Fac air or 17hmr/22lr

Hendrix's rifle

Hello all, as some of you may know I am soon applying for my fac. I had a thought a few days ago to whether or not I get a rimfire. So the question is, do I get an fac air? A 17hmr or a 22? I was mainly going to use it for rabbits however I have spoke to a couple of people who recommended the. 17hmr. I have also spoke to the head keeper in my area who I have worked for before and he is allowing me to take any pests (squirrel,rabbits and fox) on his grouse land. I have between £400 and £600 to spend on a gun, i have a new hawke 4-16-50 ao ir scope with mounts so no need to worry about that. Any suggestions? Or is there a recommendation by anyone in terms of what to get? Thanks all :)

A lot of police forces don't like 22LR for fox (though guidance says it CAN be suitable in experienced hands and at short range), and FAC air is listed as 'not suitable' for fox on the Home Office guidance.

Apart from that, range is another critical point. I (and plenty of others on here) view 22LR as having an upper range of 70-80 yards - though there will probably be some walter posting who states it is good for 200 yards or more !

If I was going for a single rifle, for general pest control, I'd go 22LR.

I loved my 22, but the op states he would be using it on the moors, suggesting open ground, and longer range which the 22 isn't really up to. For a rimfire, for general vermin, on open fields/moorland surely the hmr would be a better bet? Definately not air if you are planning on shooting fox, but hopefully he already knew that.

A lot of police forces don't like 22LR for fox (though guidance says it CAN be suitable in experienced hands and at short range), and FAC air is listed as 'not suitable' for fox on the Home Office guidance.

Apart from that, range is another critical point. I (and plenty of others on here) view 22LR as having an upper range of 70-80 yards - though there will probably be some walter posting who states it is good for 200 yards or more !

If I was going for a single rifle, for general pest control, I'd go 22LR.

Thanks for the reply, I wouldnt use air for fox anyway, would a 17hmr be more suitable due to the velocity? I wouldn't be shooting past 100-120 yards regardless what I am using at present. Any recommendations for a fox rifle that would be granted on a first ticket? Edited by Hendrix's rifle

any pests (squirrel,rabbits and fox) on his grouse land.

this implies open spaces and ranges above what i would want for an air rifle (even FAC air)

.22lr can be had for £100-150

as a first rifle I would stick to that and learn it well

I am not an HMR buyer, I have one, but its a cabinet queen and the barrel hasnt been on for ages

I use the .22 WMR, cheaper to feed, cheaper to buy and the ammo quality is significantly better

for your budget £400--£600 you could get both .22lr and a .17hmr 2nd hand.

+1..2 x czs .22 & .177.your feo will advise on fox calibre,some ok with .177 and at up to 100 yards works..22 much cheaper if big rabbit problem...although you will probably find .22 stays in cupboard if you get both.

Just out of interest, what sort of ranges can you push the wmr to? It's not a calibre I've ever had anything to do with

I zero at 100yds

Good for 120-130 point and shoot, never needed to stretch it any further to be honest

Anything likely to be beyond that I use the .222

I used the wmr exclusively for fox on golf courses for years

Thanks everyone, so to summarise, get a. 22wmr and a 17hmr? What are the odds for something a little bigger for fox use only? Anyone got and brands that are preferred? I've heard the cz are good but that's just on the Internet, thanks again

i have both i cz, have a 22lr cz452 and a cz 455 thumbhole, both deadly accurate , 22 out to 100 yards i favourable conditions and the 455 have shot out to 150 i again favarouble conditions, cheap ammo and will meet your needs. super reliable tried and tested rifles.