BT home hub 5

Mungler

So, after 2 years of having no internet or wireless issues, I get sent a new free home hub 5 and now it's nothing but aggravation and 'can't get an ip address'.

Someone once told me that you should put anything that bt give you for free straight in the bin.

So techie people out there what's the best home hub router shizzle out there?

The apple thing with in built terra drive looks good, but what do I know!?

Cheers all.

Life is too short for this sort of nonsense

Can't help you really. But I can slag off bt with the best of them. We went through 3 hobs in about 5 months all were rubbish, I bought extra hotspots to go around the house and it was still as bad. In the end I got them to tear up the contract with no cost to myself. Since then I have been with Plusnet and they have been great even without the hotspots and with them it is even better. My big concern is I have been told that Plusnet are owned by bt.

They tried to get me to pay postage for a Home Hub 4 last week, were told politely it was a pile of ***** and that they could keep it, lady on the other end couldn't understand why I did not want it as it was 'free'.

I'll stick to my Netgear D7000.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/D7000.aspx

Edited by Stonepark

We're with BT and have Home Hub 5, most of the time broadband is OK but does occasionally slow down to a crawl or stops altogether.

Hard to say why. Is it our ancient computer? Is it everybody else trying to use the internet at the same time? Is it Microsoft permanently trying to either update Windows 7 or download Windows 10? Is it all the other software that runs, unasked and unwanted, in the background always, apparently, checking on whether it's up to date or what? I have tried to shut down all software except anti virus but a lot still seems to "do its own thing" whenever it pleases.

We only stay with BT because we have been with one other who was incredibly worse!

We're with BT and have Home Hub 5, most of the time broadband is OK but does occasionally slow down to a crawl or stops altogether.

Hard to say why. Is it our ancient computer? Is it everybody else trying to use the internet at the same time? Is it Microsoft permanently trying to either update Windows 7 or download Windows 10? Is it all the other software that runs, unasked and unwanted, in the background always, apparently, checking on whether it's up to date or what? I have tried to shut down all software except anti virus but a lot still seems to "do its own thing" whenever it pleases.

We only stay with BT because we have been with one other who was incredibly worse!

For the last couple of hours I have been trying to reconnect to broadband. Don't know why it went down and yes it is the BT system.

This concerns BT,I've been with Virgin for 15 years ,apart from a problem I had with them about 3 year ago I was quite happy .any way decided I would get BT infinity & TV. For BT sport ,It was supposed to be installed yesterday,the hub a the rest of the kit is supposed to come the day before.i got an email saying both engineer & kit were coming same day,so I rang BT I was told it's ok the engineer carry spare kit hubs ,TV box etc,so engineer arrives yesterday morning,does the line & b&b conection,and says that's it.i say what about the TV box & hub .ahh he says he doesn't do that it's easy to install I will be able to do it myself.bearing in mind I was paying for install.I was told you do it .hes adamant they don't do it any way he's got no TV box etc.so off he goes,I'm straight onto BT any way after waiting 30 mins to speak to someone I was well wound up,so decide they can stick it,so cancelled it.then was asked will you give us another chance ,as politely as I could I said no way,

So then I get emails saying I need to send there kit back,and they would send me a bill .so as you can imagine I wasn't too happy .went on live chat ,after a morning wasted I'm calm now.and I thought vm were bad,but BT never again

Edited by besty57

I think that the above is very credible. I'm with BT and at the moment am using a 3 hub with no problems. I also have a 4 hub but that was a bit troublesome so went back to the 3. I have noticed that sometimes systems seem to act up as if there are things going on in the background that aren't really apparent. Why is it that you just get used to using something and then over night they change the way it is and you have to re learn how to use it. Why is it necessary to keep updating to a new windows which generally is a load of poop. XP worked blooming well until some bright spark decided to make it 7 and now 10 which has already being upgraded. as for the supplier I don't really think that is all of the problem. don't forget that whoever you use the line system is operated by BT. The exchange. the lines. the engineers are all BT. You dont see a virgin, plusnet or vodaphone van up at the exchange it is all BT.

Edited by fortune

Have Infinity 1 with BT, live in a village, fibre to the cabinet, copper to the house. Home hub 5 became faulty varying speed from 17mbps to 34mbps so contacted BT. They ran a check, confirmed hub faulty and despatched a new one which I received next day, excellent service. Also received callback to check all was well, now a steady 38mbps, I'm happy.

Whilst writing this, just had a final callback from BT checking all is in order, can't complain about that !

Edited by longspoon