Chris Packham/Grouse Shooting - Merged Threads

Savhmr

The best put down for him will be for all shooters to make a point, buying grouse from M&S. If they sell out everywhere it will be a second kick in the balls for him, following on from his poll. Add to that, share a picture of you eating the bird on Twitter, with him.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Packham knows full well that some of these petitions against his views are circulating, he's probably read BASC's recent response on his Mirror article as all such people tend to be quite organised with their campaigns. I wouldn't dismiss Packham out of hand as many on here seem willing to do. He is a dangerous man and his insidious views are widely publicised by many media organisations including the BBC, so millions of people ignorant of the facts are influenced by this man. We need to do all that we can to defend grouse shooting and land management which is all about conservation.

I have no doubt that this issue hasn't reached it's climax yet and that his ultimate aim is to hit the headlines with it. I'm sure that BASC are ready to brief the BBC and others with our side of the argument and more importantly to highlight some of the gross errors and mis-truths this man seems only too happy to spout.

I'm quite sure our organisations will brief whoever needs briefing, and even if that information reaches every media outlet via BASC's expensive media centre, that information wont reach the public like Packhams media campaign is doing.

When was the last time you ever saw a pro shooting organisation in the high street campaigning about the benefits of shooting? When was the last time you saw an organisation opposed to shooting campaigning in the high street?

I don't think I've ever seen an organisation opposed to shooting campaigning in a street near me. Maybe they do in larger towns or cities, but not here seemingly. We're on the same hymn sheet though as my exact point was that his campaign will be far reaching, and I do think that the message needs to sink in amongst the shooting communities that traditional apathy will be the death knoll of some of our legal pursuits unless we vigorously defend and promote in a positive light our activities. I think that the "new look" BASC is doing a better job than say a year ago by being more proactive with their publicity. We can't allow the likes of Packham to win, and really, he needs to be brought down a peg or too and exposed as the fraud that he is.

Grouse Shooting

The Environment Council suggest 50% of the suitable habitat for hen harriers is found on grouse moors, get rid of grouse shooting AND you get rid of 50% of hen harriers? Who's the friend of the Hen Harrier, Packham or the Grouse moor? The future is coexistence and yes any persecution of Hen Harriers plays into the anti shooting lobby's hands. The game keeper who kills a Hen Harriers does a better job than Packham!

Let's have a look at a real life case Langholm rather than Packham Disney World?: Between 1992 and 1997, hen harrier numbers rose from 2 to 20 pairs in 6 years on a driven grouse moor. Shooting was abandoned because the hen harriers ate over a third of all grouse chicks that hatched. With no grouse shooting, the local culture, economy and employment suffered and the control of generalist predators ceased. By 2003, 20 harrier nests were back down to 2 and numbers of breeding grouse and waders had more than halved. Predation was identified as the most likely cause of the declines. Grouse moor managers felt their worst fears had just been proven – this was a real lose/lose situation. Thus the solutions is Grouse Shooting and Hen Harriers

It was Packaham's RSPB that opposed "The Hen Harrier Joint Recovery Plan" & diversionary feeding. Why? Perhaps because The Hen Harrier has became cause célèbre, a whipping boy for the anti shooting movement - they actually don't want a viable sustainable solution? It seems they don't want a viable population of Harriers either! What they do want is an end to your sport!

Packham's vision of the future: Wales! Their moors once supported the most productive grouse moors in the UK as well as abundant populations of other birds; today they are all but abandoned. A study of an old grouse moor recorded that in less than 20 years lapwing became extinct, golden plover declined from ten birds to just one, and curlew declined by 79 per cent.

Data supplied by Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust

YOU CAN AND MUST FIGHT BACK: The Daily Mirror, which is running several negative stories about grouse shooting on its website. Visitors to the site are being asked to vote in an online poll: Should M&S drop plans to sell red grouse? BASC IS members to visit the site and vote NO on the poll link. Pigeon Watch members should do the same! THE LINK IS BELOW. Please circulate this email to your pro-shooting contacts and ask them to vote as well.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/springwatch-host-chris-packham-begs-8535831

Edited by Towngun

I don't think I've ever seen an organisation opposed to shooting campaigning in a street near me. Maybe they do in larger towns or cities, but not here seemingly. We're on the same hymn sheet though as my exact point was that his campaign will be far reaching, and I do think that the message needs to sink in amongst the shooting communities that traditional apathy will be the death knoll of some of our legal pursuits unless we vigorously defend and promote in a positive light our activities. I think that the "new look" BASC is doing a better job than say a year ago by being more proactive with their publicity. We can't allow the likes of Packham to win, and really, he needs to be brought down a peg or too and exposed as the fraud that he is.

I agree; we're on the same sheet. It wasn't a criticism of your post, merely an observation of what we're up against. I haven't seen any antis lobbying in the high street in my very rural part of the country ( I'm not sure they'd last long ) and although I have on several occasions seen anti organisations lobbying in the high street I have never seen a pro one. The GWCT is a registered charity and presumably impartial at least; does it lobby for funds in the high street?

Even at game fairs the likes of the RSPB and RSPCA often have stands. Are there any pro shooting stands at RSPCA/RSPB conventions, putting across our side of the story? Genuine question as I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Packham is a halfwit, but he's a focussed "anti" and he's slick in front of a microphone. Botham was not as clear in his arguments nor his presentation on radio.

The likes of BASC and CA should focus on getting Packham sacked - as soon as he's off BBC1 nobody will give a stuff what he says.

What is it about the BBC, nutters and nature? First Oddie losing his marbles, now Packham throwing a blob strop about grouse shooting.

Edited by Flashman

Botham was not very fluid and missed a few opportunities to make Packham look silly. There is a far better advocate than Botham, but his name disappeared when I typed it. The lad from BASC, who did the young shooters debate, would also have fared better.

Edited by Gordon R

Botham was not very fluid and missed a few opportunities to make Packham look silly. There is a far better advocate than Botham, but his name disappeared when I typed it. The lad from BASC, who did the young shooters debate, would also have fared better.

Isn't that the same chap who didn't mind having his name at the top of the alternative LAG report 'honours list'?

Or we could start a petition to demand Packham substantiates his claims via incontrovertible evidence re: driven grouse shooting and keepers in general!.....failure for him to do so will show him up for what he is!

He calls himself a "conservationist".......that's a joke! If grouse shooting and the revenue it generates and the jobs it creates is stopped then on economic grounds the landowners will have little option but to make all the keepers and moor managers redundant.........and as a consequence the unmanaged moors will eventually turn into to a barren wasteland (like the one the RSPB owns!) which supports a few sheep and holds nothing else but vermin and predators.......and even then it will only hold predators whilst the food supply which sustains them lasts!

But this is what Packham and the RSPB seem to want......they want grouse shooting banned and don't give a damn for the consequences!

Is a 100% force for good in the uplands? The more I look into it, and the arguments of opposition, I tend to think they do have a point in some regards.

Is the management of large areas of land for the benefit of one species, with other species been regarded as pests (and not always what 'we' would regards as pest species) a purely good thing?