Dog humping problem

Hi folks. My 2 1/2 yr old lab has started trying to hump anything with a pulse. He doesn't try with me, wife or my kids but anyone else especially with a scent and he's trying to dry ride them. He's intact and hadn't planned on getting them off but it's starting to be a problem.

Any suggestions welcome- have tried the usual, shouting and lug pulling but it's not a long term solution.

Will a trip to the vets sort this behaviour out??

Edited by crowdie2013

This happened to a friend of mine.

She had just got out of the bath when she bent down to pull out the plug.

The dog (a Great Dane) mounted her from behind.

She had no choice but to take it to the vets ...........................For its nails cutting :lol:

This happened to a friend of mine.

She had just got out of the bath when she bent down to pull out the plug.

The dog (a Great Dane) mounted her from behind.

She had no choice but to take it to the vets ...........................For its nails cutting :lol:

That cracked me up lol

At two and a half I would suggest it's behavioural rather than hormonal in which case castration may help, but it may not. I'd be correcting the behaviour first and trying to sort it that way. Water pistol's probably as good a place as any to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't get him castrated.

Its not a sexual thing its dominance, a vet will probably castrate purely to make money from you.

Why he doesn't do it to you and the family? He knows your in charge, strangers he's trying to assert himself, a water pistol sounds a good idea, I would probably just give him a slight slap to break his concentration.

Or encourage the person being humped to give him a slap and assert their dominance.

Its why bitches mount other bitches! Its all about pecking order

Please don't get him castrated.

Its not a sexual thing its dominance, a vet will probably castrate purely to make money from you.

Why he doesn't do it to you and the family? He knows your in charge, strangers he's trying to assert himself, a water pistol sounds a good idea, I would probably just give him a slight slap to break his concentration.

Or encourage the person being humped to give him a slap and assert their dominance.

Its why bitches mount other bitches! Its all about pecking order

Wow, I should be extremely careful about telling a stranger to give a dog trying to assert dominance a slap- that has real potential to go the wrong way big time and you end up with a bite out of the dog protecting itself or reacting to the direct challenge

Wow, I should be extremely careful about telling a stranger to give a dog trying to assert dominance a slap- that has real potential to go the wrong way big time and you end up with a bite out of the dog protecting itself or reacting to the direct challenge

You cant allow a dog to dominate a human - Your just asking for trouble. Maybe a 'slap' isnt a good term but the human should definitely be correcting the dog and putting it in its place

Oh so risk adverse.

Don't you know how your own dog would react if slapped? I do, mine would slink away.

This isn't an aggresive dog its one with dominance issues, trying to assert itself on everyone. Don't allow it to and encourage others to help keep it where it belongs.

The reason I am so anti castration is a lot of vets are working on business loans they used to set up the practice and part of the business model they use is to neuter all animals to generate money.

It wouldn't help this dog, he would and could be even more unsettled and confused about his place in the pecking order.

what's the saying? "if you want to test your own importance try ordering someone elses dog about". :lol: I should want time to assert my position / rank before I went slapping a strange dog, it might also be wise to know you had the owners blessing

I am imagining by someone being in your home and being "humped" by the dog they are a friend or at least a friendly neighbour, as such being asked to help wouldn't be such a shock and they would know you and the dog already? Unless the dog is raping strangers in the park?

Mine did this to a steel rep as soon as he sat down only a fortnight or so ago, I was onto the dog like lightning - not sure what the dog might have done if he tried giving it a quick slap, never expected it not really a trait I allow or have seen in the dog from puppyhood. he wouldn't have left with a sale anyhow

Jif squeezy lemon works well, easy to keep in the pocket and a quick scoosh is remarkably effective at interrupting whatever thought the dog had at that time.

The lemon juice does no harm and is a wee bit more effective than water as most dogs don't like the sharp taste.

Jif squeezy lemon works well, easy to keep in the pocket and a quick scoosh is remarkably effective at interrupting whatever thought the dog had at that time.

The lemon juice does no harm and is a wee bit more effective than water as most dogs don't like the sharp taste.

I would be careful about lemon juice getting in your dogs eyes as it is irritant.