Petrol pumps

tonker

I picked up some petrol this morning, and whilst I have noticed it before with different pumps, this morning was the worst. You stick the nozzle in and the pump says make sure the register is at zero! Which you do and then you squeeze the trigger.................. The pump starts, and your cost start racking up! but nothing is coming out of the bloody pipe. It was well over a quid this morning before anything came out :hmm:

It seems funny to me that as soon as you release the trigger the pump stops and not a drop more comes out, I think they're getting the best of both worlds. Call me a tight **** or cynical if you like, I'm both probably :yes:

Has anybody else noticed this

The blotted out word wasn't that bad honest!!!

Edited by tonker

They are all regulated and frequently checked. I cannot imagine that you are being short changed.

It's more common than you might think, a tesco got fined a fortune not far from me for short changing its customers, although I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, it could of been happening for quite some time before it was found.

It's more common than you might think, a tesco got fined a fortune not far from me for short changing its customers, although I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, it could of been happening for quite some time before it was found.

If it is that common where is the evidence? They are regularly inspected and checked. I cannot remember seeing any stories about firms being fined or convicted of short changing fuel customers.

I don't know but the local shell to me something must be going on there as the customs weight and measure people are frequently there about once every 3 /4 weeks and locals say you don't get the millage from the fule compared to other garages. But pumps can go faulty I oneed had a tesco pump that filled my 90 liter tank from quater full to full for 15pound. No joke the nollze and gun you had to hold it hard that much fuel it was pumping

The Weights & Measures visit every filling station at least once a month and make surprise visits as well. As for the miles per gallon issue. That could be down to any number of things.

Would be well pleased if that was the case following the cuts in services?

If it is that common where is the evidence? They are regularly inspected and checked. I cannot remember seeing any stories about firms being fined or convicted of short changing fuel customers.

Well it was in my local paper and they were fined so unless the paper was lying I'd say that is evidence

Edited to add link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7974289.stm

Edited by 12gauge82

Well it was in my local paper and they were fined so unless the paper was lying I'd say that is evidence

Edited to add link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7974289.stm

That is one filling station. How many are there in the UK? How many people fill up every day? I put 'prosecutions for overpricing at fuel pumps' into Google and got two results. Not exactly common.

The answer to the OP's question is answered on here............

http://www.tradingstandardsblog.com/petrol-pumps/

No but it does happen , there,s a garage on the road to Ashbourne Derbys who i stopped to fill up at and got about 10 quid,s worth for my 30 quid .They got trading standards around and big fined so no mr Poacher its not common but by crikey your absolutely peeed off when its you /Dont care if its 1 or 10 % its a ****** when its you atb

Of course it happens. The Tesco prosecution was down to a mistake, not a deliberate attempt for gain. Mistakes happen in any industry. But 12gauge82 said that it was more common than I thought, yet only gave one example. Now we are up to three examples over a period of several years in over 8,000 filling stations. Hardly common.

Of course it happens. The Tesco prosecution was down to a mistake, not a deliberate attempt for gain. Mistakes happen in any industry. But 12gauge82 said that it was more common than I thought, yet only gave one example. Now we are up to three examples over a period of several years in over 8,000 filling stations. Hardly common.

ask them for a job fella and you can keep us right!

The Weights & Measures visit every filling station at least once a month and make surprise visits as well. As for the miles per gallon issue. That could be down to any number of things.

How do you know that..?

I'd be amazed if that were the case.?

Cat.

That is one filling station. How many are there in the UK? How many people fill up every day? I put 'prosecutions for overpricing at fuel pumps' into Google and got two results. Not exactly common.

The answer to the OP's question is answered on here............

http://www.tradingstandardsblog.com/petrol-pumps/

Why so pedantic? Only trying to be helpful with a reply, ive herd of several cases hence why I said it's probably more common than you think, it probably doesn't make national news very often but I've got better thinks to do than have a argument over how often petrol stations short change customers, so have a nice evening

How do you know that..?

I'd be amazed if that were the case.?

Cat.

I did a job with them just before I retired. They (at that time) visited every filling station at least once a month and measured the fuel dispensed against a calibrated measuring device. I'm not aware of any changes to that policy.

The point I am making is that just because someone knows of one example of a local garage short changing people that doesn't mean that it is common practice across the country. If it was there would be many more prosecutions and reports in the papers.

Why so pedantic? Only trying to be helpful with a reply, ive herd of several cases hence why I said it's probably more common than you think, it probably doesn't make national news very often but I've got better thinks to do than have a argument over how often petrol stations short change customers, so have a nice evening

It would make local news and that would be picked up by Internet searches given that many local papers also have online editions. If you have other examples then please feel free to post them to support your point. I'm sure that you could find time if you really wanted to.

http://m.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/10441019.Fuel_pumps_found_to_be_delivering_short_measures_across_Wiltshire/?ref=rc

Here's another seven cases, I'm not saying it's regular just more often than you appear to think. It's probably quite small amounts when it happens and is probably very rarely reported to the media, I have however herd of several cases so it obviously does happen

We have all had fuel that was rubbish and didn't get anything like the power or mpg your used to. Happens regular round my neck of the woods and it's not confined to one make of fuel either. My wife comments often on this.

On other hand we have had some fuel where the car has been flying along and mpg was fantastic, suppose it's down to how well it's blended and how old the fuel is.

Biggest thing I've noticed last few years is why do the pumps run so bloody slowly, it takes ages to fill your tank when not that long ago it took half the time,

Never had under filling issues but yesterday couldn't believe the excellent mpg to London (needle barely moved) and back, need to find some way to complain. Years ago I had a pump malfunction with the auto shut off so about a litre ended up on the floor :|, I was going to let it go so just mentioned it as I went to pay only to be met by an angry manager claiming I must have caused it. :hmm: His angst lasted about 3 seconds. :lol: