'The' muntjac buck

Dunkield

Well one of them.

I posted on here some time ago (about a year, I can't find it now) about a pair of muntjac bucks on my patch I had been made aware of.

Having been given the heads up I saw one of the pair a few days later and for various reasons was happy just watching it and not squeezing the trigger.

Fast forward a year and I have seen one of the two, assuming its the same paring, in another area of the estate a few times recently.

Out early doors this morning enjoying the sun coming up, I mostly looking for roebucks, then I saw in the distance two muntjac bucks fighting.

Having never witnessed this I watched through my bins for a bit and then realised it was the two big boys slogging it out.

Once they had finished sparing, one stayed hidden in cover but the other one came out into the open.

And here it is, it's obviously a medal, having compared to my other one it may well be gold - but only the CIC can verify that officially.

IMAG3043 (Medium).jpg

IMAG3046 (Medium).jpg

Thanks.

Having seen the damage to their ears when they have been fighting I suspect this was just a bit if a turf war as they chased arround manically for a few minutes. I was good to see though, for a while I forgot all about shooting.

Also pleased with the shot, I went through a phase of pulling really close woodland shots and was starting to lose confidence but now most of my shooting is out in the open this time if year I find I am taking longer (in stalking terms) shots really confidently. He was the 5th deer I shot last week and none were under a 100 yards, he was 152.

Buying a cheap slightly higher bipod to get above the grass has meant not having to use sticks all the time.

The head is in the freezer at the moment I will speak to the taxidermist tomorrow and update this thread once it is mounted and scored but that won't be for a while.

50 cal

.223 really

I very quickly ran a tape over the antlers and they were 11.5 cm and even, so if the span and diameter are both good and they include the brow tines it should make gold. Not massively though, you wouldn't believe how big the mega bucks antlers are.

• 3 months later...