Best all-round 20g cartridges

What do you guys use as a good all round fibre game/pigeon cartridge in 20 bore and how much are you paying?

What do you think to 24/25g vs 28g in 20's?

I've not been shooting my Miroku MK60 20g for long but have been using Hull High Pheasant in 6 shot and tried the Extreme version in 6's too which I believe are actually a 5.5 ish size?

They aren't the cheapest but there doesn't seem to be much more than a tenner a slab difference with a lot of 20 gauge game stuff??

Gamebore Traditional Game and Eley VIP look good for the price but I haven't tried them.

The other Eley ones only seem a quid or two cheaper per slab so it's probably worth the extra.

If they are available in a 7 shot I can practice at my clay ground as that's the largest I can use but I won't be doing a lot of clays with this gun as my 12g is obviously cheaper.

Are there any other online/mail order suppliers other than Just Cartridges?

My local gun shop doesn't stock many 20's and they tend to be top end game stuff.

Chris.

Now having just moved to the 20 bore arena I was keen to try various different cartridges and to be honest the ones I have found to be the most consistent performing are the RC JK6 T3 in either 7's or 6's - nice fast cartridge and was pleased with the results. When I could not get these I tried RC 20 SIPE in 7's and these were just as good. I tried the ELEY, Gamebore, RIO (which were dire) and HULL and they were good but I personally felt they were not as consistent. It is true most of my testing was on clays but given I do not use the 20 for pigeon shooting - scared of scratching it - then that is all I can use it on for now.

Have found RC Sipe fibre 26gm 6.5 (UK) shot to be a good staring point. Not sure why you don't want to use them but I get all my cartridges from Just Cartridges and have always been happy with the service.

I've not tried the RC's but might give them a go.

It's not that I'm not happy with Just Cartridges, I get a lot from them I just wondered if there were any others with a different range or better prices that I wasn't aware of.

Mate of mine, a lifelong 20 shooter uses VIP, he rarely misses anything and using big shot he can reach further than most can with 12s.

There is no such thing now as a bad cartridge, whatever you decide on use it and stick with it. Buy 1000 to start with as it may take a while to get used to its speed, you will have good days and poor ones but you will know that the issue is not with your cartridge as it has performed well in the past.

A

The RC's seem to be a favourite from what I've been reading on here and other sites so I've ordered some Sipe 26g 6's and Sipe T3 28g 5's plus some Hull Pro Twenty 21g 7.5's for the clays.

Will have a session on the pattern plate and clays this week and see how I get on with them.

I might get chance to try them on pigeons later on.

I really like my 20 bore and have started taking it along with my 12 and starting off with it and if it's a slow day it doesn't really cost me much in cartridges. If the pigeons start flooding in I can go and switch to the cheaper gun but so far I've not been that lucky!

I've had my Miroku MK60 20 bore (Teagued) for six years. My cartridge of choice is Lyallvale special twenty fibre 28 grm 6's. Mainly for pigeons, rabbits and crows. Have tried RC's successfully but their availability locally is inconsistent.

I tried the Hull Pro Twenty's on a round of clays yesterday and to say they were only 21g they didn't feel as light on the shoulder as I expected. They did the job though.

I also tried the Hull High Pheasant and Extreme and they seemed like very nice cartridges. The 30g ones had a bit of a kick as expected but were nice.

I liked the RC's a lot and they did have more kick for their size but seemed very fast.

I didn't have chance to do more than a single pattern shot with each but they all performed well.

I think of the ones I tested the 25g High Pheasant and 26g Sipe were my favourite so I'll try some proper pattern testing with them.

I've ordered a few Eley VIP and Gamebore Pure Gold in 28g 6's to try too.

Really like this gun and I took it out rough shooting for the morning, it's so much lighter and faster handling than my big old MK38 Sporter.

Well I got my order delivered today from Just Cartridges and for the second time in a row they have either mixed up the order or substituted some other cartridges.

I ordered some Eley VIP and Gamebore Pure Gold but they have sent me all VIP's but in the two sizes I ordered.

Last time I ordered some RC Sipe and T3 and they sent all Sipe.

Not sure if they substitute things as standard when out of stock as I'm sure when they call me for payment they usually tell me if there's a problem with any item.

Not usually a big deal but I was wanting to try out something different.

Well I got my order delivered today from Just Cartridges and for the second time in a row they have either mixed up the order or substituted some other cartridges.

I ordered some Eley VIP and Gamebore Pure Gold but they have sent me all VIP's but in the two sizes I ordered.

Last time I ordered some RC Sipe and T3 and they sent all Sipe.

Not sure if they substitute things as standard when out of stock as I'm sure when they call me for payment they usually tell me if there's a problem with any item.

Not usually a big deal but I was wanting to try out something different.

That sounds unacceptable. I would call Charles Bull right away and inform him of the situation.

surprised they did'nt mention it to you..although I really like the vips in the 20g prefer to pure golds.

They usually do so it seems odd it's been the last two orders and they must have read it as they have sent 28g #6 and 30g #5 that I asked for but just not the right ones lol

I'll give them a ring tomorrow when I get chance.

I'm sure the VIP's will be good, I just wanted to try a few different ones and try some pattern tests.

That sounds unacceptable. I would call Charles Bull right away and inform him of the situation.

Spoke to someone else there today as Charles was out (it was Charles who took my order) and they apologised as it's rare they make a mistake and even rarer twice in a row. They are giving me free delivery next time so I can't complain.