Folding Pen Knife advice please

Hi, I only just realised that having a folding lock knife in my car is counted as an offensive weapon, however I do use it a lot when I'm out and about..

But so i can comply with the law does anyone have any recommendations for a folding pen knife with a decent blade 3" or slightly under.

Being a skinflint I don't want to go spending silly money.

Many thanks

Geoff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your lock knife only comes under the offensive weapons times if there are other circumstances e.g. you are waving it around during an argument in the pub. The rest of the time, your problem is the Criminal Justice Act 1988, section 193, "having an article with a blade or point in a public place".

A non-locking knife is allowable without good reason, a locking blade or fixed blade is allowable with good reason or lawful authority.

That said, if you wave your non-locking knife around in the aforesaid pub argument, the off-weap rules kick in regardless.

As for a recommendation, for when you have a good reason, use a fixed blade Mora.

For when you don't, there are still a few makers in Sheffield making traditional folding knives in the £20 range. For something a bit nicer, you can't go wrong with a Spyderco UKPK- the current incarnation is reasonably priced, or a Pingo if you can find one.

Check "Other Sales", I`m sure there was one up for grabs.

Check whether it locks or not - a lot of them do.

I have an Opinel number nine, It has a 3.5 inch blade and a twist lock system, I carry it everywhere and use it daily, carbon steel blade holds an edge, and all for under £10, there are smaller sizes available.

Also illegal to be just left in your vehicle without good reason.

I have an Opinel number nine, It has a 3.5 inch blade and a twist lock system, I carry it everywhere and use it daily, carbon steel blade holds an edge, and all for under £10, there are smaller sizes available.

As said above be careful if you carry it everywhere with you. A everyday carry should have a blade 3" or less and not possible to lock without having good reason to have it on you at the time.

is it a lock knife or a knife that locks is there a difference?

The precident was set by a judge who said that a knife with a blade that locks should be viewed the same as a fixed knife for legal purposes, so a lock knife isn't illegal in law but comes under the afforementioned precident. Hence any blade that locks is treated as a fixed blade and is illegal to carry on public or keep in your car without a good reason regardless of waving it about in public or the length of the blade You are allowed to carry on your person without good reason a knife with a blade of 3 inches or less Which is not viewed as an offensive weapon unless you start waving it about in public or threatening people with it. So anything fixed blade or locking is illegal and offensive unless you have good reason to have it( work, going or coming from hunting etc.) I have found the best legal knife is a good old Swiss army one, gerbers and leatherman are all locking blades and I think most opines are as well

Joker knives from Spain do a folding, non locking, slipjoint knife,in various blade and handle materials for less than 20 quid,including carbon steel variants - best steak knife in the world, and takes a razor edge, can be sharpened on the bottom of a teacup.

Ukpk or squeak from spyderco are very good quality, solid knives, but you'll pay 40-50 quid, worth it though.

As earlier poster said, look at Sheffield makers like Trevor ablett, does handmade, multi blade slipjoint knives for less money than the spyderco, carbon steel, choice of handle scales, and no copper in the land will pull you for it (unless you act the maggot) as they are a traditional style grandad pocket knife.

I used to carry my knives in the shooting bus and they where kept in a tray in the back door( couldn't be seen from outside).During some floods a few yrs back I was flagged down by a county car that was straddling the road,up the road was a plonka who had tried to drive his Fiesta through 2ft of flood water and had conked out in the middle.The officer asked me if I could pull it out but when I opened the rear door to get the tow straps out he spotted the knives.He didn't say anything just then but said as I was putting the stuff back in he said that" if I wasn't going or returning from shooting then they should not be left in the vehicle"He was quite nice about it and said its "just some good advise "after thanking me for pulling out the Fiesta.

I would highly recommend the Spyderco UKPK or Spyderco Squeak. Both in the region of £50, not an insignificant investment but they're well made and feature quality steel. They both have ergonomic choils; semi-circular cutouts behind the blade's cutting edge. These allow you to use these non-locking knives reasonably hard - safe in the knowledge that it's physically impossible for them to close on your fingers. They're both worth the money in my opinion, the UKPK is the more versatile of the two - having a larger cutting edge. Heinnie Haynes is an excellent retailer with a large selection of "UK friendly carry knives", they even have a section on their website specific to this type of knife.

Edited by A.J.P.

Heinnie Haynes are a fantastic firm to deal with. They have a whole section of UK legal folding knives.

One word of warning, they can be addictive.

I am particularly addicted to Rough Rider knives, extremely good value.

And me. Rough rider are superb value. You can even get one with a surprisingly useful mini one inch bladed hatchet.