Everest Double glazing Quote

Twistedsanity

Just had the salesman round from Everest to quote me for 3 windows, average size, easy access, one just plain glass and the other two are casement jobbies, to replace them with aluminium was just shy of £9000 and Premium UPVC was £6700, to say I nearly spat tea all over him is an understatement, local guy will replace all 3 for £1300! I can't believe that some folk actually pay that sort of money , I would want my entire house doing for that

I had a very similar situation with Everest some years ago, their quote was a joke, but as you say, there are those that pay it!

Twist his arm, he will come down dramatically.

Regardless of this, I went with another company who were still considerably cheaper than them, even after all the special offers, sign today deals and the salesman's pleading call to his manager! :lol::lol:

Heh - yeah, we had a quote about 15 years ago. Something like 25k for the whole house. YOU. MUST. BE. JOKING. Of course 'if you sign now' there is a 50% discount - which is still a joke. They have a quality product, no doubt, but it still doesn't justify those prices.

I have a 3 quote rule now, I called a local recommended guy, a local established glass company with a shop front and a multinational company , just happened that everest's leaflet dropped through the door so they got picked, in my naïveté I did think that as they have factories and manufacture the units in house rather than pay a 3rd party they would be in some way competitive, he also quoted me for their "budget" range that came in at £2600 for upvc, wouldn't budge on the price either, it's the first time I've had the money to pay someone else to do work on a house rather than go the diy route so I'm a bit of an employing trades virgin (hence the 3 quotes rule I now use) , should have recorded his sales patter though "we only use virgin upvc sir not recycled like the cheaper companies" "so your not concerned about the environment then " was my reply to which he had no answer , kept asking if he could call back another time when my wife was in as well !

They alway seem to be doing special offers 50% off but and it is a big but they never say what the full price is then you get the old trick I will phone up the boss and see if we can get the price down the other thing is they say that they never need painting that is so but they do were out so it is not a once and for all fix.

When I got double glazing over 10 years ago, I had the misfortune to have an Everest guy call to give a quote. He got extremely shirty with me when I told him I wasn't interested in the finer details of the construction of his windows, which he was laboriously explaining to me and I almost laughed when he gave me a quote. They seemed to work on 10% or similar of the total house value being what you 'should' pay for double glazing.

He left on not the best terms.....

Same with Dolphin Bathrooms. Had a new ensuite put in by them at a very reasonable price and it's been fine for a number of years. The year after it was put in, we needed a new bathroom at a property we own in the lakes.

Despite trying to get a couple of local firms to quote, we went back to Dolphin. The quote was double the one we had at home for what was the same thing.. Needless to say we didn't accept.

I think the sales guys are commission only so whatever they make over x cost is all theirs and the guy in the lakes thought " holiday home, they can afford it" if only!

I used to work for safe style windows, i want in a course for a week, to learn pricing and the window details. We were taught a massive amount about body language, the human mind all sorts, it went really involved, it's the art of "selling, without selling" they had even contacted to California state instatute, to carry out tests etc..... And it does bloody work !!!!! We had blokes making £1500-£2000 A WEEK !!! Some of the top boys are on £150 K a year.

Just remember they will deck the price before they leave, the minimum safe style would sell windows for is £450 each, French doors about £1100. But they will and do sell them for £1,000 plus each, all company's will "just ring my manager, il try and get the best deal I can for YOU" it's all flannel, and scripted. Some of the window boys could win a Oscar lol safe style use the same product as Everest, but cost massively less.

Slightly off topic does anyone know of a good supply only company for UPvc windows doors etc ?

Am after a replacment window in the kitchen ahead of it being moved round.

Thanks

Karl.

Roundbrand ltd , I think they have a branch in Armthorpe DN3 ED. Tel 01302 833029

My brother is converting a barn and he has had loads off them.He uses the Castlford branch.

Edited by daveboy

Absolutely hate that type of sales. If someone is trying to sell me something (which happens almost every day at the min) and does the whole "It's normally £25,000000 but for you TODAY it's just £250" I like to ring the next day, negotiate the same day before discount and then 'think about it' for a few days, then decline.

One reason being that it makes people buy in a similar fashion. I manage a international shipping exhibition and get people usually UK companies phone me and when I tell them the price and justify based on benefits etc, I once or twice got the "can you put me through to your manager please" and said "no problem" and just put them on hold and re answered - suffice to say annoyed them a little.

My double glazing only cost £850.00 got them from suppliers and got a chippy to fit them.

Mind you i don't live in a mansion house, I'm thinking of having a UPVC door, but i certainly wont be getting some Arthur Daley rep pushing his products round my house, they soon get the door in face treatment.

And they wont get a cuppa either :no: whoever it is, i don't get offered one when i go shopping in Morrisons :lol:

The sales rep had been In The house less than 5 mins before he said to me "I can see you're not going to sign anything today are you sir?" There were no theatricals bar a bit of flannel about his demo windows, no final reductions or offers or"I'll call the manager" , I asked if his lowest price was negotiable and he told me it was rock bottom then said they would do a price match on any other windows providing the were the same quality, 20mins before he told me theirs was the best and nobody could match them

Some 15 years ago I was redoing the bathroom and kitchen in my summer holiday (used to be a teacher). I needed to replace the window in the bathroom so was looking for quotes. I happened to see one of those parasites hanging around the entrance to the DIY supermarket so I booked a visit. Bloke came round and we had a natter. I pointed out that I wanted a bog standard 4' x 3.5' window with one full width opener at the top, obscured glass. He then started to go into his spiel at which point I stopped him and pointed out I don't want the sales spiel, just a quote. It it's reasonable then you will get the kitchen as well (Door, side window, double opening main window). He wouldn't have it so I let him carry on for a few minutes till I stopped him and demanded the quote saying I had an appointment.

£1024 was the price he came up with. After I had stopped laughing I pointed out that for that price I would expect it to be gold sputtered and self opening. He was not happy.

I sought advise from a window company I know about putting them in. No problems as long as you can use a drill, screwdriver and spirit level. You give them the measurements then pick them up and fit them.

Bathroom window - £150.00

Kitchen window £180.00.

Put them in myself no probs.

I got one of those new garage roof systems (like fibre glass stuff) the idiot for Everest quoted £7500, got it done £1300 with 30yr warrenty (the company that did it said that Everest just charge you £7500 and the put it out to the cheapest contract as they have done numerous jobs for them)

I had a quote from them for a replacement front door,with sidelight panels standard locks....start price of £22000 by the time the fella left it was down to £7000!. Appreciate we all have to make a living but for a replacement front door.....!

Did you tell him its a door not the gates to buckingham palace.

Just had the salesman round from Everest to quote me for 3 windows, average size, easy access, one just plain glass and the other two are casement jobbies, to replace them with aluminium was just shy of £9000 and Premium UPVC was £6700, to say I nearly spat tea all over him is an understatement, local guy will replace all 3 for £1300! I can't believe that some folk actually pay that sort of money , I would want my entire house doing for that

http://www.shenleyglassworks.co.uk/are brilliant, affordable and local (the guy who owns it is a clay shooter as well)