Squealing/ringing noise

WinchesterDave

Noticed about two weeks ago, I decided to go through a large puddle fast (yes-immature) in my Jimny. However, when on 'dry' ground again theree was an awful Squealing/ringing noise coming from what seemed to be the front left of the vehicle and lasted only a few seconds.

Today whilst on way to train station, there were largeish puddles on side of the roaday, traffic circumstances meant I had to drive through them and water splashed up and I put my wipers on full blast to get rid of the water quickly enough. ...however same noise occurred again?

any ideas?

Thanks

WD

okay...I'm not massively established in car mechanics/maintainance, is that easy to do? and how come that noise happened when going through water? :s

hello, that as others mention would be my first thought, step by step guide on the web just google info how to tighten up a fan belt on a ????? and size of spanner/spanners required, oh check belt for damadge.

Almost certainly fan belt, easy peasy fix, will be slackening a couple of nuts, giving the alternator a shove and then tightening again. A good job to start your DIY car maintenance journey.

Also drive through puddles slower so as not to create a tidal wave in your engine compartment :)

Just watch with a petrol esp when driving throu puddles, if water can get into the air intake u can screw up ur enginge big time. Cannae mind where the air intake on a jimny is.

Can mind the od SJ's had distrubter caps can't mind if jimnys did

Seemingly ur car is not insuerd if u drive hrou a road closed sign and it gets flooded. Only heard that recntly with the floods as often road closed signs will be up after road is passable but at ur own risk

I used to have a car i had to take the fan belt off to take tke short cut throu the river or it would splash water into the distrubuter cap but most motors won't have 1 off them nowadays, that was out in the bush in OZ

I thought the majority of modern cars used auto tensioners for the aux belt? As for the sucking in of water, it happens on diesel and petrol cars dep where the intake is! A good friend drove his 206SW hdi through a puddle and hydro locked it, resulting in bent con rods.

At a guess I would say the ringing is the belt slipping round the air con pump causing it to resonate!

Edited by Lord Geordie

I have the Wagon R 1.3 and every bow and then I need to lube the alternator shaft as it starts to squeal a bit! I mix wd40 and a bit of engine oil and pout it down a mini funnel and some 5mm piping. Saves trying to get an oil can into such a small area

The genny is right at the back on them and the ignis. Great engines.

Interesting idea, but the bearings are sealed! Usually the gen bearings will rumble not squeal when they are defective.

Could your oil be finding its way onto the belt? Masking the squeal!

A slight adjustment of tension on our ignis soon stopped it.

The genny is right at the back on them and the ignis. Great engines.

Interesting idea, but the bearings are sealed! Usually the gen bearings will rumble not squeal when they are defective.

Could your oil be finding its way onto the belt? Masking the squeal!

A slight adjustment of tension on our ignis soon stopped it.

When I oil the shaft just behind the pulley it shuts it up, I agree, they are cracking engines, I will be looking to move to the 1.3 ignis after this one!