guns up or down?

I honestly think that if oil running back down the barrels and ruining the stock / action is a problem, then you're using far too much oil.

After cleaning the barrels, I run through a very lightly oiled cloth, and then follow that with 2 goes with a clean dry cloth. The outside of the barrel is then wiped down with that dry cloth (which now has a very small amount of oil on it). The intention being to leave the smallest possible quantity of oil on/in the barrel - technically, anything more than 1 molecule thick is overkill.

i have an old rag that has oil impregnated into it through years of use that gets pushed through after cleaningand the outside of the barrels gets wiped with it also,cant see the point of having oil running down the barrels in the cabinet stored either way,and i do have some old english in there and all rust free.any guns that are not used for a while get a quick run through and wipe over with the rag every week or so,if you have a problem with damp in the cabinet best to sort that rather than oil slicks

If you store the gun muzzle down you eliminate any chance of oil running out of the barrels/action into the head of a wooden stock and (over time) soaking into it! To my knowledge there is no downside to storing guns muzzle down!

Edited by panoma1

If you store the gun muzzle down you eliminate any chance of oil running out of the barrels/action into the head of a wooden stock and (over time) soaking into it! To my knowledge there is no downside to storing guns muzzle down!

Not an issue for shot guns but I wouldn't want the crown of my rifles on the ground, getting knocks or scratches.

Stocks can get scratched and it won't impact on the accuracy of the gun, not so the crown.

Not an issue for shot guns but I wouldn't want the crown of my rifles on the ground, getting knocks or scratches.

Stocks can get scratched and it won't impact on the accuracy of the gun, not so the crown.

Even with shotties, I have foam rubber/carpet on the base and the 'good' ones have extended chokes so no wear on the barrel blacking.

I wouldn't want the crown of my rifles on the ground, getting knocks or scratches.

And That's what Thread or muzzle Protectors are for my Friend

I've not damaged a Crown or Thread on a Rifle by storing it down in 40 odd years yet👍

Yep down, add a packer of ply to raise the cabinet floor to save knocking barrels on the door frame

Same packer is soft both to the ends of shotgun barrels and rifle crowns.

A piece of card board on the ply lightly sprayed with oil stops any corrosion where the two meet