Roof Moss

Fuji Shooter

Having stupidly offered to clean the moss off the parents roof (didn't realise exactly how big their place was) is there anyway to keep it off.

I have spend the last 4 Saturdays with a wire brush (got through 5 actually) and there is now no moss now in sight on the roof. They have concrete tiles if that makes any difference.

Edited by Freakmode

Personally I think it is cheaper and easier to just clean the gutters every other year, or get gutter guards, and don't worry about the moss on the roof - It wont damage anything.. Moss is hardy stuff and if you have the right conditions it will probably come back no matter what you do.

Like FalconFN, I have never cleared the moss off my slate roof nor did the occupant before me. It has never caused any problems. I just have the gutters cleaned every autumn.

You could try spraying the cleaned roof with something like hypochlorite (parlour cleaner) every couple of years.

From what I've read up on and done myself....

Iron sulphate may stain the tiles, but great on the lawn though it can't be sold as moss killer,

I've used copper sulphate which I've had partial success with, might have been to do with the application, I think it's zinc sulphate that shouldn't get into the watercourse,

then I bought some MMC Pro which seems to have killed the moss straight off, will see if it keeps it at bay. There are other similar products but reviews do vary.

Edited by yod dropper

I got a gallon of blue stuff from Costco for moss and used it diluted on my Cabrio roof as there were a couple of little spots of green along the seam above rear window with the damp Spring early summer. Worked great, used it everywhere round my property I saw any hint of green and it's never returned. When I go in the garage next I'll have a look at what name it is.

Edited by figgy

I got a gallon of blue stuff from Costco for moss and used it diluted on my Cabrio roof as there were a couple of little spots of green along the seam above rear window with the damp Spring early summer. Worked great, used it everywhere round my property I saw any hint of green and it's never returned. When I go in the garage next I'll have a look at what name it is.

Now that would be a good find.

Often the reason you get moss on concrete tiled roofs is because the tile surface erodes and the tiles become porous. They hold water. Moss needs water to survive. If you have cleaned it of and treated it with Moss killer, you can seal the surface with concrete paint, which will stop them eroding as quickly and prolong their life.

Damp concrete tiles deteriorate with frost because when they freeze the water expands and hastens their demise.

I have heard that copper wire draped across the roof will stop all moss growing beneath it ie further down the slope. Probably the same as putting copper nails in trees for the oxide to wash down when it rains.

My flat garage roof had a coating of fibeous type moss on it and I strippd out some coper wire and laid it along the roof near the house. a year later it had killed all of the moss and most of it had blown away on the wind.