Anglian and signed the paperwork without telling us. Cost her £2600 or something similar. Only found out when we saw that the door was replaced and teh grey cement round the bedroom window instead of the white cladding. She is an elderly and disabled (her back is crumbling due to years of being an NHS nurse before hoists were common) and they robbed her.

Now whenever I see one of their stands at a country show in the area I announce the fact in a very loud voice to whichever sales rep tries to accost me! I make sure that those on the verge of getting quotes hear it too. I like to think I cost them a bit of money!

Edited by secretagentmole

On saying that, we used a local firm to replace two small windows, a friend has used them in his rental properties so they came well recommended.

Very good price so went ahead. Within a year they were letting in draughts and you could see daylight around the openers.

Another vote for using a local manufacturing firm. I had three bedroom windows, a bathroom window and a six foot bay window along with a front door with extra locking for less than £2,500.

I asked the fitter about fascias and guttering, who said that "the scaffolding would be the most expensive at around five hundred pounds" He said "give Mr Claddy a ring" I did and he fitted in less than a day and for less than four hundred pounds. (Two men using two ladders and 'builders cripples' across the ladders)