Earthmoving operators

la bala

I know me and ditchman are old muckshifters, how many more are there on PW. What do you operate, any pics.

In the photo is an old girl i used to operate in the 70s. It is a CAT D8H 22A, it was known as a string blade as it worked by steel cables driven from a winch on the back of the tractor. The little side kick is a CAT D4 towing a vibrating roller.

post-52836-0-63850100-1447191447_thumb.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just returned a Hitachi 8 ton 360 that was a pleasure to use. Quick hitch bucket change, smooth hydraulics and a decent cab with good track width. Dropped down a 2 ton Kubota today, usual mad hydraulic mish mash when trying to slew, curl and boom in so drop off controls til it's done.

I don't often have a banks man so am in and out of the cab a fair deal, apparently DVT is becoming a problem for some ops as the legs seldom move.

Oddly I can operate most plant from tele handlers to long reach demolition 360s but I can't drive a 3cx for toffee. I utterly despise them.

funny the slang names earthmovers and such get.........................Bala's "string blade"

what is termed as a "spikey bike".....................

Sounds like a self-propelled sheep's-foot roller.

Perhaps one of those compactors on landfill sites.

Edited by rjimmer

In forty odd years of muckshifting, i have never heard that word, are we talking V bucket ditchman.

yep "Vee" bucket......................i think the terminology comes fro "trapesium"......a 4 sided shape wider at one end than the other......basically a "v" ....on a padfoot compactor it needs to be wider at the base so as to shed the cohesive material................

yep "Vee" bucket......................i think the terminology comes fro "trapesium"......a 4 sided shape wider at one end than the other......basically a "v" ....on a padfoot compactor it needs to be wider at the base so as to shed the cohesive material................

Blimey that makes you sound so clever! :lol: :lol:

1976 Drott B100/Ford Ole-o-mat 360, John Deere 450 hydroshift

1977 Cat 955L

1978 Cat 951 A

1980 Cat 941B,Case 1150c

1984 Cat 943

1988-2005 Komatsu, Cat, Poclain 360 degree excavators all different sizes from 6 ton to 40 ton.

2005 - got out of saddle.........and if I ever see another one it will be too soon !!!!!!!!!