gun cabinet capacity

looking for a bit of advice, not had my license SG long, ive got a 3 gun cabinet and squeezed 4 guns in , my mate has seen a gun its a bargain,and hopefully his lincense should fingers crossed will be here soon, was going too put it on mine it will fit in my cabinet at a push, is there any restriction on how many shotguns you can have even if when i had my visit they put down i had only a 3 gun cabinet?

No, as long as you can fit the guns in the cabinet then you can have as many as you like in there.

I have a 5 gun cabinet, which has 6 guns in it - FEO never said a word when last visit took place.

You might want to think about gun socks - all my shotguns are in them, to protect from bashes.

I have a 6 gun cabinet, & have 9 s/g in it. I had a call from my FEO, regarding this as on their records I only had a 4 gun cabinet, which I originally had but got a bigger 6 one. He stated that Essex say that if it's a 6 gun then that's all you can put in it, other forces like Suffolk for instance, 1/2 a mile from me say if the door shuts you can squeeze as many as that will fit in. I said that the only thing that makes mine a 6 is the foam insert with cut outs for each barrel, if removed who's to know what it is ?? He asked how many I have now, I told him 9 & plenty of room still, so he sad that's fine then & updated mine to a 10, he said once you mention 11 they want alarms on your house etc, so I was happy with 10 :-).

As stated the socks are great, I keep all mine in full length ones to keep protected from knocks & they are also impregnated with silicone oil or something that helps keep moisture at bay :-) Only 6-7 quid each on ebay. Well worth it :-)

Just because you can squeeze more guns in than the manufacturers stated capacity doesn't make the cabinet any less secure.

All you should need to worry about is:-

Does the cabinet meet the required specification?

Is the cabinet installed to the minimum requirements?

I would suggest, anything else is over and above, and thus not legally required.

I have a 6 gun cabinet, & have 9 s/g in it. I had a call from my FEO, regarding this as on their records I only had a 4 gun cabinet, which I originally had but got a bigger 6 one. He stated that Essex say that if it's a 6 gun then that's all you can put in it, other forces like Suffolk for instance, 1/2 a mile from me say if the door shuts you can squeeze as many as that will fit in. I said that the only thing that makes mine a 6 is the foam insert with cut outs for each barrel, if removed who's to know what it is ?? He asked how many I have now, I told him 9 & plenty of room still, so he sad that's fine then & updated mine to a 10, he said once you mention 11 they want alarms on your house etc, so I was happy with 10 :-).

As stated the socks are great, I keep all mine in full length ones to keep protected from knocks & they are also impregnated with silicone oil or something that helps keep moisture at bay :-) Only 6-7 quid each on ebay. Well worth it :-)

Well i thought that too so i took out the foam divider/insert and tried it with 2 sxs, 1 o/u, 1 single and 2 air rifles, it a squeeze but if i protect the guns with socks should be ok,

cheers for the response again lads :good:

Edited by fastfred69

Different police forces are 'bending' the rules to suit themselves. There is no law that states that if you have a 4 gun cabinet, then only 4 guns can be kept in it. The same goes for other size cabinets. It's the security of the firearms that matters most.

Absolutely, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, mine is a 7 gun but kind FEO put it down as a 10 but then got letter saying if I get to 8 I need an alarm fitted!

Different police forces are 'bending' the rules to suit themselves. There is no law that states that if you have a 4 gun cabinet, then only 4 guns can be kept in it. The same goes for other size cabinets. It's the security of the firearms that matters most.

This.

In Essex the magic number is 11 then you must have an alarm. Hence the reason he put me down for 10 so I wouldn't come under their radar. Give the chap his dues he was very helpful & tbh on my side I think :-) Does annoy me though when different force Chiefs decide to as you say "Bend" the interpretation of the law to suit their own opinion or wants. Will be interesting to see how I get on with the Black powder licence application :-)

I have heard if you have more than 5 guns you need an alarm. Is that a specific legal requirement or does it depend on the feo's opinion?

It depends.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417199/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

Page 173, 19.34 states that an alarm should almost always be a requirement for 10 or more guns, but that it could be for as low as 6. But even then, 19.33 (a,b,c,d) state that it doesn't HAVE to be an alarm, but that an alarm should be 'considered' alongside other security measures.