Oil or grease

darren 67

I'm surprised only GingerCat uses grease. Although I admit I'm not remotely an authority on shotguns, I have stripped and serviced a couple and I used a very small smear of lithium grease on the joints and moving parts and lightly oiled the rest. I would have thought that thin oils, such as 3 in One, would be fine short term but won't last, and as a gun cleaner was used (which probably degreased it very well) the joints, sears and pins could be left vulnerable with such a thin oil.

Certain oils will dry out leaving a gum that turns into a varnish. Last gunsmith who serviced my gun used Fully synthetic engine oil and rubbed on all pins when rebuilding the action. Everything inside got a very thin coating of it. All heavy load areas like hinge pins and between forend and action gets grease.

Some good videos online on how to service and relive your action.

Red devil grease to be exact. I've not used 20% of thr tube and I've had it 5 years easy. Cost about a fiver. Awesome stuff and if it's good enough for the rails of a semi auto (and a bike chain) it's good enough for those hinge pins and ejectors.

Lubed the 390 up and blasted my way through few hundred carts and the grease wa pretty much as I put it on. Highly recommended.