What is important when buying a generator?

Psyxologos

OK, so after spending three nights and two days without electricity, power is back in Lancaster. I was not too worried, to be honest, the only thing that I was not happy about is the fact that I have two freezers and two fridges full of food. Thankfully with getting 6 hours of power yesterday (after two days of power shortage) and not opening said freezers and fridges, the food is OK.

It got me thinking though, maybe look for a small generator. So what are the important points to pay attention to, when buying a generator? It will serve as an intermittent solution for a couple of hours a day (if it can handle longer use then so much the better) and will power the freezers and fridges so it maintains low temperature. I am looking at machine mart for example, and they have a couple of diferent types. I have highlighted two, the small portable ones here and what I guess are more powerful petrol driven generators here. What sort of output should I be looking at? the problem is that some state the kW and others the kVA, which complicates things. Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

Edited by Psyxologos

Add up the loads from the fridge, freezer etc, and buy one that will cover it, 800w should do,

we can see 3 powerstations from here, but have never lived in a house with so many powercuts,

I made sure the kitchen ring covers the central heating pump and an outside socket, when the power is off for a few hours I throw the master switch on the fusebox, and plug the genny in to the outdoor socket, tv and undercounter lights, even broadband.

when we had floods in selby in 2000 the power was off a week, some bright spark had built the towns substation at the lowest part of town,

First stage is to work out the wattage of what you want to power, say its 2kw you really need a genny with a peak output of knocking on double that so say 3.5kw if you are going to run it contiuously for long periods. Its illegal (and stupid) to store petrol so diesel is the only real option for power cuts when you won't be able to buy fuel because the pumps don't work.

If you can buy red diesel so much the better, we can buy it from a local boatyard, but they might want to see the genny first. You can also run a diesel genny on cooking oil which is not as daft as it sounds.

Edited by Vince Green

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not fussed about plugging in many devices, one freezer at a time for a couple of hours, just to keep temperature at a decent low, maybe a little bit more. Why do i need to look for at least double the KW I need? Is that a safety net?

Good point about the diesel vs petrol, I noticed that the lower priced generators are all petrol. Any idea if I should be looking at a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine?

thanks again!

For a small portable feeding direct to multiblock with freezer and fridge need at least 2.2kva to cope with motors starting up and can be used with microwave and kettle when not being used with white goods.

For house power, You need to put an isolation switch between main fuse and domestc circuit as you cannot connect a generator to house mains without it, otherwise repair engineers get electric shock .

If serious and expecting more power cuts go for something that only needs Fuel once every 7 hours or more with a honda or briggs engine.

Rating, 4.5kva (32 amp like a mains ring double socket) will supply enough to run normal house direct into mains isolater assuming gas cooking and gas/oil heating.

If you have electric cooker, need to have at least 10kva and if electric heating, 20kva.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not fussed about plugging in many devices, one freezer at a time for a couple of hours, just to keep temperature at a decent low, maybe a little bit more. Why do i need to look for at least double the KW I need? Is that a safety net?

Good point about the diesel vs petrol, I noticed that the lower priced generators are all petrol. Any idea if I should be looking at a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine?

thanks again!

The output figures for a genny is its peak output running flat out,. for comfortable running long term, ideally, you want it running in its mid range not caning the conkers off it struggling to keep up. Noise, engine life and fuel consumption will be better and it gives you the option to run something else off it from time to time. It really depends how much margin you want

If you only want a few hours a day once a year consider an inverter and run if off your car battery then run you engine to keep the battery topped up.

Edited by Vince Green

I have one diesel 2.5kva self starting and it just sips fuels cheap to run but it's rather loud but diesel can be left in the tank and don't need to worry. Then got a 3.2kva Honda petrol good quite enough but eats fuel like no tomorrow. My 3rd one is a 800w kawasaki suitcase type very quite n not bad on fuel ether

The most important issue should be reliable starting. I've got a diesel generator with electric start, but it also has a recoil start cord. Very noisy!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-BDG3500E-Electric-start-Diesel-generator-/401036963302?hash=item5d5faa6de6:g:ImsAAOSw~bFWQldA. There are several on Ebay with the same output but I think the prices of others have been mis-printed.

Edited by rjimmer

The most important issue should be reliable starting. I've got a diesel generator with electric start, but it also has a recoil start cord. Very noisy!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulldog-BDG3500E-Electric-start-Diesel-generator-/401036963302?hash=item5d5faa6de6:g:ImsAAOSw~bFWQldA. There are several on Ebay with the same output but I think the prices of others have been mis-printed.

Thanks for that. I never thought that prices were that high for diesel ones. For something I will not be needing often (I hope) perhaps I should look on different options...

I have a few small generators for some of my remote outbuildings only used occasionally and because they are quite desirable to the thieves I have bought some of the cheap Chinese models from eBay 2.8 and 3 kv I will say they have been extremely reliable and although left for sometimes months they have never failed to start some being over eight years old now.As for diesel if you are only using now and again get petrol they cost pennies to run.

I have a 2.2 KVA with a Honda 4 stroke engine whatever that means, got it for running a few tools on the marshes and its fine but trips out if I try my 9inch angle grinder, will run my cement mixer, lights ect no probs. I paid £200 second hand

Best advice is get the biggest your budget will allow but not by going to an unknown power end, if you stick to the likes of Honda engines ect its the best chance it will work when you need it, every now and again some Irish lads come round the farms our way selling units with an un named petrol engine best kept clear of for a number of reasons!

It's amazing how big a generator u need to do anything.

I was advised need 3x times wot u think is max wattage. A kettle is 1 of the hardest things to run of a genny.

For wot ur talking about i would probably stick with a petrol for price, and as someone said if u run it on Aspen don't have to worry about it going off

I bought a really cheap 1 out of Aldi last year, completely rubbish, never realised how little it powers, will do a submersible pump or 4" grinder but thats about it's limit, but it was only 50 quid, think either 800w or 1kw

Don't get a two stroke - starting can be a problem if left for any time.

Thanks for that. Indeed, reliability is an important concern here. I need it to perform when I need it, and this will hopefully be not too often at all, with large time gaps between instances...

Have a look at stephill generators i might be able to sort a deal out on the price for you if you fancy one of these

I am looking at them right now. They look impressive, but maybe a bit too much for what I need mine to do, and with a price tag higher than I am hoping to pay (£150-£250) .

Thanks for the suggestion. Again, spending circa £500 is a bit too steep for me, considering I will hopefully not use one very often at all.

Local Tool Sales in Blackburn have some generators - big enough and cheap. They are obviously not Honda, but I have had a large air compressor, jack, petrol jet washer and MIG welder from them - fine, with decent warranty.

Just Google them - all in stock.

Edited by Gordon R

Since a generator is only used infrequently, petrol going stale is a big issue unless you use Aspen or similar type of fuel. The carb gets all gummed up and the jets get blocked so it might start but it doesn't have enough go to produce the goods..

I'd never heard of Aspen before. Sounds perfect for this application.