Gardening problem

Boristhedog

I have a large Californian Lilac bush (or small tree) in the garden which is very special. My wife died 7 weeks ago and as it was her favourite plant I placed her ashes in its shade.

During the rough weather on Monday night it has blown over. The roots are still in the ground but the trunk has snapped about half way through some 6 inches off the soil.

I'd rather not cut it down if it can be saved. Has anyone dealt with this sort of damage successfully? I wondered whether strapping the trunk and staking it might save it.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I am sorry to hear about your wife.

I am by no means a gardening expert, but years ago, I saved an apple tree by supporting the stem with roofing lath after it had snapped. it worked for several years, until I didn't pay enough attention to it, and the rope I had bound it all together with strangled the tree. the break was about 18 inches above the ground.

Got to be worth a try - hopefully someone with some knowledge will be along shortly.

I have a shrub with a similar issue. I used duct tape and it lived on. Not sure that it won't die in the end bit it has been 2+ years. I am a gardening idiot so this was luck.

My condolences on your loss.

Edited by ehb102

Me also, my sincere condolences for your loss.

I think the common name for this bush is Ceanothus? which from memory is quite a prolific plant. Are there any buds or branches below the break? I agree with a stake and strapping.

I guess it was thick with bloom when the wind caught it.

Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope someone can come up with a solution.

For what it's worth I have some experience grafting cacti. The idea behind it is to take two different plants, cut the stems very cleanly and then hold them together under pressure (from above). The key with cacti is to ensure cleanliness in the cutting implement and to get a good flat "connection" between the two separate plants.

Maybe you could do the same, inline with what people have suggested above but ensuring a good clean cut of the root / stem part and the upper body of the plant.

Alternatively maybe just leaving the root ball and part of trunk alone it would reshoot?

Sorry for your loss Mate.

Regards the tree.

Can you get some cuttings from the new growth before the whole lot wilts.

If successful,they would at least be from the original and who knows,they might even catch up with the new regrowth on the stump.

If you are cuccessful with any cuttings or regrowth vermin od the tender material.

I planted one last week and the rabbits dont seem interested in it,so far.

I have a shrub with a similar issue. I used duct tape and it lived on. Not sure that it won't die in the end bit it has been 2+ years. I am a gardening idiot so this was luck.

My condolences on your loss.

i have heard this trick before about using duck tape......sounds ideal for the tree....wrap it...stake it and mulch around it...i rekon it might be ok......keep watering it,,,as it will have lost a lot of rootlets in the upheaval..............

Found this...........

Shrubs tend to perform well for six or seven years and then lose vigour and die. Take cuttings of semi-ripe wood from August until October, placing the 6in lengths of stem in a half-and-half mixture of soil-based gritty compost and horticultural sand. These should root over winter, but may take longer, for potting up individually in gritty compost and planting in late spring.

Personally I would go down the sacking and the tape route with 2 supporting stakes. However, before putting the sacking and tape on I would cover the split with grafting wax. This will form an airtight seal and help it heal over better. Next autumn remove the ducktape and inspect it, but be sure to keep the stakes and ties in position for ever.

And just incase grow on some cuttings for the future.

Hope it works out for you

I am sorry to hear about your wife.

Ceanothus does not come back from old wood. Depending on how big it is the staking and tying method may well succeed. The cutting down to a 'manageable size' method and expecting it to shoot from the old black stem will not.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Question. Is your Californian Lilac Deciduous or Evergreen? There are two types. If it is Deciduous then apparently they respond well to hard pruning i.e. there is a good chance new growth will come from the stump.