Poaching

chrisjh

thoughts from PW, someone has asked on a local FB page where they could photograph deer, a few people have suggested that poachers will use the information, how prevalent is poaching today and if it happens would it be with firearms or traps.

poaching is a seriously large industry, forget the bloke with a rabbit for home, they still exist and all ways will/ most poachers now are looking at large volume hits. deer are normall done with either cross bow or large calibre rifle normally 7.62 nato as its easy to get hold off

as well as deer, sheep, cow, horse goat are also easy to kill and shift, some times what happens is that the use the day time to round up animals with the " dog walking " driving them into areas where at night or even in the day time they can back u and drive a herd into a lorry

forget about posting info about deer as unsecure its a misnoma

if i am mr big poacher i know exactly where the deer are and what to do to find them, its not a micky mouse bloke running round its serious people in serious business and if you meet them its also seriously serious. many are very willing and able to shoot at people as well as animals, dont expect any police back up either,

gangs normally run to 12 people plus dogs, radios, NV systems and lorries and jeeps and expect to do as many beasts as posible in one hit

poaching is a seriously large industry, forget the bloke with a rabbit for home, they still exist and all ways will/ most poachers now are looking at large volume hits. deer are normall done with either cross bow or large calibre rifle normally 7.62 nato as its easy to get hold off

as well as deer, sheep, cow, horse goat are also easy to kill and shift, some times what happens is that the use the day time to round up animals with the " dog walking " driving them into areas where at night or even in the day time they can back u and drive a herd into a lorry

forget about posting info about deer as unsecure its a misnoma

if i am mr big poacher i know exactly where the deer are and what to do to find them, its not a micky mouse bloke running round its serious people in serious business and if you meet them its also seriously serious. many are very willing and able to shoot at people as well as animals, dont expect any police back up either,

gangs normally run to 12 people plus dogs, radios, NV systems and lorries and jeeps and expect to do as many beasts as posible in one hit

7.62 easy to get hold off ! ...news to me .. Whilst I accept their is poaching ,how many do you think you could shoot in one hit , I've been stalking & culling deer for thirty + years ( legally) if you managed a dozen you would be doing outstandingly well , and hit them one night they certainly won't be there the next .twelve men + vehicles + equipment including off ticket rifle where's the reward ...I average £75 pounds a carcass , that's clean , chilled legal and tagged ..poached , no tag what's it worth ? £50 at best , if not your better buying of a reputable source ... Dozen deer = £600 , less diesel and illegally bought ammo ..less than £50 for a hard nights work + the chance of a five stretch if your caught with the gun ..the poaching that is a problem is 1 or 2 guys with a moderated 22 rimmy creeping around the farm head shooting them .. Some not to well at that from the ones I've had to finish . I can't comment on large scale rustling .

Another Internet expert lol! The most prevelant poaching is a couple lads with lurchers or someone with a 22lr or 17HMR on the ticket taking head shots

Normally people who've done it years and years and years

Poaching with gangs is big business but that's what they have the police choppers out for. The type of operation described above probably isn't cost effective ffor poaching

Stock theft on a big scale does happen but how do they know it's a team of 20 men in SAS gear etc.

i know of a friend that was done over for the deer in his area, they drove the herd towards the animall handling areas he has set up and used it to load them onto a lorry he reckons he lost 25 animals in the one hit, as for sheep the best i have every heard of was 50 head in one night

several people oi have spoken to have also meet these sort of people and have found them to be very very agressive

and by the way large calibre rounds and weapons are a lot easier to obtain than most ordinary people think in europe and its a quick hop to the uk

Please...

Aggressive, illegal rifle wielding thugs dressed in SAS gear in the middle of the night... Haven't you seen Danny Champion of the World? Everyone knows the most effective poaching technique is simply to put sleeping pills in raisons.

i know of a friend that was done over for the deer in his area, they drove the herd towards the animall handling areas he has set up and used it to load them onto a lorry he reckons he lost 25 animals in the one hit, as for sheep the best i have every heard of was 50 head in one night

several people oi have spoken to have also meet these sort of people and have found them to be very very agressive

and by the way large calibre rounds and weapons are a lot easier to obtain than most ordinary people think in europe and its a quick hop to the uk

You ever tried herding deer ...they don't ! As for loading 25 on a truck ...sheep herd nicely , they go on trucks nicely , deer don't .your mate is pulling you plonker .Who in there right mind would think of nipping over to Europe , buying an ex military unmoderated 7.62 to come back ( quick hop) to go poaching ....it doesn't happen mate ...

There's a bit of poaching goes on around here now and again. Police stopped a van following a phone call and found inside a quad bike and three lurchers. Their make of shotgun cartridge with the name of a local supplier stamped on them on their persons matched those found on land on which they'd been trespassing, and on two occasions now we've found dead roe; an out of season young buck with all it's limbs missing, and a complete doe belly shot and left for dead in one of our woods.

You should start writing for the Daily Mail :lol:

Herded all the deer into a truck

Give em a shout for me they make it sound easy. Can drop a load of muntjac in the woods by me and do me a favour

Only prob is its a load of rubbish!!!

Went through the channel tunnel once when travelling back from Germany many moons ago when I was in the army. We had done a day on the explosives range the day before and we were stopped by the French police going through the check point because one of the lads in the car had traces of PE4 under his finger nails. Would love to see you getting a load of 7.62 ball though.

The idea that poachers do what they do for financial gain is wrong. The majority of them do it for their own version of the sport, whether it be a bit of ferreting on a railway sidings, running deer with lurchers on the lamp or hawking fields from the roadside. There is no real money in it because the value of what they catch doesn't meet expenditure. Unlawful possession of a firearm attracts an automatic 5 year custodial sentence, a stolen fully automatic military weapon would push the sentence up even further. There is often comment about Police inaction regarding poaching, but noisy military weapons will have every copper in the county on you. Don't believe everything you're told.

The idea that poachers do what they do for financial gain is wrong. The majority of them do it for their own version of the sport, whether it be a bit of ferreting on a railway sidings, running deer with lurchers on the lamp or hawking fields from the roadside. There is no real money in it because the value of what they catch doesn't meet expenditure. Unlawful possession of a firearm attracts an automatic 5 year custodial sentence, a stolen fully automatic military weapon would push the sentence up even further. There is often comment about Police inaction regarding poaching, but noisy military weapons will have every copper in the county on you. Don't believe everything you're told.

:good: The only exception to this in my experience is poaching Salmon. I know a few lads who used to make good money from this but never hear much about it nowadays around here.

I remember years ago when little groups would take themselves off to Scotland for the night and return with a haul of Salmon. Financially it was very worthwhile for them, but now with the farmed stuff everywhere and Salmon so cheap, thankfully water bailiffs can sleep at night.

Not strictly true for anyone who enjoys the taste of fish - I buy wild salmon from Canada the farmed stuff is fatty and very 'manufactured'.

An old poacher told me that him and two mates would set snares for deer . They would go out in the late afternoon and set 20 snares in a certain area . Later that night they would slowly walk a large area of land and slowly drive any deer about towards the snares . He said that he had had hundreds of deer over the years using this method . To kill any deer in the snares they used an iron bar .

Harnser

An old poacher told me that him and two mates would set snares for deer . They would go out in the late afternoon and set 20 snares in a certain area . Later that night they would slowly walk a large area of land and slowly drive any deer about towards the snares . He said that he had had hundreds of deer over the years using this method . To kill any deer in the snares they used an iron bar .

Harnser

I used to drink with an old poacher (his description) his tales got better & better the more beer he got in him .. :rolleyes:

Please...

Aggressive, illegal rifle wielding thugs dressed in SAS gear in the middle of the night... Haven't you seen Danny Champion of the World? Everyone knows the most effective poaching technique is simply to put sleeping pills in raisons.

I am still very disappointed this isn't true.

• 4 months later...

WOW sounds like poaching is quite serious in some parts of the country, all the keepers have to worry about where I shoot is a couple of lads with lurchers and longnets, they don't even take any of there kill away with them, its too risky for them to get caught and they tend to dump whatever they get

Bout 6 months ago a some idiot drove a quad onto my permission and shot a Munty as it flushed from a small copse-left it where it dropped and simply rode back onto the road and away!!! ***?? Landowner witnessed the whole thing but was unable to get any registration details of the quad-first I heard of it was him ringing me to ask if I had a such a vehicle :no: . Cannot help but wonder why anyone would do such a thing and I feel that the owner thinks I had something to do with it.