Christmas in New York

Scully

Not actually spending Christmas Day there but the week prior to it. Daughter has often mentioned Christmas shopping in New York, and am now toying with the idea but haven't told either her or son just in case it doesn't happen.

Have had a browse of hotel deals and flights but nothing confirmed. Anyone done this? Any advice would be appreciated.

done it few times,Missus works for airline which helps...hotels expensive in NY,if want good but not daft try The Randolph,v v well located too easy walk to theatre land/main shops etc.....PS im a 50 something fussy old ****....if you are young/trendy thing this hotel might not be for you!! atb.ps for cloths/shoes/quality gear it is basically same in $ as in £s here so fill up with clothing etc....and in time square the last minute ticket mall is great for theatre land on the night too...

Got married there last year at the beginning of Dec so Xmas shopping was in full swing...

Wasn't exactly like you see in the movies with Santas on every corner and snow- pee'd it down nearly every day and the water never seemed to drain.

Couple this with some ridiculously high side walks meant I often plunged into deep n dirt water.

Shops are nicely decorated but soooo overcrowded, plus weren't that many great savings!

Rockerfella Xmas tree switch on was great as was wandering through/ around Central Park with some gift stalls.

But would I go just for Xmas shopping? Nope, any UK shopping mall is nicer--- but that's not what NYC is all about, it's about the buzz, the sights and sounds ( dam them fire engines at 3 in the morn), the different areas and cultures plus some great food places.

Don't just stick to Manhatten either but explore further, esp if you wish for some shooting related activity ( and no, I don't mean some gangster stuff) as its pretty restricted in New York State.

So, if you have not been- do it, obv it holds some special memories for us, we really didn't want to come home...

Jay

I am not a city lover but went there in January a couple of years ago. Amazing place! Not a rip off like most major cities around the world. Stayed on Times Square. Great location. Lots to do. Amazing blues clubs if u like music. Best breakfasts ever in local diners etc etc. shopping ok but not as good as most of the rest of America as don't have the big malls. Go for it and you will enjoy it.

I have done a couple of shopping breaks to Chicago instead of New York as typically a little bit less expensive to get to and stay in.

If you do go it will be manic and New York is rightly known for the people being very brusque, but that is all part of the charm. I am sure you would have a great time if you choose to go.

Look to renting an apartment, you can save money as Hotels can be very expensive around Christmas.

As said it can be wet but more than that it can be very cold with snow and wind blowing straight down from the Arctic.

Everything looks amazing nowhere does Christmas like Manhatten.

I'd go in a heartbeat.

John.

I'd recommend Thanksgiving instead, it's pretty much the start of the run into Christmas so the markets and ice rinks are there and decorations are up, you also get the to see the Macy's parade. As mentioned earlier Woodbury Common is a good place for bargains and there's also the Jersey Gardens (although I haven't been to that one)

My wife used to have an office on 7th Avenue so we spent quite a bit of time in NYC. It is a great city but, as others have said, the cold at that time of year cuts right through you so dress up warm. I would suggest a couple of places to eat. Keen's Steakhouse on W34th Street (www.keens.com) is great but busy so book ahead online. Ellen's Stardust Diner is fun(www.ellensstardustdiner.com) but very busy at regular mealtimes so maybe go for a late lunch when the lines are shorter.

Anyhow, if you can do it, no more thinking required - go book!

Edited by NickS