Permission letter template

My permission letter is a lot simpler ...

I, (farmers name), of (address), do hereby confirm that (shooters name), of (address), has permission to conduct pest and vermin control on the land at (the above named farm), using any lawfully held firearm.

(additional bit that my farmer gave, because he's nice). In addition, (shooter) may have up to one (1) person with him as a guest shooter, if he so wishes.

Public liability insurance must be held by (shooter) and any such guest.

This permission can be revoked at any time

Signed ...

Date ...

What about something along the lines of:

"By issue of this letter, I (INSERT FULL NAME) (hereby know as 'The Landowner') of permanent address (INSERT PERMANENT ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER) hereby give (INSERT FULL NAME) (hereby known as 'The Shooter') of permanent address (INSERT PERMANET ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER) permission to shoot on land that I have legal ownership of / the legal right to grant shooting permission upon (DELETE AS APPLICABLE) at the address of (INSERT LAND ADDRESS).

The grant of shooting permission to The Shooter is subject to the following conditions:

1) The shooting of (INSERT QUARRY SPECIES) for the purpose of (INSERT PURPOSE EG PEST CONTROL) with a (INSERT WEAPON TYPE(S) and CALIBRES)
2) The Shooter will notify The Landowner before and after shooting via (INSERT COMMUNICATION METHOD EG PHONE CALL)
3) The Shooter will have valid shooting insurance at the time of shooting
4) It is the sole responsibility of The Shooter to uphold the current UK law at all times with regards to firearm ownership, use and quarry species
5) INSERT OR DELETE OTHER CONDITIONS AS NECESSARY

This agreement can be terminated at any time by either The Shooter or The Landowner by sending written confirmation to the other party via letter or email to the corresponding address provided above.

This agreement comes into effect by the signatures of both parties as detailed below:

Name of The Shooter: INSERT NAME
Signature of The Shooter: INSERT SIGNATURE
Date: INSERT DATE

Name of The Landowner: INSERT NAME
Signature of The Landowner: INSERT NAME
Date: INSERT DATE

Please also find accompanying this letter a map of the land for which shooting is permitted, showing legal land boundaries"

Edited by Exudate

Not that I am decrying letters giving consent in any way but I have never had a single one. My shooting is all done on trust and good manners all round.

I think he is after somethin in case plod are passing by,

Can't see the farmer being too impressed at 3 in the morning because someone has called the police and he hasn't got a permission slip,

It's more piece of mind I think, especially as they are new perms

:shaun:

I think he is after somethin in case plod are passing by,

Can't see the farmer being too impressed at 3 in the morning because someone has called the police and he hasn't got a permission slip,

It's more piece of mind I think, especially as they are new perms

:shaun:

Yes, exactly that, my other grounds I shoot over are club permissions so documented, it's is just incase anyone chooses to question me, I don't want to cause the landowner any inconvenience.

There was a ridiculously complex one on here years ago, I couldn't believe how many people were printing it off an using it.

If you need anything, I would keep simple and to the point, it doesn't need to be any more than few lines.

Agreed. Some of them are just too long. Does the farmer care what type and calibre of gun you are going to use?

And to Exudate...I'm not nit-picking, but the shooter should uphold the law, not withhold it. But maybe only if he's a sheriff. :lol:

You might want to change that. :good:

Edited by walshie

Agreed. Some of them are just too long. Does the farmer care what type and claibre of gun you are going to use?

And to Exudate...I'm not nit-picking, but the shooter should uphold the law, not withhold it. But maybe only if he's a sheriff. :lol:

You might want to change that. :good:

Yes, thanks for noticing, duly edited. Damn auto-correct on my iPad! :-)

I've had both extremes, where a simple email from the landowner to me saying that he's given me permission to shoot has been fine, whereas one landowner wanted something very in-depth, like the example I posted up above.

Yes, thanks for noticing, duly edited. Damn auto-correct on my iPad! :-)

I've had both extremes, where a simple email from the landowner to me saying that he's given me permission to shoot has been fine, whereas one landowner wanted something very in-depth, like the example I posted up above.

You must live in a posh area. Landowners round here don't know what a computer is, let alone an email. :)

My permission letter is a lot simpler ...

I, (farmers name), of (address), do hereby confirm that (shooters name), of (address), has permission to conduct pest and vermin control on the land at (the above named farm), using any lawfully held firearm.

(additional bit that my farmer gave, because he's nice). In addition, (shooter) may have up to one (1) person with him as a guest shooter, if he so wishes.

Public liability insurance must be held by (shooter) and any such guest.

This permission can be revoked at any time

Signed ...

Date ...

This looks good to me, simple but to the point. Would it suffice if I were to be putting in for FAC (with the landowners knowledge of course)?

This looks good to me, simple but to the point. Would it suffice if I were to be putting in for FAC (with the landowners knowledge of course)?

If putting in for FAC, you'd need to send a copy of that letter in with your application, ideally along with a map showing the farm location and boundaries. This is just to make everyone's life easier (and hopefully quicker), as your initial FAC will probably be 'closed', so the police will need to pass the land for use with the calibres asked for. Shading in the farm boundaries on the map wouldn't hurt matters either.

You must live in a posh area. Landowners round here don't know what a computer is, let alone an email. :)

I've only ever had that sort of top-heavy agreement (like the one I posted) once, and that was for a very large, corporate land owner. The farm where I decoy pigeon was just a phone call, a visit and then a short confirmation email, so that there was something in writing. At the end of the day, all you need to do is prove you have permission, and a one sentence email or letter from the landowner to you serves that purpose.

I've only ever had that sort of top-heavy agreement (like the one I posted) once, and that was for a very large, corporate land owner. The farm where I decoy pigeon was just a phone call, a visit and then a short confirmation email, so that there was something in writing. At the end of the day, all you need to do is prove you have permission, and a one sentence email or letter from the landowner to you serves that purpose.

You should see the contract i had to sign for a Gamekeeper on another permission, its one stop short of an internal cavity search..

If putting in for FAC, you'd need to send a copy of that letter in with your application, ideally along with a map showing the farm location and boundaries. This is just to make everyone's life easier (and hopefully quicker), as your initial FAC will probably be 'closed', so the police will need to pass the land for use with the calibres asked for. Shading in the farm boundaries on the map wouldn't hurt matters either.

Excellent, thank you. I see no harm in applying for FAC, I'm sure that the process wont get any easier and i can demonstrate 'good reason' (Rabbits and Corvids beyond shotgun range)