.223 new purchase

storsey

Good morning gentlemen

Having just received my variation for .223 ( to reduce fox numbers on my permissions) I have to now go and buy one ... I was going straight for the budget howa with relevant scope and mod ... I know these shoot quite straight and are quite reliable but was wondering if any of you fellas had anything to say ref this outfit ... Or can you recommend another outfit and any other advise ref foxing for the beginner would be gratefully received....

Cheers

I've just been down this road and after looking at Remingtons, Howas, Tikkas and CZ's the rifles I least liked (sorry to any Howa and Remi owners) was the Howa and the Remington...just didn't like the actions or the trigger on those at all. You can still buy new laminate stocked versions of the CZ527 which has a good trigger, short Mauser action and shoots really well for a little more than the base Howa and imho, it's a better made rifle and nicer to shoot (I have one now). If you can stretch a little more, the Tikka T3 is a good buy or a used Sako 75 would also be a great rifle. Given the choice between a Howa or a CZ /T3/Sako, I'd have the latter every day of the week.

I purchased a Mossberg MVP varmint in .223 1-9 twist. Shoots very well with 53gr Hornady up to 62gr GGG FMJ, I managed to ring steel at 800m ot Orion Firearms training with the GGG. £640 brand new, takes AR15 magazines. You may well have to extend the stock slightly as I found it far too short (I am 6ft 6). It is by all means a budget rifle but it works, looks good and is something a bit different.

There are a few chassis systems and stock varients to choose from as well and you can use 5.56 ammo in it.

Worth checking out if nothing else.

ive a howa 223 looked at few different rifles before i bought it( also theres a good test on 223 packages onlinehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6GXR5XjNLs )

found the howa suited me best and the package deal was excellent value for money ,it worked out very pricey to buy a tikka t3 then a mod ,scope,bipod ect compared to the howa deal.its shoots tight groups and has accounted for many a fox.i feed mine 55 grain hornday bt"s,one thing i will say the stock if its a hogue are bit flexy on front ,i changed mine for boyds thumbhole it made a excellent gun a far bit better,

Edited by remmy1100

Good morning gentlemen

Having just received my variation for .223 ( to reduce fox numbers on my permissions) I have to now go and buy one ... I was going straight for the budget howa with relevant scope and mod ... I know these shoot quite straight and are quite reliable but was wondering if any of you fellas had anything to say ref this outfit ... Or can you recommend another outfit and any other advise ref foxing for the beginner would be gratefully received....

Cheers

They've recently introduced the Howa .223 with a 1-9 barrel rather than the regular 1-12. You might have to look around for one but our club had a good deal from Ivythorn Sporting. The faster twist will allow you to shoot heavier bullets if you wish.

I looked at the Howa stainless in .223. Not a bad looking rifle, felt good to handle. Didn't like the scope that came with the package deal though. After a lot of self debate I decided to spend more and went for a browning x bolt in stainless with flouted barrel. So glad I spent the extra cash on thex bolt though.

What ever you decide the howa is a cheaper rifle with a good performance from all the read ups I have found including talking with many people who actually own a Howa, best of luck with what ever rifle you decide to go with.

ive got a howa 223 sporter and one in 22.250 .both shoot bang on .the stocks are flexi but will it make any difference when shooting fox...not one bit.i did try a boyds stock on the 223 but makes no difference .both will shoot well under an inch groups.the trigger on the 223 is the old one and I just adjusted it to my liking..two stage on 22.250 and perfect out the box.all depends what you like and how much you want to spend...most rifles will today will shoot pretty good out the box...personally rate the howas highly..

I have a 223 how's stainless with a houge stock and love it. Mine loves 55gr Winchester varmit x and shoots potatoes at 250 yards every time if I do my bit .

Ive no problem with flex in the stock shooting off sticks or bipod.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would

Is there a minimum bullet weight and closed season for Potatoes? :lol:

Is there a minimum bullet weight and closed season for Potatoes? :lol:

I dont recommend 55s for potatoes at all, specially the varmint x, far far too much damage, there's nothing left for eating. There's no closed season but I cant see the point in shooting them too early, your better of waiting till the main crop are ready, or its chips for them all. :yes:

In the same situation as the OP. I went to the Sportsman gun centre in Exeter today. Very helpful chaps and a good range of different rifles to shoulder, which was a very useful exercise.

I looked at the Sako, Tikka t3 Hunter (wood) and the Lite (synthetic), browning A bolt, Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700, Sako, lovely wood, heavy barrel, too heavy for my purposes and the usual barrel channel issues that so many rifles have. Didn't like the balance of the Browning A bolt, felt characterless. Weatherby just reflected its budget price,the Tikka t3 lite seemed leagues ahead of the others in almost every way and for me, was a clear winner.The Tikka just felt so much better balanced and pointable. I like walnut, but as this is a long range rifle, I can't be doing with the accuracy variables that wood gives with temperature and humidity. Had all that with the HMR, and accuracy improved in leaps and bounds with a synthetic stock. At the end of the day, its so much about personal choice and budget. Good luck with your choice.

I dont recommend 55s for potatoes at all, specially the varmint x, far far too much damage, there's nothing left for eating. There's no closed season but I cant see the point in shooting them too early, your better of waiting till the main crop are ready, or its chips for them all. :yes:

It's closed season on chains tho ;)

Shoot them in the eye, I tell yer

Come on chaps, about time we had another PW potatoe shoot!!

I like all the potato talk, not tried them only the odd pinapple or pumpkin.

I have been the proud owner of the stainless. 223 Howa for about 4 years. It's reliable and accurate. I've taken plenty of foxes through the ear hole at up to 250 meters. My profile picture was a crow at 191 meters hanging out the back of my L 200.

The only thing I could say bad is possibly a bit heavy? With the sonic 45 Mod on, but I'm lucky where I have a lot of land I can drive around on, so an issue if on a bit of a hike.

No desire to change, however I'm just about to get myself a .243 and looking at T3 or X Bolt. Probably T3. That's only due to wanting something different.

It's a thumbs up from me.

Good look.

:lol: Sorry for my foolish comments. I would have to wait until they were baked potato size to stand a chance of hitting them.

Howa are pretty good rifles for the price, Weatherby Vanguards are basically exactly the same with just a difference in the stock and trigger (2 stage). I had a Vanguard 2 Varmint for several years in 22-250 and it was spot on the whole time I had it. I was put off by the Howa stock at the time as it was fairly flexable and felt like it's price tag which was why I went for the Vanguard 2 (much better stock than the Vanguard 1 and trigger). Both options give you some room for modification later down the line should you want it, though if you were thinking of modifying it further down the line a Remington 700 would give you more options or a sako/tika as they are fairly standard base actions for semi custom rifles.

If you want a no frills, reliable rifle that dosn't break the bank and shoots well then you won't go wrong with the Howa.

Friend of mine shot a Howa 223 here against single shot customs and more than held is own at 300 yard gongs. For the money it is very good value and as a sub 300 yard fox rifle will be more than god enough. I do have a CZ527 myself and that is also a very good tool once the trigger is sorted out.

A