Windows 10 Again

billytheghillie

Same here. Kept fobbing it off until last week when I made a digit mistake and now I have it. I could have cancelled but decided to let it run and complete the upload. I'm not the brightest computer user but soon managed to get the hang of it. One advantage is that it has considerably increased the speed of things. I'm not sufficiently au fait to be aware of any possible adverse effects, though.

My upgrade went well and the only problem was my printer, had to get updated drivers. I understand that it is only free until 29th July.

The update takes a long while to download, check and update so do it in the morning as it will take several hours

10 has been out nearly a year now and all the early bugs appear to have been sorted quite quickly. From late July onwards you will have to pay for the update.

Note that with 10 the monthly updates are fully automatic and take place in the background and when your PC is switched but dormant.

When you first install it one of the things it will do is download any outstanding updates which adds to the time for installation.

When I installed 10 on this PC last year it took about an hour to download and another hour to install but I am on fibre at about 38 whatsits speed.

Vic.

Slowly been upgrading all laptops and PC's in the household, did the last laptop last night and all went well again. So far I've been impressed with Win10. Much more stable, and a lot quicker, plus you get back some of the good features and easy navigation from previous to 8.1 op systems. 8.1 was a pain, enjoying 10.

It still ****, crashes all the time, some old programs not completely happy running in compatibility mode. Mines crashed trying to uninstall a program, and now its point blank can't remove it. Re-installation just installs another copy of the prog elsewhere.

Things like media player now have to be bought as an add on, the free versions are not a patch on what was with win 7. Win 10 might be free, but MS try to recover the money with all the add on. Will be going back to win 7 at some point, but good old MS have cocked that up as now in Win 7 hotmail accounts don't work properly with the old email programs.

I have a graphics driver update that needs doing, but again the driver package screws up the graphics and needs a system restore to return it back to operational condition. If you tell the driver package never to install the update you can't as you get a nag screen saying the driver needs updating.

I did one of the laptops last weekend. It seemed to take hours to sort itself out. For some reason it can't seem to connect with the router to get online now. I also did a map update on the Satnav and that seems to have problems also. I have not had the time to get into them this week so it looks like I will have to have a crack at them this weekend. perhaps Son in law might be floating around and I can use him as a spare set of brain cells to help me. He is quite good at this sort of thing.

BerettaSV10, on 17 Jun 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:BerettaSV10, on 17 Jun 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

It still ****, crashes all the time, some old programs not completely happy running in compatibility mode. Mines crashed trying to uninstall a program, and now its point blank can't remove it. Re-installation just installs another copy of the prog elsewhere.

Use revo uninstaller it's free and works.

Steve.

Edited by PLAGUE

Have installed windows 10 n my desktop. Computer gone totally blank.Neither my son r daughter could get a response.

Took laptop to local pc doctor. £80.00 later no joy.

Phoned Hewlett Packard. Yes we can fix.Windows 10 has **** it up. wrap it up for collection.£150.00 please.

Would have been better with new pc.

3 weeks later not returned yet.

I was upgraded a few weeks back whether I wanted it or not! I knew that I had a 30 day period to switch back, but have given it a fair go. The good things:

• It seems to be a more stable operating system. After some issues with security running "7" and having to reinstall, my system kept crashing which being self employed, was doing me no favours. I had found previously that "7" whilst better than what came before it still had some worrying security issues and it still wasn't the most stable operating system around.
  • It seems to be faster in operation
  • It seems to have retained some of the features that I liked about 7 and also some of the better ones from the disastrous "8"
  • Programme files and settings require a different route to find them but it is easy when you get the hand of it. Programmes are not called programmes in 10 but are re-named "Apps" in keeping with the intention that Windows 10 can be run on notebook, PC, tablet etc;

The not so good things:

• It keeps prompting me to upgrade my graphics card and unless you check your system power supply details, you run a risk of burning it out if installing the suggested packages. If you think what you have is adequate, best to keep it and ignore the soundcard and graphics upgrade promps...they're not needed. If you're a gamer, then chances are your machine is already up-specc'd wrt power supplies.
  • It is not compatible wit some programmes that I had been running plus it has altered the default settings for things like Canon DPP which used to automatically download photos from my camera. Now I have to download them usimng the default Windows 10 system and then open Canon DPP to work on RAW files which is annoying but not a deal breaker.
  • It uses more memory
  • routes to settings take more getting used to.

Overall, whilst I detest the ethos of Microsoft Corp and the fact that they hijacked my machine (I'm guessing that the legalities are tied in with the user agreement for microsoft operating systems already installed so there's no comeback on them), I rather like Windows 10 and it will be staying. It is reputedly more secure and seems definitely more stable and faster. There's little not to like to be honest.

Edited by Savhmr

I posted asking a similar question some months ago and despite reading all the pros and cons avidly, I am still undecided.

Win 7 is working fine for me on my desktop and I have no problems, but I have seen in the past MS's neglect of "older" operating systems, when they get a few versions ahead.

I have Win 10 on a tablet and its OK, but sometimes difficult to find things, that could be due to tablet restrictions and may be better on a desktop.

At the moment I am leaning toward, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I haven't got to use it on the laptop that I downloaded it onto because of various issues but what little I did use it I felt a bit lost. Kind of like I missed the lesson where they showed how fractions worked. Although I have been using computers for a long time,started on DOS then win 3.1 then XP then 7 I sort of felt like a rank beginner. "This is a computer? Yes this is a ******* computer".

Edited by fortune

Use revo uninstaller it's free and works.

Steve.

thanks it got rid of the main prog that would not un-install and there were plenty of junk files it found as well, still some unwanted remnants of other progs that it cant find even though you can see them, but win won't let you delete.

If you want to upgrade to windows 10 then boot your PC to a windows 10 installation disk format c: and reload. NEVER 'upgrade' a microsoft operating system unless you want terrible performance and loads of compatibility issues.

Windows 10 however sucks, it slows everything down and really offers nothing of value over windows 8.1. I have over 500 windows PC's I manage and they are all running either windows 7 pro 32 bit or windows 8.1 64bit with the classic shell start menu added.

Edited by srspower

Well I had two people working on it today for several hours and they managed to get the laptop to link up with the router but it won't show any page before it times out. I quite like the look of 10 but it has to work. If we can't resolve this issue then we will have to try and revert to 7 pro If it can be done or chuck it in the bin. Why can't they just stop generating new version of windows most of which have been a load of poop.

Well I had two people working on it today for several hours and they managed to get the laptop to link up with the router but it won't show any page before it times out. I quite like the look of 10 but it has to work. If we can't resolve this issue then we will have to try and revert to 7 pro If it can be done or chuck it in the bin. Why can't they just stop generating new version of windows most of which have been a load of poop.

I doubt that is anything to do with it being Windows 10 ...

In my many searches for recommendations, it is often said that your computer, incl all the software, has to be uptodate and functioning well for the Win10 install to be totally effective.

Out of date software, drivers, etc., can mess things up.

One "expert" said that if your computer was more than 3 years old, forget it.

In my many searches for recommendations, it is often said that your computer, incl all the software, has to be uptodate and functioning well for the Win10 install to be totally effective.

Out of date software, drivers, etc., can mess things up.

One "expert" said that if your computer was more than 3 years old, forget it.

That could be right mine was 6 years old and would not run it properly. Fortunately I dropped it and the screen succumbed :) . New Lenovo works a treat.