Budget chainsaw recommendation

harpoonlouis

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys,

I've not pulled the trigger yet but I'll be looking at a 2nd hand Stihl around £100, I don't really want to spend more.

Now I've got a better understanding of the model numbers. I think they changed around 2002 so anything with the 0 at the beginning is at least 14 years old if I'm right.

I wouldn't mind buying a wrecker cheap as a bit of a project really.

Thanks all :good:

Ur doing better than me then, i still haven't a clue how stihl number their models and i've been running the for years (with a mix of husky too)

With most things cars, diggers or husky even other chainsaws the model number is usually linked somehow to engine size or wieght or is somehow semi relevant.

But stihl saws they seem just to think of a random number.

My local chainsaw shop reckons the mittox's aren't bad saws, and easy cheap to fix/service/parts, think was about 180 for a new 40cc saw.

I just bought a cheap new efco saw, don't get me wrong it's no stihl or husky but 1/2 price and seems ok so far, will do for a knock about light/back up saw

i'm fairly sure the stihl numbers represented the capacity of the engine in cubic inches, my 045 is 0.45ci, about 72cc

I picked up a nice jonsered 2052 (52cc) from the bay with a full service for about a ton, helluva saw, revs like a loon

Cheers for that going to haver to figure out how to convert cubic inches into cc now to test it.

U mnay be right but i know i have a 361 but the 341 is almost identical barel size, think the difference is a twin port and different carb t get the extra power. think there both around 57ish cc as were comparable to the Husky 357 (which is a heap of junk, esp compared to wot it followed the trusty 254xp best saw ever made)

My father used to do forestry work back in the 1980s and after he died I found a jonsered 70e in his shed when clearing it out. It looked like new,after striping and cleaning the carb in runs perfectly it has a 20" bar its heavy and has quite a bit of vibration compared to modern saws but it really cuts well with loads of power.

Thats why few of the older cutter have vibration white finger, from those older saws but they were working them full time 5/6 days a week for years.

A mate i used to cut with took the top of his finger off with a home made log splitter and never even felt it as his fingers are so numb sometimes with white finger..

Brilliant advice on this thread, perfect timing for me. Looks like the husky 135 is the one, but if I wanted Stihl. What's their first decent model?

I have a 14ins Stihl MS181..it has had regular use for the last 10 years or so. Coupled with a decent chain which is kept sharp. It has been faultless. I recall it was a tad under £250 when I bought it but now perhaps a bit more.

Very easy to start, service and maintain.

I don't spend money easily but this was an excellent investment.

It'll be mainly general garden/smallholding work, felling small trees, chopping up small trees for firewood, but I have been given a load wood to chop that's a bit bigger, trunks maybe 18 inches diameter, a 14/16 inch saw would still cope with that wouldn't it? I don't really want to get something massive that's heavy and hard to use.

U can generally cross cut trees/logs to around double the bar length, just have to cut from both sides/turn it over, u can fell trees quite a bit bigger than 2 bar lengths if u know wot ur doing.

I usually think saws on ebay are vastly overpriced and usually have a silly great big bar stuck on them to lok good, that the tiny saw engine will never run

It's ebay anything with a drank name sakes stupid Monday it's like the stihl ms181 they make on roughly 150 to 180 for a saw that if you know where to shop can get them around £200 pound and the ones on ebay are 2 and 3 years old. I sold one of my hedge trimmers on there 2 years old and it made 70 pound less than what you can get a new one for with warrenty

Stihl ms170

You should be able to get one new for about 160

(Charlies Stores on the Welsh border always have a keen price on them)

Had one for a number of years, very good, fells and chops small trees with ease.

I use Aspen to ensure that it always starts.

I just missed a Stihl 038 AV Super that went on Ebay for £137. A fairly short drive from me.

By all accounts this is one of their legendary old saws. But because I'm a tightwad I've set a budget of around £100 so I'm playing the game of get the best I can for that money.

I'm in no great rush.

I would buy a 023 or if money allowed a 026, weight is the killer for bucking all day. 038s are great but would the extra weight be worth it? Im just a wimp so a light saw means I can do a full days work with a small saw and only bring out the big guns when needed.

I would buy a 023 or if money allowed a 026, weight is the killer for bucking all day. 038s are great but would the extra weight be worth it? Im just a wimp so a light saw means I can do a full days work with a small saw and only bring out the big guns when needed.

I'm sure you'd be right, I always do this though. Keep speccing up for no real reason. My though process was if I can get a powerful saw for the right price I'd put a new shorter bar on it then not be left wanting if I needed something more powerful in the future.

I've been looking at the 026 which is probably the right model for me now. If a beefier one comes up at the right price though who knows,,,,,

Edited by Muddy Funker

Being honest how often do u actually spend a whole day logging?

I'd imagine very few folk do.

There is easy ways to hold the saw and use ur body too for supporting the saw, for when u do work a saw all day. U are not long in burning 1 gallon of petrol when ur working it all day

If i'm butting of big stuff or logging at ground level i try to position my body so both my elbows or forearms are resting on my knees/thighs so supporting the saw but the timber also supports it too

My 1st saw was a stihl 021? or something? great wee saw till a big tree squashed it, i cut some big timber with it and it was only 40 odd cc. In fact done some of my medium tree tickets with it and a 15" bar felling trees with 3ft butts

Unless ur cutting hardwoods with 3-4ft butts there really is no need for a saw with a big engine, ys=es it will cut small wood faster but if just for hobby use time is not really such an issue

I use aspen. It contains no ethanol, and is an alkalyte fuel. It is allegedly kinder to the environment but I don't use my saw enough to worry about that. The main point is that modern petrol contains ethanol and aspen does not. When left for any length of time the ethanol unbinds from the petrol, but the two stroke oil stays binded to the petrol, so there is a risk of engine damage. Petrol is also hygroscopic and aspen is not. I believe I read somewhere that the ethanol can also attack the plastics and rubber in your fuel system. Aspen is expensive, but as an occasional user I have no concerns about bad fuel etc. You have to look around to get the best price. My local dealer wants £30 per 5 litre can, if I get a mate to buy it at the agri supplier where he lives it is "only" £20. I then just pick it up from him at the ranges when we shoot.