Chris Packham/Grouse Shooting - Merged Threads

Savhmr

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately this is a fight that should have been heavily funded by the wealthy members of the shooting community for the last 30 years or so but most of them don`t really give a stuff about grouse shooting or anything else ,other than themselves .

That we now see ourselves on the back foot ,so to speak ,is no great surprise.

Moorkeepers and gamekeepers in general,have far more passion for their ground and birds than any of their employers.

Whatever we think of the antis ,they are passionate for their cause.

Do you actually realise how much it costs to own and run a grouse moor.

Sorry to disillusion you but you have to be passionate about grouse shooting to pump that sort of cash into it without any guarantee that you will even have sufficient surplus to shoot one.

Unfortunately this is a fight that should have been heavily funded by the wealthy members of the shooting community for the last 30 years or so but most of them don`t really give a stuff about grouse shooting or anything else ,other than themselves .

That we now see ourselves on the back foot ,so to speak ,is no great surprise.

Moorkeepers and gamekeepers in general,have far more passion for their ground and birds than any of their employers.

Whatever we think of the antis ,they are passionate for their cause.

I also think ur wrong.

Do u actually know any moorland owners with large grouse shoots?

Most of the 1's i know are very decent folk, almost every owner i've ever met has been very knowledegable and passionate about it (sure some keepers would say too knowledgable when they try to tell them which drives they should be doing)

Some are complete snobs but are so well bred and rich they don't have to prove it or boast about it if u know wot i mean. Not like some of the noveua? rich types

Slightly different in eng but I can think of quite a few moors employing grouse keepers that will realistically will never shoot grouse, but still pay there wages.

The vast majority of moors in scotland will not make money even some of the big ones, yet owners still spend the cash and employ keepers and all the expenses that means houses, motors, atvs, argos etc

I do a bit of picking up and beating on various moors from N eng right up to N scot if i can fit them in, and by in large the people who shot grouse are far more knowledegable shots than most guns i've experienced on lowland shoots, if they say they're is 5, 10 birds down more often than not there is.

Some of the marking they do is brilliant, marking birds down within m's 200m behind butts. I usually very impressed with them.

Some may claim that is the norm on lowland shoots but not any i've been to, a lot of guns have no idea how many birds they have down never mind where. Had many a long walk looking for a 'dead' or pricked bird that was never hit

Edited by scotslad

I also think ur wrong.

Do u actually know any moorland owners with large grouse shoots?

Most of the 1's i know are very decent folk, almost every owner i've ever met has been very knowledegable and passionate about it (sure some keepers would say too knowledgable when they try to tell them which drives they should be doing)

Some are complete snobs but are so well bred and rich they don't have to prove it or boast about it if u know wot i mean. Not like some of the noveua? rich types

Slightly different in eng but I can think of quite a few moors employing grouse keepers that will realistically will never shoot grouse, but still pay there wages.

The vast majority of moors in scotland will not make money even some of the big ones, yet owners still spend the cash and employ keepers and all the expenses that means houses, motors, atvs, argos etc

I do a bit of picking up and beating on various moors from N eng right up to N scot if i can fit them in, and by in large the people who shot grouse are far more knowledegable shots than most guns i've experienced on lowland shoots, if they say they're is 5, 10 birds down more often than not there is.

Some of the marking they do is brilliant, marking birds down within m's 200m behind butts. I usually very impressed with them.

Some may claim that is the norm on lowland shoots but not any i've been to, a lot of guns have no idea how many birds they have down never mind where. Had many a long walk looking for a 'dead' or pricked bird that was never hit

I don't think he's disputing the costs to run a grouse moor but rather the 'fight' he is referring to is the one of PR. That's how I read it anyhow.

I also think those involved are passionate about what they're doing, but the politics of shooting have increased dramatically over the last 50 years, and I think Mattone possibly believes ( as do I ) that having the wealth to indulge in grouse moors maybe isn't all it will take to ensure the survival of shooting on them.

One **** claims there were no hen harriers fledged on English grouse moors this year? I find that hard to believe! Perhaps she means no hen harriers were fledged on English non gamekeeper managed ex grouse moors this year?..........That I can believe!

Edited by panoma1

One **** claims there were no hen harriers fledged on English grouse moors this year? I find that hard to believe! Perhaps she means no hen harriers were fledged on English non gamekeeper managed ex grouse moors this year?..........That I can believe!

So can I. What would there be to eat on non keepered moors where foxes, stoats and corvids run riot?

Very good article but straight away anitis pointing fingers in the comments....

So have you replied to their comments?

But once again the antis are in full flow in the comments section. As a result I think the overall impact of any article about grouse shooting in The Guardian is negative.

Or you?

I don't think he's disputing the costs to run a grouse moor but rather the 'fight' he is referring to is the one of PR. That's how I read it anyhow.

I also think those involved are passionate about what they're doing, but the politics of shooting have increased dramatically over the last 50 years, and I think Mattone possibly believes ( as do I ) that having the wealth to indulge in grouse moors maybe isn't all it will take to ensure the survival of shooting on them.

Thankyou.

I have compiled a letter to the Charities Commission pointing out that the head honcho of LACS has openly lied for the sake of bias towards his agenda of ending shooting, and specifically in this instance regarding grouse shooting, by claiming that there are only two breeding pairs of HH in the UK, when in fact the RSPB estimates there to be over six hundred breeding pairs of HH in the UK.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered now, as I have since discovered that the BTO has claimed that the high numbers of Lapwings, Curlews etc, as stated as present on a 'Pennines' grouse moor and verified by the BTO is in fact false. The BTO have stated those figures did not derive from them.

I couldn't find any Pennine moors which had stated these figures, but after trawling social media have now discovered those figures were quoted by Ian Botham in his radio interview with Chris Packham! Much is being made of his 'lies' on the BTO's Twitter feed.

The only good thing to come of the 'Ban grouse shooting' petition is that now it has topped the required 100,000, (20,000 in the space of a couple of days and still rising, and was over 108,000) last time I looked!) it will hopefully be debated in parliament, where the FACTS will be aired.

I dont use comments sections on internet articles. And all it will do is get childish derogatory comments back...

Well they've won then.