Battery Drills and impact drivers

Jaymo

I have an elec aswell as a windy gun already, only ever use for removing stubborn nuts/bolts

Tightening is always with a torque wrench if it's car/bike related- tractor gets the "that feels tight enough" technique.

Really like a batt impact for use away from the confines of the garage and some TrackDay work on removing wheels on the bike.

ryobi stuff is rubbish...........mate has 3 defunct drills......drills are fine the batteries are utter rubbish........

i have a lot of ryobi petrol and electric cable stuff ..and have no probs with them at all ...their cordless stuff is yet to impress me...

Edited by ditchman

I've never really liked battery drills or screwdrivers. But, I recently bought a Bosch 18V drill which really works! Plus it has two batteries and a one hour charge. I now rarely use a mains drill although it has to be said that the mains drills are considerably faster and do have the extra "power" necessary to hammer through hard bricks, etc.

So, it would appear that 18V is the way to go.

Ditchie - have a Ryobi SDS and it's been fine.

For cordless work over the past 8 years have used a cheapie which has been OK for light work 14.4v.

But it's throwing in the towel now and won't work in certain orientations.

Just looked at the brushless stuff on SF and it's certainly a bit a lot more expensive for us DIY types, think it's either DeWalt or Makita then

I use dewalt and I'm very hard on my tools I've got a selection of 10.5v stuff drill impact driver impact gun and saw the saw burned out after about a year but the rest of it is still going after 4 years constant use in a body shop

May be more expensive to buy but it's not been replaced

Also have an 18v drill at home that is also very good

Pay the money and embrace the yellow

We almost exclusively use Makita 18v for on site ( and in the unit for that matter ) work and have done for some years now. We're all self employed and our tools get some hard use, so choose our gear carefully and use both the drill and impact drivers. Some good deals to be had out there.

One of the lads has Bosch also, and I can't fault that either. The 4.5 AH batteries really create some torque also; great for driving in Timberlocks and structural spec bolts etc.

For a lot of years we had Panasonic cordless and they took some real hammer but always kept going.

Edited by Scully

I've had the six piece MAKITA lithium holdall set for 8yrs it came with three 3ah battery's all jiggered now and a few more besides, but the tools are all fine and I use them everyday, my only gripe was the battery's failing but there much cheaper now!

Edited by Wilksy II

What type of impact driver are you after?

Is it for fixing screws as part of joinery type work or removing nuts and bolts like mechanical work?

I have a 10v and a 18v makita sets for fixing screws etc and the chief fitter at work has a dewalt 18v 1/2inch impact driver that will take the wheel nuts off the busses and coaches at work.

My sets won't touch a wheel nuts on a car and his "gun" wouldn't be any good with a screw.

Personally I would stick with the tried and tested makes that fit within your budget.

Hope this helps

Edited by shoot and be safe

Does indeed help.

Nuts n bolts on the bike/car so a 1/2" impact driver with higher torque

Drill wise- nothing special as its for 6 to 8 mil concrete block work only.

Think the chief at work got his from tool station at £360 Including vat it's a cracking bit of kit and comes with 2 batteries (5ah if I remember correctly). Its save us alot of time when we get called out on a breakdown/puncture job.