Outlet pipe for pond

walshie

My pond is fed by a very small stream and to maintain the depth in the pond, there is an outlet pipe set vertically into the bottom of the pond, normally sticking an inch or so clear of the surface. It's 4" or possibly 5" diameter. When the water lever rises, the water goes down this pipe and discharges into the stream lower down.

Natural Resources Wales have told me this needs to be meshed or gridded off to stop any fish being able to get into the stream.

We've tried meshing it off with chicken wire and cable ties, which does the job, but as soon as it collects a couple of leaves, it obviously slows the flow, letting the water level rise higher than it should.

Can anyone suggest any other way of meshing./gridding this off?

Thanks.

Edited by walshie

You could try putting a cube of wire mesh with a 1cm mesh over the top but have a few inch's under the water so that way the under side should not pick up any leaf litter. Or if it's just a pond for duck shooting then why not just remove any fish.

Atb Paul.

As Paul said, put mesh over the top then a sleeve that extends a foot or so below the water line and higher than the top of the mesh. That way the water travels up the sleeve to overflow but debris on the surface cant clog the mesh.

You will still get sediment of course so leave the top of the sleeve open to make clearing it out easier.

Build a small weir for discharge overground then pipe away?

The length of weir could be matched to volume of discharge?

Once the water gets about a foot higher than this outlet, there are 2 x 12" pipes set into the bank that do the job, as i've seen them in action, but I'd still prefer to keep the water lower than that.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Some great ideas that didn't even cross my mind. :good: I think I'll try Figgy's bird guard idea first. If that gets too bunged up with leaves I should be able to cut some of the mesh away.

Edited by walshie

if its 4" the get a foot section of 6". 6 bolts and 18 nuts plus washers. bolts need to be 2.5" drill hole in bigger pipe at top and bottom on one side only. bottom hole 1" from bottom. top hole 3 " from top. now drill hole 1" down from top of smaller pipe and one 8" lower. holes should line up with the bigger pipe but allowing bigger pipe should 2" higher than smaller pipe. bolt big pipe over smaller pipe. bolt-pipe-nut---nut-pipe-nut

drill 2 more holes the same 120 degree around from the last pair and bolt the same and then 120 degree again.

place mesh over the top and down sides of smaller pipe.

you should end up with a spaced large pipe that stands 2" higher than the smaller overflow pipe. looks very neat, basically it looks like a polo if looking down on it. you cant get floating rubbish caught up as water is fed from under it. just need to be able to clear blanket weed from time to time

My pond is fed by a very small stream and to maintain the depth in the pond, there is an outlet pipe set vertically into the bottom of the pond, normally sticking an inch or so clear of the surface. It's 4" or possibly 5" diameter. When the water lever rises, the water goes down this pipe and discharges into the stream lower down.

Natural Resources Wales have told me this needs to be meshed or gridded off to stop any fish being able to get into the stream.

We've tried meshing it off with chicken wire and cable ties, which does the job, but as soon as it collects a couple of leaves, it obviously slows the flow, letting the water level rise higher than it should.

Can anyone suggest any other way of meshing./gridding this off?

Thanks.

You could divert it to sluice the quadrangle :)

Get a short length of 9" pipe(2-3 feet long). Fix a piece of stainless bar(so that it won't rust away) through it, about 3" from one end and place it over the existing filtered over flow. The water will then be taken from the bottom of the pond so it is less likely to freeze over.