Bespoke stock

Old farrier

I must admit I am guilty of not reading all the post and just commented on the wood. However it does appear that you have not been provided with what you requested. I hope you get the gunsmith to make this right, but I can see it being a bit of a nightmare. I would avoid being confrontational initially the guy needs to have an opportunity to make things right for you but if you don't get any joy then you may well have to go through the hassle of the small claims court.

Thanks for your thoughts hopefully it will be sorted

Not sure of the implications and after effects of taking a RFD to court

But I value your opinion on this

Many thanks

All the best

Of

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice wood but short in the grain on the panel , sorry if I step on any toes but that is an ugly stock . 3 holes in the heel plate ? if it comes off then why dose it need a key hole .

thank god for that

thought I was the only one looking and wincing!

lovely wood

hideous curves and grip IMO

Guest Mick.j

I can understand that you may be reluctant to give details, but is this person well known as a stocker; does he advertise as such, and have you seen any examples of his work?

Known as a 'shocker' is more apt. An absolute disgrace to have to go through all that and not get what was ordered

I hope the OP gets a total refund.

Hi, only just seen this. As a bit of an OCD where shotgun woodwork is concerned there is no way, no day I would ever even dream of paying for what you have been offered, it is nothing like what you asked for. Stand your ground as its a total fail for what you ordered.

atvb Paul.

Hi thanks for your reply glad I found someone as OCD (passionate) about wood as me

Just wondered if my request

Exebition wood

Tulip forend

Semi pistol grip

Teardrops

Best London Finnish

Was a unreasonable remit on a stock

Thanks again for your thoughts

All the best

Of

Looking at the photos it now appears you have a copy of your original stock with slightly different measurements .Rather that the" Perazzi" look alike . It is still not POW , its a half or semi pistol what Browning refer to as a "round knob" .The panels are to short to have points cut and they would have to be the distinctive Browning style to look right ,if they are not it is plainly obvious to all that it is not an original stock which it needs to look like when finished .In short you have been stuffed and the guy who is doing it is trying to get out of either doing it properly or better still giving you your money back as he has failed to deliver what was asked for .

When stocking any gun with a piece of selected wood it is sometimes the case that the wood is deemed to be unsuitable or unusable ,its happened to me on several occasions . The first thing to do is contact the client and tell him so . If the stocker supplied the blank then it is up to him to replace it with a similar piece of wood with your approval . If you have supplied it then it down to you to take it up with your supplier .

There is NO excuse for getting the shape /style or dimensions wrong [ give or take a 1/16"].

Personally I would reject the job and take it else ware and bill him for the cost .

Edited by Gunman

OF

We have shared text's over this matter and i feel i have let you down as not wanting to say my true feelings in case i upset you more :unhappy:

Breech of contract he's bought a trap stock and tried to convert it , not a cat in hells chance in making that stock to fur fill your requests :no: tell him straight and ask for you gun and deposit back or you will see him in court .

Sorry Bud :/

I'd be happy with it paddy if

it had teardrops semi pistolgrip and was nice exebition grade wood

All the best

Of

I was trying to be a little up beat about it OF, it's the kind of thing i'd have, obviously not what you'd ordered so you have every right to be annoyed, if I were in your position i'd be round his house avec persuader getting my gun and money back

Honestly, giving him a chance to put it right with a modified trap stock is giving him another chance to take you for a ride, be firm with the guy, if you ordered a conservatory on your house and got a greenhouse stuck on the side you'd say he's ripping you off, as he appears to be here.

Good luck, sincerely hope you find a solution. Of course you could contact BASC legal department. I suspect that you'd get somewhere face to face with the guy

OF

We have shared text's over this matter and i feel i have let you down as not wanting to say my true feelings in case i upset you more :unhappy:

Breech of contract he's bought a trap stock and tried to convert it , not a cat in hells chance in making that stock to fur fill your requests :no: tell him straight and ask for you gun and deposit back or you will see him in court .

Sorry Bud :/

Not a problem magman I guessed you were being nice 😊

The first picture looks like a trap stock and the 2nd picture looks like he is altering a 2nd hand stock to try and suit. Think he has either sent the wrong pictures or he is trying to fob off an old stock he has in his possession.

You have clearly specified exactly what you wanted so that is what you should receive with your hard earned.

If the wood blank chosen was not suitable you should have been informed and allowed to choose another to your liking.

Best of luck getting a satisfactory result.

OF, trying to go back to the beginning, do you have anything in writing to verify what style/pattern/specification etc you agreed when it was ordered?

Hi old man

Thanks for your reply

Yes I have all that and

Olso have met up for mesurment

Although that was notrealy nessesary

As all he had to do was copy the existing stock exactly

This is not the first stock I have had made so am aware of some of the pitfalls

Although he has taken me back a bit with his lack of communication and the way he has adreesed the project

I'm fairly laid back about most stuff and like to give people a chance as we all make errors and mistakes

I know in my own mind what I'm going to do to resolve the issue if he dosent sort it 😇

Was just sharing the experience with the PW members

All the best

Of

Any one fancy a trip to Portugal ?

Hi O F, very respectfully you seem a bit too laid back for your own good?

The longer you do nothing IMHO the worse your position becomes legally?

Sounds like the guys here that do know may think it will never morph into what you ordered?

You are obviously upset at this, as would be reasonable.

Do you know of a mate who could support you on a visit to finally resolve this?

Hi O F, very respectfully you seem a bit too laid back for your own good?

The longer you do nothing IMHO the worse your position becomes legally?

Sounds like the guys here that do know may think it will never morph into what you ordered?

You are obviously upset at this, as would be reasonable.

Do you know of a mate who could support you on a visit to finally resolve this?

Thanks for your reply and I think your right having slept on it and read all the responses

For witch I thank you all very much I am addressing the matter accordingly

As I see it there are 3 or 4 options

1. Full refund and gun back

2 gun back with better wood but NOT what I wanted at considerably reduced cost

3 the stock I ordered to the spesifictions agreed at the price agreed

Or option

Proberably not the best choice

Revert to my former self shout rant rave swear and smash the whole thing to bits infront of him

Expressing my tru feelings towards the job and service giver by the rip of merchant

Although I am trying to rise above this and be a better person

I admit I proberably have been to laid back on this occasion but in the past going in with all guns blazing.

Has seldom done much good

Note there is no way I'm accepting the stock in the picture I hate the wood I would not have even chose it for the fire

I have let the stock maker continue as he hasent as yet bothered to ask if I like the wood

Many thanks for your concern and advice

I hope this thread helps others that maybe considering upgrades or bespoke work

All the best

Of

Hi old man

Thanks for your reply

Yes I have all that and

Olso have met up for mesurment

Although that was notrealy nessesary

As all he had to do was copy the existing stock exactly

This is not the first stock I have had made so am aware of some of the pitfalls

Although he has taken me back a bit with his lack of communication and the way he has adreesed the project

I'm fairly laid back about most stuff and like to give people a chance as we all make errors and mistakes

I know in my own mind what I'm going to do to resolve the issue if he dosent sort it

Was just sharing the experience with the PW members

All the best

Of

Any one fancy a trip to Portugal ?

I'll be more than happy to drive you :good:

I'm sorry that this matter hasn't been sorted yet. :no:

Like i said to you in our PM's, the wood in the first picture (to myself) would look very nice on a clay gun, and cumbersome on a game gun. A game gun should look refined with smooth lines and be a pleasure to show as a piece art when out in the field. Like what you ordered.

Your laid back manner is a credit to you and i'm sure you know how to proceed.

Option one is the best outcome and the way to go. However i know you would be more than capable of option four and would be more than happy to be there, to provide a wright up all about it :lol:

You have waited 7 months so far with this project and placed a deadline which is less than a fortnight away. See what the outcome is on the 1st of May and then you already know what to do.

Good luck with it pal. Speak soon.

All the best

Mark.

IMHO - cut your losses and get a decent bloke to do the job for you while claiming your money back in court-there's only one guy that I would, hand on heart, recommend-demonwolf444 (james) on this very forum-the guy has sawdust in his veins :good:

Would happily have James do work for me I think he's brilliant and more than capable though sadly geography some times dictates choice

Thanks for your comment its much appreciated

All the best

Of

I'll be more than happy to drive you :good:

I'm sorry that this matter hasn't been sorted yet. :no:

Like i said to you in our PM's, the wood in the first picture (to myself) would look very nice on a clay gun, and cumbersome on a game gun. A game gun should look refined with smooth lines and be a pleasure to show as a piece art when out in the field. Like what you ordered.

Your laid back manner is a credit to you and i'm sure you know how to proceed.

Option one is the best outcome and the way to go. However i know you would be more than capable of option four and would be more than happy to be there, to provide a wright up all about it :lol:

You have waited 7 months so far with this project and placed a deadline which is less than a fortnight away. See what the outcome is on the 1st of May and then you already know what to do.

Good luck with it pal. Speak soon.

All the best

Mark.

See you at the charity shoot

You would be good in Portugal they drive on the same side you do 😂

Depending on the outcome we may need a minibus 😊😊😊

Thanks for your thoughts and support in this matter

All the best

Of

OF

The latest photo confirmed my suspicions of being a trap stock.

The trouble is that the line of the stock is completely wrong for a true POW grip and I really don't see how that can be put right. A rounded end on a pistol grip doesn't make it look or feel right. Look at how the line of the stock underside runs through - it just looks 'off'.

I'd voice your concerns now and tell him you want what you specifically ordered, not a re-work of a previous customer's reject.

Sincerely hope you get this sorted.