Shotguns v Cars

ChrisAsh

The forum always has a statement like" x brands are great value they never lose any money when sold years later" and so on

Do the gun owners ever consider the cars they buy, and how they relate to seconhand prices further down the line, especialy when car prices are often many time the shotguns value

New car say £20,000 next day worth a good few thousand less

Never had a new car or a new bike ever, or new house for that matter, Guns i have had a few new ones, but never really considered the resale vallue ever when i purchased them.

I have made a few quid in my time selling guns, but never took it seriously or considered it a viable thing to do, making money in the gun trade must be tough i imagine.

I have a mk1 Ford Focus RS in the garage, paid 10k for it 6 years ago and it's increasing it value now from what I paid....I've got to enjoy a car for all that time and hasn't lost any value, although I have only done 20k in that time.

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Bought a 110 defender for £1200, kept it 10 years and sold it for just under £4000. Bought a Disco for £700 (as a short term motor), kept it 12 months and gave it my son who kept it another 12 months, he sold it yesterday for £1100.

You can't beat land Rover for going up in value :good:

Do the gun owners ever consider the cars they buy, and how they relate to seconhand prices further down the line, especialy when car prices are often many time the shotguns value

Well, that depends on how pricey your gun is :-) My last gun was more expensive than my last car, but then my last car was second hand.

I had a new car just once, when my husband worked for a company in the Ford network, and we got huge discount. Nice, but not worth paying IMHO. DH got a car with <500 miles on in that was <12 months for so much less, I don't personally feel the value has been depreciated that much from new; I don't value the newness.

It also depends on how long you are going to have your car for. I buy the right car and drive it forever. In fact, when my last car died after 118,000 (my fault for not getting a timing belt changed quickly enough) I found the same car in a different colour for less than my last gun cost. Okay, I had the first car from new and drove it for 10+years, but the next car was actually six months older than the first one, with only 18,000 on the clock. Suits me. I wish I was the kind of person who could keep a car (or a gun) pristine and sell it on quickly and have a new one, but I'm just not. So yes is your answer, I do consider the resale value or Total Cost of Ownership, and buy and keep forever is the economical choice for me.

I bought a new Freelander 2 back in 2008. I paid just under £24000 for it. Just under 14 months later, I had a email from the dealer (Stratstone) saying that they were looking for good quality 2nd hand Freelanders etc for their clients, and would give a good price for mine, against another new one. I took it down to them with just 7500 mile on the clock, and in excellent condition. They offered me £12,700. I declined their 'generous' offer.

On the other hand, I bought a mint condition Browning GTI Grade 5 O/U for £1800, and sold it 11 years later for £1600.

If you bought a miroku MK - 70 in 2000 and a MK-70 in 2014 and wanted to sell either today, both in new condition, the difference between the value of both guns wouldn't be much different.

Bit different to a Ford Focus 2000/2014.

If you bought a miroku MK - 70 in 2000 and a MK-70 in 2014 and wanted to sell either today, both in new condition, the difference between the value of both guns wouldn't be much different.

Bit different to a Ford Focus 2000/2014.

The numbers may be similar but the value of the money is less

The numbers may be similar but the value of the money is less

MK70 in mint condition from 2000 would make £800

MK70 in mint condition from 2014 would make £900

1.6 focus Zetec in mint condition from 2000 10p

1.6 focus zetec in mint condition from 2014 £6000

All estimates, but not a million miles out.

Edited by markm

I wonder if anyone has taken into account the running costs of cars, tax, fuel, servicing, tyres, etc etc. Add that lot up and take it away from the end value and I bet you are into the negative funds.

OK we put cartridges through our guns but we spend nowhere near on its maintenance.

MK70 in mint condition from 2000 would make £800

MK70 in mint condition from 2014 would make £900

1.6 focus Zetec in mint condition from 2000 10p

1.6 focus zetec in mint condition from 2014 £6000

All estimates, but not a million miles out.

I'd say you're penny perfect. :lol::good:

I spend very average money on guns because they're tools which only I use, typically lost about the equivalent to £40 a year on shot guns bought new when considering their market value today.

Although I have had mega motoring with cars, they can't be thought of in the same way as guns because they really do move on in terms of modernity and the fact that the whole family gets to enjoy and use them makes losing fousands worthwhile.

My first car was a 1974 Mini Clubman which after 3-1/2 years of use I sold for £420 losing a mere £50 - an old Rav 4 which I owned for 3 years cost me the same in depreciation.

If and when I do buy that £10k gun it'd be for keeps so the depreciation will be all but immaterial.

I bought a new Freelander 2 back in 2008. I paid just under £24000 for it. Just under 14 months later, I had a email from the dealer (Stratstone) saying that they were looking for good quality 2nd hand Freelanders etc for their clients, and would give a good price for mine, against another new one. I took it down to them with just 7500 mile on the clock, and in excellent condition. They offered me £12,700. I declined their 'generous' offer.

I brought mine in 2010 and its been fine until a few months ago when the diff started to wine, Looked it up on the web and found they changed the diff a month or so after i brought it and plenty of complaints about rear diff. I contacted Land Rover and complained unfit for purpose when they sold me the car ( tough in cheek after 6 years) they replaced it for free, it's a keeper till i push up the daisy's

7 Years shooting see no point in changing gun low cost one; as like the landy it does its job and doubt my skill would improve with a better gun