Which pickup?

wildfowler.250

So I've narrowed my car choice down to either a freelander2 or a pickup. I basically need a car for general running around,(some 4 hour long motorway drives every other weekend), muddy tracks for wildfowling, and stubble fields for pigeon shooting ect. Im keen on the FL2 but also strongly considering a pickup as the mpg will be similar. What's 'best'? The new ford ranger is beaut, heard good things about the l200 for mpg and Nissan have a new Navara coming out?

Only downside I can see is street parking in Glasgow... I'd want something with a cab for the dogs and gear. Done plenty searching but appreciate any thoughts before I part with a small fortune..

I would look closely at the new Navara out in Jan, I had a 62 plate Navara until earlier this year and found it comfier than the Amarok which I test drove before changing (end up with a Disco... dogs and dead thing smell...!). I didn't like the Amarok at all but have a friend with one who loves his.

Have another friend with 3.2 Ranger who loves it, and another with a DMax who feels similarly. TBH I think the pickup standard has gone through the roof in the last 12 - 24 months in an attempt to break the Hilux stranglehold. Wouldn't worry about parking too much, I regularly parked my Navara and L200 before in Glasgow, some of the multis are tight (Q Park Waterloo St!) but most pickups have parking sensors as standard now, if not cameras.

Oh aye and as said exploit the BASC discount!

Cheers guys, had no ideas about these discounts! How much does SAC give you off the ranger? Might be worth joining just for that. Just read a review of the dmax and sounds quite good. Just wonder why you don't see as many going about as the hilux/ranger/navara ect

I would look closely at the new Navara out in Jan, I had a 62 plate Navara until earlier this year and found it comfier than the Amarok which I test drove before changing (end up with a Disco... dogs and dead thing smell...!). I didn't like the Amarok at all but have a friend with one who loves his.

Have another friend with 3.2 Ranger who loves it, and another with a DMax who feels similarly. TBH I think the pickup standard has gone through the roof in the last 12 - 24 months in an attempt to break the Hilux stranglehold. Wouldn't worry about parking too much, I regularly parked my Navara and L200 before in Glasgow, some of the multis are tight (Q Park Waterloo St!) but most pickups have parking sensors as standard now, if not cameras.

Oh aye and as said exploit the BASC discount!

Thank you!

I rate the D Max.

I'm on my second. Auto is very good. Returns 36 mpg. Camera on the back means you can park it up to 20mm from the car behind. People in the car behind can get a bit excited when you do it!

This one is just coming up to 36000. Last one did 40000, before I traded it in for my latest one.

Very good off road. Runs 2wd, if you need 4wd turn a knob. If you need low range stop and turn knob again. Simples. Traction control in low box only needs grip on one wheel and it will pull you through.

You can probably tell I like them.

• 2 weeks later...