Damned asthma again

kyska

My daughters thirteenth today, shadowed by another attack on my four year old lad, this time a blues run with the ambulance at 5 this morning, the docs still can't control it now.

This has left me with the baby and my daughter, we had plans for all day lovelyness to welcome my lass into her teens, what a **** day.

I hate asthma, especially when it's this severe, no 4 year old should be panicking that he can't breath, I've shed some tears today.

Big plans for next weekend, poor daughter Remi, poor lad Sam.

It is a horrid affliction and I feel for your lad, you and your family.

Watching some of the TV coverage of the rickshaw challenge on the One Show there is a young lass from Scotland who suffers from chronic rheumatoid arthritis and has done all through her relatively short life.

I developed the disease at 38 and I am fortunate that it doesn't disrupt my life too much, but the thought of kids knowing nothing else through their entire life other than chronic pain I find terribly sad.

The amazing thing is her attitude to life, despite the rotten luck of having what is a cruel disease her outlook is hugely positive. So many adults could learn from the courage and selflessness of kids like her who embrace life despite significant personal adversity.

I very much hope that your young lad's condition significantly improves as he gets older and I suspect that he will develop an inner strength that will both inspire and humble you as he grows. I also expect that will result in huge pride for you of how your boy can handle things that reduce you to tears.

I'm a paramedic and severe asthma is the one job I dread. Usually asthma is easily treated, but if the treatment doesn't work then I've never felt more hopeless. That look in the patients eyes still haunts me. I hope everything has a positive outcome for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

Feel for your lad I developed asthma when I was 48. No asthma in my family and was told by my GP he thought I had lung cancer ( Not Funny )

Took ages to find a inhaler that suited me with a couple of blue lights and Queens Medical visits.

I now use a Steroid based inhaler once a day and have gone from struggling to walk 40yds to being able to cycle 20miles twice a week, Hang in there push your GP for help and your lad will have less and less attacks, the cold wet weather pushes MOULD Spores through the roof at this time of year and that could have been his trigger

Central heating can be a major contributor this time of year as it removes all the moisture from the air so more dust can float around, have you thought about buying a small humidifier for his room? A damp towel on the radiator of small container of water underneath it? Makes a huge difference to my asthma when it's bad

Kyska, if it is any consolation my nephew had terrible asthma as a child, many hospital runs, nebulisers, etc, etc. He is now 15 and plays rugby to a good standard and is also an up and coming long jumper and sprinter with some of the best times and jumps for his age group in Essex. His asthma is now a thing of the past.

My daughters thirteenth today, shadowed by another attack on my four year old lad, this time a blues run with the ambulance at 5 this morning, the docs still can't control it now.

This has left me with the baby and my daughter, we had plans for all day lovelyness to welcome my lass into her teens, what a **** day.

I hate asthma, especially when it's this severe, no 4 year old should be panicking that he can't breath, I've shed some tears today.

My heart goes out to you Kyska-I have no doubt that you have the best wishes for your son from every single member on this site-it may help a little to say that I suffered quite badly for a couple of years ,as did my Daughter, but we are now both fine so it must be possible to grow out of it-I hope the same happens to your lad-I have no luck whatsoever so I will pray that your son has my share.

So sorry to hear about this, but another ray of hope. I developed asthma around eleven or twelve and suffered dreadfully with for a couple of years, including a couple of emergency hospital trips. The first attack was terrifying, I honestly thought I was about to suffocate to death. It stopped in my mid teens and never came back, I'm now in my early fifties. I went on to do a full career in the army, run marathons and all kinds of physical stuff which asthma would have prevented. I don't know how common it is for childhood asthma to stop in adulthood but that's what happened to me. I hope the same happens to your lad.

Aye i wish ur boy all the best.

While things may not seem great the now it really is amazing how u can grow out of it and even now the treatments are far far better.

I cannae mind the blue light rides (seemingly there was a few) but i can remeber being stuck in oxygen tents for days on end and on 2 occasions for a week, not allowed to leave ur bed, bloody murder.

Long story but about 25 years ago i was round drinkin at my mates house (dad was my doc) as 15/16 yr old, all well blootered as u are at that age in those days and all other mates smoking, the docs comes home and really went mad at at me as thought i was smoking.

I had no idea wot was going on as been there drinking many times before and he never said much.

At school on the monday my mate appologised for his dad and his dad explained to him i was (at that time, dunno if still am?) the nearest person he has seen to dying that survived. Seemingly i was literally turning blue in anbulance and it drove right on the middle white line forcing cars to pull over on fairly narrow roads all the way to hospital.Seeminglly they were quite a few other times althou not as bad but i'm too young to mind.

That was about 35ish years ago and nebulisers were just coming out into use (or atleast in my area) used to be great big bulky box things but made a massive difference to me

It is a horrible thing at that age not being able to breathe but another few years it WILL get better, start swimming, sport etc.

I went on to play fitba for the region and captain my school side and asthma never really held me back 1 bit, esp after 8-10 and few folk would of had it s sevre as me in my youth.

So there is light at end of tunnel and nothing to stop him having a 'normal' life, probably more so now with modern treatments. I don't even carry a puffer with me as never need it

Dunno if is still on the go and ur son will be too young yet but BUTEKO? was quite a good thing for learning breathing excercises etc, used to be nightclass things in it.

Basically learning to control and slow ur breatheing and strengthing ur lungs when not having an attack and was developed by a russian Dr

I had asthma as a very young child, dad had to carry me to the hospital once or twice as a 5/6 year old back in the 60's. The only thing I hope will bring you some relief is that I completely grew out of it to the extent of completely forgetting about it throughout most of my adult life, then one day about 15 years ago I got a cough which just wouldn't go away, lasted 6 months during which the physical exertion brought the asthma back. It was my wife who diagnosed it saying I sounded wheezy and of course the doctors confirmed it, like others took a while to find a working inhaler which luckily I only really need when run down with a cold or something.

Hopefully your young lad will also mostly grow out of it as he gets older.

Mate I`m glad to hear his back home now and feeling better, I know how you feel as my 8yr old son has asthma as well, I still remember when it 1st reared its head when he was at nursery and my Mrs calling me in tears as he was taken to hospital as he couldn`t breath then me going down there to see him with the mask etc. not nice. Its now kept at bay with the brown pretentive and only having the blue one occasionally to the point it hardly bothers him I`ve just back from watching him at football training for an hour so it does get better even in a relatively short period of time.

On another note I don`t if you remember the advice you gave me re. the ILM ? It was defiantly the right choice for me as I'm learning lots from it and its helping me at work plus I`m enjoying it in the meantime. So a big thanks for your advice.