Dress code for Picking up?

tullyhubbert

I've asked a couple of local pheasant shoots about getting a chance of picking up with my 2 1/2yo black lab. Got a call this evening and we're asked to a shoot this coming Saturday.

Given that I haven't been to a pheasant shoot for 25 years (Even then it was always as part of a field trial and pickers up were given the day off) I'm not sure what dress code if any is required. Obviously my camo shooting jacket is out but I was thinking olive moleskin trousers, tattersall shirt and tidy 3/4 lenght jacket would suffice. My dog is pretty good but I've no idea how he'll react to driven pheasants, so I don't want to be spending a fortune if he isn't going to be suitable in the long run. I'd like to get something ordered online asap. John Norris moleskin trousers seem good value, anyone know if the waist sizings are neat or generous?

Thoughts and advice please?

I'm meeting the gamekeeper on Tuesday so I'll confirm everything with him then.

Thanks

--

John

Hi

Sounds like your going to be dressed about right smart and workmanlike

John Norris moleskin trouser a tad small so I always order a size up

May pay you to pick a darker shirt dont want to look like a beacon

Don't forget a few ties

And I'm sure your dog will be fine

Top tip his nose and eyes are better than yours

Enjoy the day

All the best

Of

Thanks Old farrier.

My dogs working well for me but ... there's a world of difference between shooting pigeons over decoys, flighting ducks and a driven pheasant shoot. If anything will make a dog go boogaloo it's the latter lol.

WP_20150912_14_40_20_Pro_zpslx7tzj7c.jpg

Tie <gulp> I don't want to turn up as the newbie looking wet behind the ears and overdressed! The gamekeeper sounded a decent sort on the phone so hopefully he'll clear that up for me.

You won't go wrong if you wear what you would if you were a gun on a formal driven day, with the addition of some presentable waterproof trousers/legging should it be wet.

But as has been said, the keeper will advise you of what is the norm for his shoot and what he expects pickers to wear.

Thanks for all the advice, some useful info especially in a post I read earlier from site admin 'Teal' that now seems to have disappeared.

I took the dog up to see the gamekeeper tonight, easy to get on with and had a brew with him and a few lads who had been dogging-in with spaniels. Dress code isn't too formal and and long as I'm 'tidy' then that's fine. I get a feeling he's a little short of pickers up which is probably why we're getting a go. He's happy to give us both a try and he'll try put us in a quieter location for the first few drives. The normal is to ignore dead birds and only retrieve wounded/runners during the drives.

I'm welcome to bring the dog to the estate from now until the weekend to get him used to the birds. He was fine walking to heel round the laneways tonight, lots of birds running in front of us and lauching themselves of walls etc, so that gives me a little more confidence. The estate is only 10 mins away so I'll get up for a while each evening :good:

Also dress for the weather conditions , this time of the year it can very warm to very cold and every thing in between , also if you need to go into the woods there is a lot of bramble / nettles ect , so don't worry yourself about not having moleskin trousers as a pair of dark trousers are fine and if your got leggings on you will not look out of place . Believe you me I have seen a lot of the guns who need to be told how to dress for a days shooting and the best dressed person I have seen on our shoot was one of the beaters who used to come , he had the best of everything from boots to coats and I must say he really did look smart , too smart if anything .

A bit of advice for you and your dog.

Don't send him / her for a runner behind the guns during a drive if your not sure if your dog is steady enough to avoid falling game while it trying to get a runner , as you wont be popular if it going from one bird to another as they are hitting the ground and then dropping one to go after another and completely ignoring your whistle .

Also don't let your dog pick up behind a gun who have brought his dog unless he /she have asked you , they have paid a lot of money to shoot and part of there enjoyment is to watch there dog retrieving what they have shot .

Remember to take some refreshments for your dog and yourself , relax , be friendly and enjoy the day .

You'll enjoy a day working your dog even its just the experience. Some days I prefer picking up to shooting.

+1, we had fully driven days last season on our syndicate and I enjoyed working the dog (when she behaved :whistling: ) more than shooting.

Re the clothing.

As others have said really, I would recommend "drab" colours so you blend in to the background (it can be beneficial if the dog thinks it knows better. Not that yours will as he looks and sounds like a good lad). Throw the leggings you are wearing in the picture in your game bag, as they look ideal for bramble bashing.

Enjoy your day.

ATB

Sabs

Throw the leggings you are wearing in the picture in your game bag, as they look ideal for bramble bashing.

Thats actually my brother, I took the picture. It was an interesting day for me as we had two hides 150yds apart. Mine was in an elevated position and I left the dog with my brother after a while as he was in the better position. The dog was happy to work for him and I really enjoyed watching him doing some blind retrieves (A couple of good long ones) over the barley stubble.

I'll put my waxed leggings in the game bag, they are well used and scruffy though so hopefully they won't be needed :)

I dont know of hardly anywhere these days that has a dress code that includes sundry staff. You see guns turn up in anything and everything. the beaters are in anything and everything. The main thing is to dress in stuff that will kep you dry and warm but that you can work and carry without overheating. leggings and wellies because you will encounter wet and boggy bits and clothes that you dont mind getting covered in mud blood and feathers and wet muddy dogs in the transport wagon. I've been on some good shoots and that is how it is. mostly no one sees the pickers up anyway as the pick up is done when the guns are either picking up themselves or going back to the vehicles to talk or going to the next drive

dress to the weather conditions,, blacks and greens are usually best,

just a little pointer ,, if the person whom runs the shoot tells you to dress the same as the guns then tell him to supply the clothing,

on our shoot I use fladen olive green warm and waterproof trousers, an olive green wax jacket but most importantly my seal skin socks and gortex army boots, its more important being dry and warm than it is to be dressed like your about to walk down a catwalk,

being your first time, stay well behind the guns,and most importantly keep the dog under control, nothing worse than seeing a dog running round crazily whilst the shoot is in progress,

now for the most important thing,,,,,, JUST ENJOY IT AND RELAX,

let us know how your getting on,

atb Evo

Edited by evo