Myxy Question

fruity

Hi all

Following on from a recent myxy post.

What do think of the pictures of the rabbit in the post , they seem to be post myxy ??? I think ..

The tumors/lesions appear to be scabbing over/healing slightly, the fur loss around the lower jaw/whisker area is growing back a bit and the genitals look as if there healing..

Is this rabbit recovering from the disease ? Not had the full dose maybe ? Or contracting it slower ?

I would like to think a recovery is taking place

Thanks in advance :)

post-48582-0-66165100-1436652230_thumb.jpg

post-48582-0-58928000-1436652242_thumb.jpg

It is said that Mixy never did kill the rabbits as a primary cause, they only ever died from the secondary effects such as dehydration. In the early days most did die though but it appears the survivors have gradually bred a more resistant offspring.

The degree of scarring on the survivors that you shoot shows evidence that they have been through a very serious infection but as Luckyshot said you don't see many dead ones these days.

Mind you, round here the Kites would probably take them, they are starting to reach pest proportions now

'I would like to think a recovery is taking place'

I think its dead!! :)

:lol:

Many rabbits seem to survive nowadays. The mucus membranes swell enormously, which is why the eyes, nose and anus protrude so much. If that swelling is also taking place within the nose and throat it must be horrendous. However, if they can continue to eat, drink and breathe, they will survive.

Its always been claimed that the inbreeding of wild rabbits means that they eventually become immune to myxy and I have seen many rabbits with scarring on the head, which otherwise were quite healthy.

I also remember reading something back in the '60's that stronger strains of myxy were being introduced to counter this effect.

Resistance has now reached 35% in 1935 resistance 0%.

We still get a lot of deaths here. Last big attack cleared most rabbits and there not really making a comeback 4 years on.

John.

Still see it around here now and then and rabbit numbers are rubbish :(

Has it ever been proved that it was a man made disease? I thought that was just one of those dafter conspiracy theories. It has certainly been spread deliberately in the past but would anyone all those years ago have had the technology to genetically engineer a disease and if they could would they use it to kill mere rabbits?

Edited by Vince Green

Has it ever been proved that it was a man made disease? I thought that was just one of those dafter conspiracy theories. It has certainly been spread deliberately in the past but would anyone all those years ago have had the technology to genetically engineer a disease and if they could would they use it to kill mere rabbits?

Pretty sure it was originally delevoped for Australia.

You want to google Australia rabbit plague or the likes to see just how bad they were over run.

As I recall from an information booklet provided by the Ministry of Agriculture that I had over forty years ago, it was a disease found in South American rabbits, which differ from European rabbits. The vector in South America was the mosquito, but the disease was not necessarily fatal to them. A French scientist who was allegedly suffering a plague of rabbits on his land introduced the disease which had the effect of killing all the rabbits. The European vector is the rabbit flea. Seeing the effectiveness other landowners used diseased animals to rid their land of the pesky lagomorphs. I suppose a similar parallel could be drawn with red and grey squirrels concerning squirrel pox, injurious to greys and fatal to reds. So strictly speaking it's not an engineered disease but an introduced disease. Still a sickener to see it appear on land where you have permission.