Rats and decking

cromwell7

I've had decking down for over two years and never noticed any rats,

Yesterday and today the wife has spotted a few running about the decking.

She has phoned pest controllers and they have said they need to make several visits to make sure they are completely removed.

When my wife mentioned removing the decking he advised against it and said it will disturb them?

So my question is can't I just lay some poison and rip the decking up ?

Remove a part of the decking skirt and put trays of rat bait under the decking where you have seen them, keep topping up the bait every other day until they stop eating it and that should be the end of it. Would also like to point out it would be a good idea to leave some under decking permanently and check it a few times a year incase another batch of rats return.

Atb johnnythefox70 (pest controller for 15 years)

Edited by johnnythefox70

So bait them first then remove decking after they have had some time to take it ?

I don't want the hassle of neighbours seeing me, and I don't want to stir there for hours plinking the occasional rat and I don't have a multi shot pcp.

Are rats known to die under the decking if they've made a nest there though?

The wife has gone OCD on me and is adamant she wants it pulled up .

Edited by cromwell7

Have had decking for a few years now and have never had a problem with rats, not even when we had an itinerant pack from an old building demolition nearby. between me shooting them and the neighbour trapping them we took care of around 50. Not seen any since.

Are there weed barrier sheets under the deck? someone told me rats don't like it, maybe that's why I don't have scaly tales under the deck. If I do get them will have a go shooting again, if that doesn't work the deck will come up.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

look on the bright side at least with the winter coming on you will not need to use the nose pegs what with all of the dead rats rotting away under the decking not a big fan of poison the first question to ask is why are they there mostly it is food that attracts them probably bird food stop feeding the birds and the rats will go away if you must kill them use traps or shoot them if there is room to get underneath a good JR dog will do the job for you.

Yeh I've got weed barrier membrane down apparently they love it as its perfect nesting material.

Well I think it's going to come up this week.

Any want 3mx4.8m worth of deck boards collection only?

Last time a guy asked me if I wanted decking, I made sure I got the first punch in.

Never did let me back in to B&Q.

LS